How to make other people cant Inspect our items?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

The thing about alpha masks is that they're potentially a lot more precise and flexible than alpha-cuts. I know nobody cares about how many scripts our avatars drag around, but if an un-scripted alternative is easier and better, it might get popular.

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not, but I recently had some problems with alpha masking on my alt who, until like 2 days ago, was using a system avi.

I had made some pretty radical changes to my shape (to give it something like RL proportions), and suddenly the alpha masks that I'd been using for my sized mesh clothing no longer did an entirely adequate job of masking my body. I assumed that, because I'd essentially stretched and distorted my system body in moving away from standard proportions, the alpha masks I was wearing were also being stretched, compressed, or distorted, while the clothing itself (because it was unrigged) did not. So, essentially, the alpha masks no longer "fit" the clothing they were supposed to support.

Does that make sense?

And if it does, isn't that an argument against returning wholesale to alpha masking? Because you can't adjust it to compensate for customized shapes?

9 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Another theory: there isn't exactly an overwhelming mass of content for male avatars. Plain ole coincidence might come into play.

Oh, now that is a very good point, especially if an outfit contains items from a current or recent shopping event. Within a week of TMD opening for the month, half the male avatars on the grid seem to be wearing the latest Cold Ash product. And two avatars that share a "look" (grunge, goth, thug, DiscoBunny, etc) that probability of overlap must go up to like 90%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And if it does, isn't that an argument against returning wholesale to alpha masking? Because you can't adjust it to compensate for customized shapes?

Well you can always paint your own ones

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It absolutely happens when a body shape changes -- but it also absolutely happens to alpha cuts, because fitted mesh clothing can be only so precise. As an unusually scrawny male avatar, I am forever having to tweak creator-supplied auto-alpha (one of many reasons I get so exercised about no-mod mesh clothing - now made even worse by auto-alpha scripts). But this is all familiar to me because, back in the day, I also regularly created my own alpha masks to replace those supplied by creators.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Qie Niangao said:

but it also absolutely happens to alpha cuts, because fitted mesh clothing can be only so precise.

Yes, of course, this makes sense: like alpha masks, alpha cuts are still keyed to the overall body's proportion.

So, Fiona (and you) may be right: possibly the only way to really solve the problem is to produce custom alpha masks -- in which case, the ability to use those in BoM is an important consideration.

5 hours ago, naufalfaishal said:

I have a friend who always copy my style by inspect me again n again without permission

I look at it this way: the standard menswear offering - the sameoldsameold hoodies, jeans, sneakers, sweatpants, and sportswear - is ten-a-penny in SL. It's ubiquitous, and if a guy can't find that when there are six monthly menswear events stuffed to the gills full of it then there's no hope for him. If a creator of that kind of stuff stopped selling, then - unless their quality was truly standout and stellar - their disappearance would probably only be noticed by those in their update groups.

However, there are also people who make the slightly more unusual stuff: the Hotdogs, Gilds, and Contraptions of this pixel world. I want those people to stay in business, because they're making something different, something that I love and that inspires me. That's why I share all of my style credits to Flickr and am happy for others to inspect me and find out what I'm wearing. More people buying at those stores means those stores keep making stuff for me to buy.

5 hours ago, naufalfaishal said:

tomorrow he will end up with the brands i worn

Style isn't down to just wearing brands; it's how they're worn, how you combine them. If you've put together a look featuring items from 15 different stores and he's copied the exact same outfit, down to the very last detail, then you have cause to challenge him with a "Dude, knock it off with the twin thing, or I'll start wearing tacky velour tracksuits or drag". But if he's just picked up on some pants or a shirt or an accessory and he's wearing that his own way, he's most likely just happy that you've introduced him to a great new store.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 8

44 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wasn't there a small fad among the fashionistas some years back, where people would wear a very complex, but transparent object to prevent others from clicking on their attachments to inspect them?

As I recall, it didn't last too long.

Yes.
Kinda funny that anyone wearing one of those these days would probably be JellyDolled for pretty much everyone.
They didn't work anyway, you could just cam through the attachment or derender it  :D

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wasn't there a small fad among the fashionistas some years back, where people would wear a very complex, but transparent object to prevent others from clicking on their attachments to inspect them?

As I recall, it didn't last too long.

