On Hold. But Why?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, my account was put on hold on Saturday. I submitted a ticket, knowing it wouldn't be looked at until Monday. I assumed it was because I had been spending more money than normal and maybe they needed identity verification or something of that nature. I spent $40 on Saturday alone. :/ 

Let me just say... I really love my avatar. It's 90% of the reason why I get on SL. I've spent thousands of dollars on this game. It's a huge past time of mine and it breaks my heart to not know what's going on.

So, today after work I called LL and they were very kind and said that my account was being investigated by the Governance team. What does that even mean? :( The lady on the phone said to submit a ticket, which I did, and it was closed within 10 minutes.

I never received email correspondence as to why my account was put on hold. I feel helpless and sad. Years of my life and creative inspirations are gone. What should my next step be? Am I doomed? 

14 minutes ago, AscendingSaturn said:

So, my account was put on hold on Saturday. I submitted a ticket, knowing it wouldn't be looked at until Monday. I assumed it was because I had been spending more money than normal and maybe they needed identity verification or something of that nature. I spent $40 on Saturday alone. :/

Let me just say... I really love my avatar. It's 90% of the reason why I get on SL. I've spent thousands of dollars on this game. It's a huge past time of mine and it breaks my heart to not know what's going on.

So, today after work I called LL and they were very kind and said that my account was being investigated by the Governance team. What does that even mean? :( The lady on the phone said to submit a ticket, which I did, and it was closed within 10 minutes.

I never received email correspondence as to why my account was put on hold. I feel helpless and sad. Years of my life and creative inspirations are gone. What should my next step be? Am I doomed? 

Check your spam.  That is where a lot of people report their emails from LL end up.

Sometimes people get caught up in an investigation of someone else's bad behavior.  For example, if someone has been ripping off people by pulling a Marketplace scam or phishing for account access, they could turn around and spend their cash on stuff you are selling ---- making it look like you are involved in some kind of  money laundering.  Or someone may have picked you out of a crowd by mistake when they were griefed, and then filed an AR on you.  Who knows?  The Governance team will follow the money to see where it leads and will sometimes suspend accounts to freeze their assets until they figure out what's going on.  For now, just wait and see.

• Like 2

If you own land make sure all your payment info is up to date, also check that you have verified your email on the website. Just make sure everything on your end is up to date, and if you did spend more than usual and one of those things was something suspicious as said you are just caught in the net, but your time in SL should show all is ok, also did you log in from another location at any time? that can cause them to lock to make sure you are not being hacked.

• Like 1

Could be anything, as others said if accusations are not supported by evidence the governance team will reactivate your account after the investigation...

Let's look on the positive side: your account was not instabanned, so it was something that needs further investigation - which will prove you innocent if you are.

Some possible reasons that could make them go suspocious:

• you have a child avatar (Those always live dangerous)
  • you got a higher than usual tip recently
  • your sales suddenly increased without a plausible explanation
  • one single customer bought a significant amount of things, but only from your shop
  • you bought a full perm item, but unforntunately from a dishonest reseller/copybotter instead of the original creator

List could be continued for ages,... they won't ever tell you the reasons they did so (as that would alert the real baddies if they did so)

I know they don't have to go in all detail during the investigation. But the copy/paste replies and lack of any communication can be infuriating in cases like these. Even after a case is closed you will most likely not get a satisfying explanation.

• Thanks 2

Still in search, so unless that changes it's an admin hold or short ban and not a perma-ban.

You need to keep lodging tickets and ask reasons. Also, be aware that sometimes your avatar gets stuck and will report "This account is unavailable until 2064, please try later" which is a bug. Have a friend/alt IM them in world and then try logging into a new region, over type home with "Aswan" (be aware it's maintenance time this second, so might be wise to try later!)

Good luck. Bans and holds suck, but they are soon over :D

1 minute ago, AscendingSaturn said:

Thanks to everyone and their replies! My account was restored. :) The governance team must have done their investigation and found me to be innocent. Thank goodness! I was so worried. I appreciate everyone who replied.

WB to SL then, glad it turned out a false alarm.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.