script stops working in sold object

Sylvia Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried searching for this and couldn't find it, but it's a weird one to search for so hopefully I'm not doubling up here.  

I make an object (a collar), that's re-sizeable using a simple script that gives a dialogue when touched.  It says obvious things like "+10% " etc. and it all worked fine for a long time.  I've given (sold) the item to other avatars and they have no problem using the re-sizing script.  It works for me, it works for them.  

Then I decided to update the box art (of all things) and so it's technically a new product in a new box.  

So of course the Gods of SL decided to f*ck with it for no reason and now the item won't re-size for anyone I give it to.  

I've tested it to death, I've checked that the script is identical to the original, that the permissions are identical to the original permissions, and then I reset and refreshed everything anyway (because I know the permissions that show are not always the actual permissions until you do that).  I've compared the permissions to other items I sell that have scripts like HUDs and so on and everything also seems identical.  I've had the other avatars make sure they are in areas where scripts are permitted to run.  I've had them look inside the object as far as they can and they can see that there is a script inside (they can't mod it of course) and the sim confirms that it is running.  So the items all copy over to them with the right permissions, the right scripts are inside with the right permissions, but it still doesn't work anymore.  

Literally, the ONLY thing I changed was the box art, but the former item worked fine and now it only works for me and not for anyone that I give it to.  

The weird thing is that the new box itself also works fine.  The giving script inside the box that I give them works and opens the box and gives them the item, but the item inside which has never changed, no longer works.  These scripts have identical permissions and neither script has changed from the originals.  

If anyone has any ideas beyond what I've already ruled out as to what the actual F is going on here, please tell me.  

Thanks, 

Sylvia.

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

Have you tried a "rest scripts on owner change" routine approach (of cours only if reset does not break your scripts)? Maybe the scripts compile different theese days and need that additional bit of code...

Edited by Fionalein

1 hour ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

I've tested it to death, I've checked that the script is identical to the original...

Do I take it then that you have modify permission on the script? I mean, you can see inside it? I'm not suggesting you post it here (unless it's really public domain or something), I'm just trying to rule out the possibility that the script is doing some funky license-enforcement folderol that let your original version work but not subsequent releases. That would be extremely weird, but if you've checked everything plausible we have to explore the implausible.

10 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Do I take it then that you have modify permission on the script? I mean, you can see inside it? I'm not suggesting you post it here (unless it's really public domain or something), I'm just trying to rule out the possibility that the script is doing some funky license-enforcement folderol that let your original version work but not subsequent releases. That would be extremely weird, but if you've checked everything plausible we have to explore the implausible.

Yes, I can see the script, I wrote it myself.  It has never changed between the version that works and the version that doesn't.  That, and the fact that the object works for me but not for someone I give it to is what makes me think it's some kind of weird permissions problem.  

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

51 minutes ago, steph Arnott said:

How about you look at the perms of what you used rather than the disgusting cussing. A simple texture incorrectly set will cause that.

lol, "cussing"?  What is this 1954?  🙂

You didn't read what I originally wrote and then replied with two personal insults and no suggestions at all so please, just stop replying on the thread thanks.  

22 minutes ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

lol, "cussing"?  What is this 1954?  🙂

You didn't read what I originally wrote and then replied with two personal insults and no suggestions at all so please, just stop replying on the thread thanks.  

FYI most actually find it disgusting. I also gave you a probable reason but you have not checked the perms of what you changed. This started with this 'Then I decided to update the box art (of all things) and so it's technically a new product in a new box.' therefor the fault is in that part. A simple test of dropping the script into a blank box and passing it will rule out a fault in that or those scripts.

Edited by steph Arnott

Yes, I can see the script, I wrote it myself.  It has never changed between the version that works and the version that doesn't.  That, and the fact that the object works for me but not for someone I give it to is what makes me think it's some kind of weird permissions problem.  

Oh. 🐉 Probably not the script doing something inscrutable then, huh? When "weird permissions problems" come up, I always think of the slam bit, but I can't see a way that could be relevant here. For one thing, what permissions are really necessary? the recipients only need to run the script, and as long as that's possible, the script gets to modify (resize) the object.

Usually resizing scripts fail because they're trying to make something too big, too small, or too far away from something else in the linkset. Of course they could simply have a bug that suddenly crops up, putting it into an infinite loop because of some afore-undetected condition, or the like.

I realize this is not helping. Look, if I were in your situation, I'd pass the thing to my alt, both inside the pretty new box and just as a scripted object, and see what that alt can discover. If all else fails, send him a debug-scripted version to see how far the script gets before it gives up.

Maybe somebody else has a better suggestion.

... the object works for me but not for someone I give it to is what makes me think it's some kind of weird permissions problem.  

... or is it possible the script doesn't reset on rez (or attach, or changed owner) and it's stuck only interacting with or listening to you because you were the owner (or toucher) when it was last touched (or rezzed, or attached, or whatever)? And maybe this happened when you were reboxing the product somehow?

• Like 4

On 3/18/2019 at 4:14 PM, Qie Niangao said:

... When "weird permissions problems" come up, I always think of the slam bit, ...

Thanks a lot for this link Qie, I had forgotten about that toggle.  🙂

For anyone following this thread, (and as a lovely retort to steph who automatically blamed and insulted me, lol) ... it turns out that it WAS Second Life that was to blame after all.  

What happened is that thing we don't talk about but that actually happens a LOT in Second Life building wherein an object or an object inventory is updated or changed and the viewer shows the change, but the change hasn't actually happened.  

This is what I was getting at when I was "cussing" SL, and what I was talking about when I said I did a bunch of resets on everything.  It turned out that the THIRD time I did a complete reset/rebuild of the contents of the box, that the permissions (which were showing as fine the whole time) were actually fixed for reals.  

So yeah, SL is a lousy place to build and you have to check the permissions on everything three or four times, ESPECIALLY permissions on inventory inside of boxes (prims) which are notorious for being completely inaccurate sometimes.  

The best advice as Qie pointed out is probably to use Advanced Permissions which will sometimes show you a completely different situation from "regular" permissions.  

If only Advanced Permissions weren't so incredibly confusing and dense! (and if only "regular" permissions were always accurate).  Oh well, lesson learned. 

Thanks to anyone that helped,

Sylvia

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

It happens under known circumstances. A script does not suddenly stop working because you stuck it in another box unless you changed something. Which is what you stated. I also told you to verify the perms which you did not do, did you? So basically you habitually blame everyone else rather than  going through a  procedural verification that everything is correct. And no, foul language is not acceptable, especially on a forum page that is not age restricted.

Edited by steph Arnott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.