Deploy Plans for the week of 2019-03-18

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server  (EEP going on Main Channel)

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/19#19.03.07.525089

Scheduled Tuesday 2019-03-19 07:00-10:30 PST

Second Life RC BlueSteel (no roll)

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/19#19.03.07.525089

Second Life RC LeTigre (no roll)

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/19#19.03.07.525089

Second Life RC Magnum

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/19#19.03.15.525315

Scheduled Thursday 2019-03-20 07:00-10:30 PST

On Region Restarts

Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators.  Nothing beats turning it off and then on again … once in a while.

As always, please plan events around these maintenance windows.  However, if you are hosting an event on Tuesday or Wednesday when we’re not deploying new code, you can restart your region ahead of time to avoid interruption. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, MBeatrix said:

Yes, that will be great. I just wish that stars wouldn't be black dots at sunset/sunrise.

Black stars are a viewer thing. Use the EEP project viewer and the stars will look like stars. Otherwise, you'll see black stars everywhere.

Uniform time... probably not. Time is controlled by the region owner. So, if you fly or sail you are likely to still have a problem. The Firestorm viewer has the option to use region settings or not. Set to NOT and you can have the same time of day and sky from regions to region. With the Linden Viewer you have to use the Debug Setting: UseEnvironmentFromRegion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Black stars are a viewer thing. Use the EEP project viewer and the stars will look like stars. Otherwise, you'll see black stars everywhere.

Uniform time... probably not. Time is controlled by the region owner. So, if you fly or sail you are likely to still have a problem. The Firestorm viewer has the option to use region settings or not. Set to NOT and you can have the same time of day and sky from regions to region. With the Linden Viewer you have to use the Debug Setting: UseEnvironmentFromRegion.

Yes, when sailing or flying I always use a fixed environment on Firestorm. And at my main parcel I have fixed windlight settings (of course only Firestorm users will see it and only if they allow it.)

5 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The Firestorm viewer has the option to use region settings or not. Set to NOT and you can have the same time of day and sky from regions to region. With the Linden Viewer you have to use the Debug Setting: UseEnvironmentFromRegion.

5 hours ago, MBeatrix said:

Yes, when sailing or flying I always use a fixed environment on Firestorm. And at my main parcel I have fixed windlight settings (of course only Firestorm users will see it and only if they allow it.)

With the EEP viewer controls (once fully available) you can have a "fixed" environment wherever you go, simply by applying an EEP sky asset to your avatar. This automatically disables the "Use Region Settings" control for the duration of your current session, wherever you go.

I'll have a full EEP tutorial available this week that covers the apply options (and the majority of EEP functions).

• Like 3

What are we replying to?  I don't understand how this works, after like 7 years.

Server Status:

Scheduled
We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on the Bluesteel and LeTigre RC server channels on Wedensday, March 20thth.

This thread:

Completed
The scheduled maintenance has been completed.
Posted about 1 hour ago. Mar 20, 2019 - 09:23 PDT

My sim, last restart: 7 days 1 hour ago.

roll or no roll or some rolls?

9 minutes ago, Israel Schnute said:

What are we replying to?  I don't understand how this works, after like 7 years.

Server Status:

Scheduled
We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on the Bluesteel and LeTigre RC server channels on Wedensday, March 20thth.

This thread:

Completed
The scheduled maintenance has been completed.
Posted about 1 hour ago. Mar 20, 2019 - 09:23 PDT

My sim, last restart: 7 days 1 hour ago.

roll or no roll or some rolls?

On 3/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, Caleb Linden said:

On Region Restarts

Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators.  Nothing beats turning it off and then on again … once in a while.

As always, please plan events around these maintenance windows.  However, if you are hosting an event on Tuesday or Wednesday when we’re not deploying new code, you can restart your region ahead of time to avoid interruption. 

I see now, it's a flow chart.  I have a tradition of running the tornado sirens if I'm home and online and the sim is going to restart. 9 times out of 10 when is the RC roll notice on Wed, I get a roll without having to find this forum.

Now I look stupid in 2 lives standing around waiting.

Edited by Israel Schnute

On 3/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, Marianne McCann said:

I hope so. My main region hasn't gotten it yet, and I'm growing weary of the skies going nuts on me. 

Seems to be working nicely. Even with a non-EEP viewer.  I just drove around Robin Loop on Heterocera, and daytime was consistent across all 13 mainland regions. Kama City on Vallone seems fine, too. I just flew over Kama City in a helicopter and got to see a nice slow sunset over several regions and 10-15 minutes.  Private regions may have their own schedule, but Linden regions and parcels are normal again.

Those of us who drive and fly are very happy to see this fixed.

Edited by animats
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, Inara Pey said:

I'll have a full EEP tutorial available this week that covers the apply options (and the majority of EEP functions).

I'm running late on this, as awaiting further bug fixes on the EEP viewer before suggesting people play with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2019 at 8:51 PM, animats said:

Seems to be working nicely. Even with a non-EEP viewer.  I just drove around Robin Loop on Heterocera, and daytime was consistent across all 13 mainland regions. Kama City on Vallone seems fine, too. I just flew over Kama City in a helicopter and got to see a nice slow sunset over several regions and 10-15 minutes.  Private regions may have their own schedule, but Linden regions and parcels are normal again.

Those of us who drive and fly are very happy to see this fixed.

Hear hear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.