Linden Homes Preview

Psylaine Silvershade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have a question -- and I apologize if it seems like a derail, or is dumb. I've never had a Linden Home, and I think I've been inside one maybe twice.

Is there any sense that the new Linden Homes will be situated in "communities"? Towns and urban centres have things like town squares, but even modern suburban subdivisions have parks, schools, community centres, that afford some opportunity of coming together as a community, and meeting others from the same area on neutral ground.

Do current Linden Homes have anything like this? Or are they literally just street upon street of individual residences, without anything communal?

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So I have a question -- and I apologize if it seems like a derail, or is dumb. I've never had a Linden Home, and I think I've been inside one maybe twice.

Is there any sense that the new Linden Homes will be situated in "communities"? Towns and urban centres have things like town squares, but even modern suburban subdivisions have parks, schools, community centres, that afford some opportunity of coming together as a community, and meeting others from the same area on neutral ground.

Do current Linden Homes have anything like this? Or are they literally just street upon street of individual residences, without anything communal?

The current Linden homes have areas that can be used for meetings and such. I am not sure they ARE. Meadowbrook (the area where the glytches were) had a big building like that and the other areas did too if I recall (it's been almost ten years since I did the tour when they opened).  There are some community area looking places on the SSP map (and the actual home area). There are also some places that will not be finished now that "look" like they could be for something like a downtown but we have no info on that just guesses). 

If you go over to the Preview (I think tomorrow is the last day) you can find some congregation areas and they have been noted on this thread I think or the SSP thread. I took some photos and Blush did also. Primarily though it seems like they will be housing, not anything like a role play sim.  Again, no official word on any of this that "I" have heard.

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The current Linden homes have areas that can be used for meetings and such. I am not sure they ARE. Meadowbrook (the area where the glytches were) had a big building like that and the other areas did too if I recall (it's been almost ten years since I did the tour when they opened).  There are some community area looking places on the SSP map (and the actual home area). There are also some places that will not be finished now that "look" like they could be for something like a downtown but we have no info on that just guesses). 

If you go over to the Preview (I think tomorrow is the last day) you can find some congregation areas and they have been noted on this thread I think or the SSP thread. I took some photos and Blush did also. Primarily though it seems like they will be housing, not anything like a role play sim.  Again, no official word on any of this that "I" have heard.

Thanks! This somewhat confirms what I thought was likely. The possibility that there are communal areas that are not being used is, I suppose, even more suggestive than if they weren't part of the planning to begin with.

I've been thinking about where I might like to live (if I go so far as to set down my own home again). When I did have my own place, at various locales, it was always in "planned" communities (the most recent was Chilbo) that were built around a community social life (although not RP as such). And socializing was a big part of those places.

I was wondering if the Linden Homes featured this kind of lifestyle, or whether they were more along the "Tall fences make good neighbours" lines. I suspect you've probably answered that question, although maybe there are exceptions?

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've been thinking about where I might like to live (if I go so far as to set down my own home again). When I did have my own place, at various locales, it was always in "planned" communities (the most recent was Chilbo) that were built around a community social life (although not RP as such). And socializing was a big part of those places.

I was wondering if the Linden Homes featured this kind of lifestyle, or whether they were more along the "Tall fences make good neighbours" lines.

In the new Linden Homes preview place I saw three spots for common areas. So it seems that all new homes regions will have them too. And there will be plenty of common roads.

2019-04-07_LindenHomesPreview-1.thumb.jpg.75aa812b608284dd87154852754ea9e6.jpg

2019-04-07_LindenHomesPreview-2.thumb.jpg.d86b514acc0e15b6190b626f6bb283b9.jpg

2019-04-07_LindenHomesPreview-3.thumb.jpg.e5a6465044426e7dfc589f3360948961.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thanks! This somewhat confirms what I thought was likely. The possibility that there are communal areas that are not being used is, I suppose, even more suggestive than if they weren't part of the planning to begin with.

I was wondering if the Linden Homes featured this kind of lifestyle, or whether they were more along the "Tall fences make good neighbours" lines. I suspect you've probably answered that question, although maybe there are exceptions?

The idea of community is one I've been thinking about as well. I brought up the idea of having a sub-forum specifically for Linden Homes. I think along with being a good place to share our home and garden pics and useful tips for living in Linden homes, it could also be a way to build community. We see in the various posts about SSP that a sort of community of followers is already starting with our sharing our thoughts and excitement over the new homes. I am very happy to see Keira Linden has agreed that it's an interesting idea and is looking into the possibility.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I suspect it will be very dependent on who moves in :D.  Since The Lab stays out of community affairs for the most part it seems like folks themselves would need to build a community. Certainly  simple enough to start a group if that is what you are interested in. There seem to be some big buildings that "could" work as meeting places --- this only from what we can see on the maps.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

In the new Linden Homes preview place I saw three spots for common areas. So it seems that all new homes regions will have them too. And there will be plenty of common roads.

Oh! Well, the sign by the picnic benches certainly seems pretty unequivocal: there obviously will be common areas. I did take a visit to the preview a few weeks back, and missed there, I guess because I was more focused on what the houses themselves looked like.

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

I brought up the idea of having a sub-forum specifically for Linden Homes. I think along with being a good place to share our home and garden pics and useful tips for living in Linden homes, it could also be a way to build community.

This is kind of brilliant, Blush!

As we all know from our experiences here, the forums really do foster a sense of community! A subforum would go a long way, not necessarily to ensuring that in-world communal spaces get used (although, look at the Forum Hangout!), but at the least to creating a place to meet, talk, exchange ideas, and feel a sense of belonging.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I suspect it will be very dependent on who moves in :D.  Since The Lab stays out of community affairs for the most part it seems like folks themselves would need to build a community. Certainly  simple enough to start a group if that is what you are interested in. There seem to be some big buildings that "could" work as meeting places --- this only from what we can see on the maps.   