It was not only (< edit)worn by Fashionistas usually it was worn by people wearing copybotted items so people could not see they were copybotted by wearing them, it was just an excuse that the time they didn't want someone copying their 'style' where they were usually only all wearing the most popular brands that anyone knew on site anyway, often the best way to tell was their shoes did not have ankle locks because they were botted so their ankles were always broken and the tops of their ankles of feet in shoes jutting out to the side. Was fun times had by all made the limit on bans fill up very fast.

But yes there was a thing, a funny thing that was annoying to shop around if two girls wearing them were standing in front of vendors etc

Edited by Sasy Scarborough

47 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

usually it was worn by people wearing copybotted items so people could not see they were copybotted by wearing them, it was just an excuse that the time they didn't want someone copying their 'style'

Hmm. I used one for a short time but I've never bought/worn copybotted items and never copybotted anything. I wasn't the only one either. :S

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Hmm. I used one for a short time but I've never bought/worn copybotted items and never copybotted anything. I wasn't the only one either. :S

Usually not always, and I did not realise I did not type not ONLY worn by (sorry) fixing... why did you wear one though? I am curious, was it really to not let someone know where the sweater you were wearing was from or is there another reason I am forgetting. I know it got so bad with the theft that many stores had a policy if they were worn, the people were banned.

2 hours ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

Usually not always, and I did not realise I did not type not ONLY worn by (sorry) fixing... why did you wear one though? I am curious, was it really to not let someone know where the sweater you were wearing was from or is there another reason I am forgetting. I know it got so bad with the theft that many stores had a policy if they were worn, the people were banned.

Remember the MystiTool? The "tool" I used was similar. Back then, there were several active, shall we say, griefer groups, that were (more or less) terrorizing the grid. While the worst of those never bothered us, we still had to deal with a lot of griefers. So, we used those and they had a "shield" that supposedly would also keep people from inspecting. We didn't use the tool for that reason though. It was just a "bonus" you could say.

Never encountered any stores that banned me for using one. But then I tend not to abuse people and things. I want them to be around for a long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Remember the MystiTool? The "tool" I used was similar. Back then, there were several active, shall we say, griefer groups, that were (more or less) terrorizing the grid. While the worst of those never bothered us, we still had to deal with a lot of griefers. So, we used those and they had a "shield" that supposedly would also keep people from inspecting. We didn't use the tool for that reason though. It was just a "bonus" you could say.

Never encountered any stores that banned me for using one. But then I tend not to abuse people and things. I want them to be around for a long time.

Oh yes Whimsy had one for years, she used it for the radar. I meant the ones that were like forty spheres with a difference of .01 between each sphere and were made transparent and then linked,  and people wore them as an attachment and they used to have names that were really rude or attacking you for daring to inspect them, if you went into ctrl alt T it was like watching some sort of weird pacman attack especially if they were all dancing at a club. 

I remember the MystiTool for containing over 40 scripts, one of which was used to tell the owner what was being communicated on channel 1. Imagine all the n00bs getting one en masse when the thing was made available for free.

At one point, I heard of a MystiTool owner complaining about a product that was built by a colleague of mine, that communicated a lot on channel 1. This owner got flooded with object communication lines and demanded my colleague used another channel.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I remember the MystiTool for containing over 40 scripts, one of which was used to tell the owner what was being communicated on channel 1. Imagine all the n00bs getting one en masse when the thing was made available for free.

At one point, I heard of a MystiTool owner complaining about a product that was built by a colleague of mine, that communicated a lot on channel 1. This owner got flooded with object communication lines and demanded my colleague used another channel.

There was one before mysti (I think) that used to let people talk on the same sim in private but open chat, my Boss sold them in his store, they were a k each, used to rez jails around people if they were misbehaving, had the higher altitude speed feather thing etc. I just liked it because it was an earpiece...It was like being secret service or Madonna 😋

On 3/20/2019 at 7:27 AM, naufalfaishal said:

Hello Admin/Moderator/Guys, I wanna know how to make people cant inspect our items..

It's easy to inspect someone's clothing by right clicking their item n click inspect to know their item's brand..
I have a friend who always copy my style by inspect me again n again without permission i think, because tomorrow he will end up with the brands i worn

So..I'm Firestorm user, is there a menu in firestorm viewer to block people's inspect? or a script, or any other way? Thank you /\

I solve this problem in two different ways:

1. I wear ancient system clothing that's no longer for sale.
  2. I dress in a way nobody would want to copy.

Okay, those both might be the same way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

And you carry a pointy stick.

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
11 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

And you carry a pointy stick.

Not to mention her tendency to set folks on fire.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.