Linden Homes Preview

Psylaine Silvershade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Psylaine Silvershade said:

Just been to view the new homes that Lindens have out and they definitely an improvement! Does anyone know when they are likely to become available?  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Linden%20Homes%20Preview/20/14/24

Soon 

https://modemworld.me/2019/03/15/new-linden-homes-preview/

"

• No precise launch date has been announced, but Patch indicated it is now “weeks” away for the initial deployment."
Edited by Cindy Evanier

57 minutes ago, BloodDoll Lulu said:

No modern homes though, at least that I saw last week.

It was stated from the beginning(Town Hall meetings) that there would be different styles of housing as well as different "communities" (much I expect like the current Linden homes).

They chose to show us the TRADITIONAL (that's the designation) homes and the houseboats.  Since there are some new "roofs" over at SSP this last week as well as clusters of dark roofed homes in certain sims (all similar in size and look ) it is very likely we will see more styles.   

No idea if you will like any of them, but I am looking forward to seeing what else is available.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

They chose to show us the TRADITIONAL (that's the designation) homes and the houseboats.

The Traditional and the Houseboats are two separate designations. Patch explained that they have both set up in the preview because they wanted to be able to show both in one region. They won't be together in the actual regions.

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

Do people get to own the homes, as in mod them and take them into inventory?

They have modification options on a menu, much like the ONSU homes are now. Vertices and textures are optimized as well, for much less lag. 

2 hours ago, BloodDoll Lulu said:

No modern homes though, at least that I saw last week.

Patch said that there will be more styles to come, though! They just need to launch these ones first. There ARE modern houseboat styles though. 

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

It was stated from the beginning(Town Hall meetings) that there would be different styles of housing as well as different "communities" (much I expect like the current Linden homes).

They are very much set up like these role play communities that are so popular, with a road stretching between houses and a small yard (rather than the homes taking up the entire parcel) and fences.

I’m excited to see them when released - seriously considering going back to premium once more when that happens. I like this updated direction that SL is going in.

Edited by norajulian
Adding stuff and things
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The Traditional and the Houseboats are two separate designations. Patch explained that they have both set up in the preview because they wanted to be able to show both in one region. They won't be together in the actual regions.

Yes, absolutely understood that they are both not the  TRADITIONAL category -- so traditional HOMES  --- and the Housboats .

MANY of the boat docks are in their own sims, but unless they do a lot of rearranging from the SSP staging area, there ARE some that share a sim together -- many actually if you look at the map.   I don't see any problem with that. 

image.thumb.png.1c9e1b3b7bd0c9b3d0bbdecee90894be.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yes, absolutely understood that they are both not the  TRADITIONAL category -- so traditional HOMES  --- and the Housboats .

MANY of the boat docks are in their own sims, but unless they do a lot of rearranging from the SSP staging area, there ARE some that share a sim together -- many actually if you look at the map.   I don't see any problem with that. 

Yeah, there's some overlapping in some of the regions. I was mainly pointing out that the Traditional and the Houseboats are two separate designations. When the homes open and you can get one from the website you'll have to pick either Traditional or Houseboat. I just wanted to be sure that was clear to those reading it. The houseboats don't look traditional and have a much more modern appearance, at least to me they do.

I doubt they have any other styles ready and rezzed in SSP at this time. I know there are some differences with roof colors but I think that's just color choices. I think if the other styles were ready they'd have them at the preview. So I'm guessing the Traditional and Houseboats are going to be it for awhile. Who knows how long.

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

Yeah, there's some overlapping in some of the regions. I was mainly pointing out that the Traditional and the Houseboats are two separate designations. When the homes open and you can get one from the website you'll have to pick either Traditional or Houseboat. I just wanted to be sure that was clear to those reading it. The houseboats don't look traditional and have a much more modern appearance, at least to me they do.

I doubt they have any other styles ready and rezzed in SSP at this time. I know there are some differences with roof colors but I think that's just color choices. I think if the other styles were ready they'd have them at the preview. So I'm guessing the Traditional and Houseboats are going to be it for awhile. Who knows how long.

Well we'll see :D

• Like 1

Can someone clarify for me, English isn't my #1 Language and I am not feeling well, so I can't figure it out on my own:

Providing infrastructure to the new regions – roads, parks, coastline, beaches, rivers, etc., will hopefully help build more of a community feel to the new Linden Homes than the approach taken with the first series, and in this, providing houses that sit within their parcels and with privacy boundaries (walls / hedgerows) to me both increases the sense of ownership and also the look and feel of these developments being a residential development. True, the privacy is only visual (you’ll need parcel privacy) and the shape of the houseboat parcels tended to make these feel a little crowded, but on the whole, the layout appears to work.

https://modemworld.me/2019/03/15/new-linden-homes-preview/

Does this mean that the walls/hedgerows and other landscaping decor as shown in the preview, does not count against the 351 LI? Or is the landscaping just there to pretty up the preview?

