Will Second Life ever be ported to Stadia?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just saw Google's new unveiling of their Stadia. It is supposed to be usable on most devices.  Just wondering if there may be a possibility the Linden Lab or third party developer would be able to port Second Life to it eventually.  I believe it would be a great platform for expanding the Second Life world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Should be technically possible with not too much work, it's already been done.

It was done with the LL viewer & Firestorm viewer with SLGO
https://modemworld.me/2014/12/16/firestorm-is-sl-go-and-across-multiple-grids/
https://modemworld.me/2015/03/23/onlive-firestorm-now-on-android-and-ipad/

Unfortunately this service died when Sony bought out Onlive.

You can set up any SL viewer yourself to work through the streaming service Frame: https://fra.me/

Or you can subscribe to the Bright Canopy service which uses Frame as the back end to stream the LL viewer & Firestorm: https://brightcanopy.com/

These services work pretty well as long as you have a good internet connection.
The "problem" with them is they are expensive - the kind of bandwidth needed to stream Second Life isn't cheap.

• Like 2

Every time someone tries this the latency issues make any game that isn't an afk simulator almost unplayable. The big titles for multiplayer are mainly MOBAs and twitch shooters which rely on minimal latency and input lag. Game streaming services are inherently laggy in these ways.

SL would probably do well on something like that since what are you doing in this game where you need good reaction times or spend long periods of time constantly interacting with multiple controls?

But since it's bad for basically everything else, it'll die off. Just like all the other attempts at game streaming services.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cykarushb said:

Every time someone tries this the latency issues make any game that isn't an afk simulator almost unplayable. The big titles for multiplayer are mainly MOBAs and twitch shooters which rely on minimal latency and input lag. Game streaming services are inherently laggy in these ways.

SL would probably do well on something like that since what are you doing in this game where you need good reaction times or spend long periods of time constantly interacting with multiple controls?

But since it's bad for basically everything else, it'll die off. Just like all the other attempts at game streaming services.

That's only partially true. Competitive online games where ping matters the most - you are correct, streaming service is completely unusuable. But even for action based single player games it can be "ok", not perfect, but playable. See PS Now as an example, Sony provides PS2, PS3 and PS4 games through that and only PS4 games can be downloaded, the PS2/3 are streaming only. A lot here depends what is your ping to local node, if you're close enough and have good connection, then the difference is not too big (speaking from experience after comparing "local" version of a PS3 game vs how it works like through PS Now), but if your ping is bad, then input delay makes it quite awful for anything, but turn based games (rpgs mostly).

Considering that SL (for most people) is exactly afk simulator like you said, I think it can work through streaming just fine, given the not terrible connection. Then again, unless it's a temporary solution for someone during traveling, I'd say it's better to just save 250-300$ for some used hardware and make own PC, than subscribe to said service for 17$ a month.

Thank you for the responses.  Actually if it is ported to be usable by Stadia, a little more per month wouldn't bother me.  I do have chromecast on my tv (and my pc which I am using now).  I was asking because the Stadia should be able to be used with most devices (both the devices I listed will be in it when it comes out), I think I would definitely enjoy using my SL on my TV (48" HD). :)   Plus, if Stadia does work, that would open another avenue of access to Second Life to everyone which is a definite plus in my opinion.

• Like 1

Stadia would be perfect for SL. All rendering would be done on the Stadia servers and only the final video streamed to your non-gaming desktop, laptop, tablet, television and phone. A video stream is far easier to download than all the data SL normally pushes. SL is also not a multiplayer fps/action game which is the one thing Stadia might not work well with.

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

Stadia would be perfect for my SL.

Fixed that for you =^.^= already Trivia games would run into problems - and you can just forget about any kind of vehicles or combat. 

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

SL is also not a multiplayer fps/action game which is the one thing Stadia might not work well with.

But for everything that matters techwise it is.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

A SL friend uses a television as his monitor. Maybe yours can be hooked up to your computer too?

most modern TVs have HDMI input I have a TV as monitor myself

Edited by Fionalein

On 3/20/2019 at 9:04 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Or you can subscribe to the Bright Canopy service

😮 Here I was thinking Bright Canopy closed down years ago!

I've been working on/off my own project to offer a similar service however the way I am doing it is different to how others before me have which should hopefully allow me to offer it cheaper but it requires a lot more work to get setup :(

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.