Yes indeed . . . you can build it, but they won't necessarily come. And, alternately, they'll sometimes come where you had no conception that they would. One of my first communities in SL was in a place that was built around a very nice communal area: a very large coffee shop and open square next to water. And it got used . . . but so, sometimes, did the roof of the coffee shop, something the sim owner was not terribly well pleased about.

I think you're very correct: community is organic, and it really depends on the dynamic of each individual group.

• Like 2

Some note's on Patch's talk at RFL Home Expo.

"we are going out with our first two styles" -

eventually there will be  six to eight more styles -- some 512s and some 1024s also some more nautical themed abodes.

Patch warned (encouraged?) folks to get their home quickly.  There could be a possibility that people might give up their current home and not be able to get one of the new homes.   

They are currently one week PAST the original roll out date and SOOOON was used a few times by Patch :D.

It sounded like while the HOUSES let you pick from the four styles as we know, the HOUSEBOATS are not "movable". So it "sounded to me" like they are like the current Linden homes and you may need to retry to get the houseboat you want. Those statement were confusing to me, but hopefully the website (which sounded like it was pretty much completed but perhaps not tested fully" (my interpretation) will be clear on that part of the process. 

The old homes will probably not be shut down until at least a year away -- at that time there will be a good ratio of different styles of homes for folks to pick from. 

The opening "will be announced when it happens" (in answer to a question about it being announced before :D.)  

The other parts of the hour were all about RFL and future plans.  

Something not in the Linden Home experience area  and was news (to me) --  your friends list (mine is at about 20) as well as your GROUPS make a big impact when you are going into crowded areas (this in regards to the upcoming Fantasy Faire which is typically beyond laggy :D)  Both the NUMBER of groups and the SIZE of the groups matter.  Over a couple thousand gets problematic (Patch). 

CLEAN OUT YOUR CALLING CARDS too. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Don’t know if this has been said before, the thread is to long to read at this point.  But I will not leave my Linden Home for a new one, the new ones are to cramped, tiny little rooms.  The houses look pretty but I love the open space of my Linden home, I have room to walk around and even dance to see how clothing fits.  The new homes feel very small.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Teagan Tobias said:

Don’t know if this has been said before, the thread is to long to read at this point.  But I will not leave my Linden Home for a new one, the new ones are to cramped, tiny little rooms.  The houses look pretty but I love the open space of my Linden home, I have room to walk around and even dance to see how clothing fits.  The new homes feel very small.

Well Patch reiterated today that everyone currently in a Linden Home will need to move as the sims will go away. You should have more choices of homes by then (he mentioned a year ish).   You also have a HUGE area that you can add a "rumpus room" or "pool" or even add on to the existing houses with "great rooms".  Folks have been talking about that here a lot. 

So your only choice === eventually == will be one of the new Linden Homes or buying mainland (or of course renting or giving up Premium altogether).   But plenty of time until you have to decide. 

I don’t like the idea of giving up Premium but my Linden Home is the only reason I have it.  I can’t see myself moving into a pill box.  And adding on to it is just about out of the question, I have tried to build before and it has never ended well.
But like you say I still have some time, to enjoy my Linden Home, maybe they will come out with something I can live with later on, I can always go Premium again at a later date.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

It sounded like while the HOUSES let you pick from the four styles as we know, the HOUSEBOATS are not "movable". So it "sounded to me" like they are like the current Linden homes and you may need to retry to get the houseboat you want.

In front of every houseboat there is a lifebuyo. It says that we can pick the style of the houseboat from the lifebuyo.

2019-04-07_LindenHomesPreview-5.thumb.jpg.313066b627ee1b618d3bcddddc879240.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

In front of every houseboat there is a lifebuyo. It says that we can pick the style of the houseboat from the lifebuyo.

Also handy if any guests accidentally walk off the deck. Linden Labs really thought of everything.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

English isn't my #1 language, but should i guess, I would say that "not moveable" means only that it's not possible to use it for cruising.

Yes, your guess is correct. Cannot use the houseboats for cruising.
Patch said that they are too complex to make them into vehicles.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:
47 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

English isn't my #1 language, but should i guess, I would say that "not moveable" means only that it's not possible to use it for cruising.

Yes, your guess is correct. Cannot use the houseboats for cruising.
Patch said that they are too complex to make them into vehicles.

Do they at least gently sway with the waves and tides?

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do they at least gently sway with the waves and tides?

If they are modify (like not) you could just drop a "boat rocker" script into them. BUT then the house would rock and roll, but your furniture would not. Unless you made it all physical, in which case it all would slide around like ping-pong every time you bumped into something. I'd love to see that!

In reality: houseboats do not rock, sway, dip, or any of that in RL. They are pretty well anchored (I live near Seattle - this entire area has lotsa houseboats forealzez). :)

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

If they are modify (like not) you could just drop a "boat rocker" script into them. BUT then the house would rock and roll, but your furniture would not. Unless you made it all physical, in which case it all would slide around like ping-pong every time you bumped into something. I'd love to see that!

In reality: houseboats do not rock, sway, dip, or any of that in RL. They are pretty well anchored (I live near Seattle - this entire area has lotsa houseboats forealzez). :)

Add a few “drunken sailor” anims, and you’ve got a houseboat party!

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2019 at 7:38 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

If it was me, I'd shrink that kidney pool down to wading pool size, add a small waterfall and build a rock garden from there. If it was me.

This is a 1 LI small decorative pond, looks like it can be used in many ways. I sure can't make one for that low LI number! https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DDD-Enchanted-Pond-Promo-Weekend-Pricing/17005095

Says it is a weekend offer, maybe it will cost more later.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.