I really adore the community style. It is the same as you must pay a lot for, renting from land barons.

And it is first in, get to pick first, of course. So the homes close to water will be taken first. That is what I would choose for the view. Would it not be smarter to make more wide waterways, so the inland homes will be picked up too? I am not sure if I will take one of those, but wait until a house with a view is free.

34 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

And it is first in, get to pick first, of course. So the homes close to water will be taken first. That is what I would choose for the view. Would it not be smarter to make more wide waterways, so the inland homes will be picked up too? I am not sure if I will take one of those, but wait until a house with a view is free.

I would be surprised if you can pick more than the style... previous linden Homes just assigned you a random lot...

PS: If you want to pick a location there always is Horizons - given it's completely sold I would not be surprised if they added more themed buy areas like it in the future. 

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Does this mean that the walls/hedgerows and other landscaping decor as shown in the preview, does not count against the 351 LI? Or is the landscaping just there to pretty up the preview?

the post says: Note that house styles are presented with boundary walls / hedgerows / both for privacy

so i take that as a yes it's included :)

31 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

And it is first in, get to pick first, of course.

i seriously doubt this.. i guess it will be more like the current system. You pick the theme, but you get a house assigned. ( as Fiona already mentioned ) ... and if after a few times still not have the one location you want... sorry wait til tomorrow ( if it would be on me i'd disable this system for the first weeks, pick your home and deal with it for a while, give others also a chance to get a nice home location)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I would be surprised if you can pick more than the style... previouls linden Homes just assigned you a random lot...

Aaah. I never had one, I thought the 2010 houses was ugly. So I teleport in, don't like the placement, abandon the house and try again?

3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Aaah. I never had one, I thought the 2010 houses was ugly. So I teleport in, don't like the placement, abandon the house and try again?

I fear so - Some will be more lucky than others, 😞

I spotted some better boating slips (just look at how you get your sailingboat out of the inside oriented ones) and you spotted some better homes (there is one on a peninsula/land tongue surrounded by road one side and water 3 sides - damn this will be the house lottery jackpot) 

Edited by Fionalein

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

really adore the community style. It is the same as you must pay a lot for, renting from land baron

Yes it is. Just another way LL will directly compete with resident business people eg landlords and home builders. Some will throw in the towel. I suppose on balance it will be a plus for SL, but it will be yet another LL nail driven in the coffin of resident creators/ landlords since mesh was introduced, and with it the support and education they have provided. Another step away from what has made SL uniqoely user created and towards The Sims.

• Like 1

The houses have pretty high land impact for such basic designs. The thing to me that is unacceptable is the number of scripts and the script timing each house is consuming. Script counts range between 21 - 45 and timing between 0.046ms - 0.092ms, this in a region that still has 14ms available timing and 99% script run rate.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

yes but there is a limit of 5 times in a 24h span.

38 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Yes it is. Just another way LL will directly compete with resident business people eg landlords and home builders. Some will throw in the towel. I suppose on balance it will be a plus for SL, but it will be yet another LL nail driven in the coffin of resident creators/ landlords since mesh was introduced, and with it the support and education they have provided. Another step away from what has made SL uniqoely user created and towards The Sims.

Because the regions will span the gap between two continents, I do think they'll put pressure on Blake Sea estate landlords to up their games; some have been coasting on an economics of scarcity (especially those who still haven't passed on tier and LI improvements to their tenants).

I'm not sure these represent a very large step towards The Sims; I kinda think those who want The Sims will already be living their Second Life that way. Personally, I can't imagine ever only having a Linden Home with nowhere to do my own thing. And yet I do like these enough I just may add one to my other holdings -- something I never even considered with the earlier crop. If these had sucked as bad as the old ones, yeah, I'd spend that tier differently, on regular Mainland. On the other hand, it's unlikely I'd put a prefab on that land anyway, so I'm not really the target market. Maybe something akin to The Sims is more appealing to the typical prefab buyer.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Because the regions will span the gap between two continents, I do think they'll put pressure on Blake Sea estate landlords to up their games; some have been coasting on an economics of scarcity (especially those who still haven't passed on tier and LI improvements to their tenants).

Not really, if it is indeed the speculated Jeugeut Sansara connection there will not be much desire to be there for the sailing community. The Jeugeut Gulf area is famous for it's naval combat so the virtual sailors might right be out here. The new Linden Homes also have no laws on breedables and with 351 LI allowance they have enough for some to start. I expect those regions to plummet into lag quickly, so forget sailing there. There are however airfields both on Jeugeut and on Sansara/Heterocea... slow flight seems less prone to lag problems.

We can expect the ANWR channel to go busy with long distance flight enthusiasts soon.

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.