Why do people support sellers that do no mod?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Women do exactly this every time they go shopping in RL. SL bloggers do it. I'll even give you an example that I put together when I was still modeling in SL. The description at the bottom, is called a style card.

https://phedrelefevre.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/alice-in-wonderland-revisited/

Please read the whole of my post.. 

13 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You want to match outfits from various creators, not gonna happen, just like in RL. A skirt from A wont match the shoes from B or the top from C. 

Skirt, top, shoes.. Three different stores.. Match them in ... teal. 

Black shoes and hat, red dress... Not a match that i was speaking of. Match them all in the same shade of red from 3 different stores. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I certainly couldn't "do it better," and am not going to try. But I do know that there are makers who are missing out on making sales to me because they aren't interested in my preferences. That's their choice, of course. But there might be a few who listen to me, and decide that they'd like to try something a bit different in the hope of parting me from some of my precious Lindens.

If you really want to impact a merchant, don't come to the forums complaining. Go to the merchant directly. Explain your situation and see what happens. These kinds of forum posts do not help your cause with merchants.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

If you really want to impact a merchant, don't come to the forums complaining. Go to the merchant directly. Explain your situation and see what happens. These kinds of forum posts do not help your cause with merchants.

You're probably right: I should do that!

But the forums here are about discussing subjects such as this, are they not? I don't see how this is an illegitimate use of the forum.

• Thanks 1

Yet it's up to us to make it right for the customer so they will come back again and again and again and spend more money so we can continue making the customer happy and making money.

Indeed. And when you've seen a young woman - working Saturdays behind a checkout to pay her way through higher education - reduced to tears because some up-themselves customer starts in with the abuse and insults because they can't use an out-of-date coupon, or because the till simply is not programmed to put credit back onto an old gift card, it can be very very hard to bite one's tongue, smile politely, and wish them a pleasant day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

discussing subjects

This hasn't seemed like a discussion to me. It's more accusations thrown at merchants, not by all, but that's how the whole thread began with the "shady" comment. The tone was set from the beginning, which was unfortunate. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Please read the whole of my post.. 

Skirt, top, shoes.. Three different stores.. Match them in ... teal. 

Black shoes and hat, red dress... Not a match that i was speaking of. Match them all in the same shade of red from 3 different stores. 

Like I said, I do that every time I go shopping, RL or SL. I'm sorry my example, which was the only one I happen to have handy, didn't live up to your expectations. There are tons of SL blogs out there where you can find others doing the same thing.

It helps to be knowledgeable about women's fashions, fabrics, dyes, dye lots and a myriad of other things that go into creating a wardrobe.

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That wasn't my understanding of what he said: I thought he explicitly stated that those who were using no mod only to sell more items were "shady," rather than that no mod was always about selling more items, and hence always shady. I could find the full quote, I suppose, but I can't be bothered. As it happens, I disagree: I don't myself believe it is "shady." It is, in fact, how the system works. I think the system sometimes sucks, but that doesn't mean that those who are using it therefore suck as well.

Here ya go.. We are shady for wanting to sell colors.. OOOPs we dont sell the EXACT hex code you want so we are shady. Try asking.. 

On 3/15/2019 at 10:08 PM, WingalingDragon said:

The only other reason I can see is so that the seller can disable the tint function and charge us for wanting to use it.  That's a very shady way to make money considering the function is a core aspect of SL, and the odds of someone including the exact tint someone wants for their color scheme is quite low.    

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You are also entitled -- indeed, encouraged! -- to explain to me why I'm wrong. But you're not doing that: you've simply decided to take a different route, which is of course your right.

I did. I dont want my name attached to textures i didn't create. My name is on every item i make as the creator if you inspect it or edit it. Therefore i want my textures on it. 

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not a fan of the old expression, "The customer is always right," eh?

Never worked retail, have you? Customers are rarely "right." Just because a customer wants something, doesn't mean it is "right" for me to do so. 

7 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

oh my, come on folks - you ahve the right to be triggred by whatever you hate - no oneis challenging that - but wildly lashing around you in anger cuases another reaction...

@Scylla Rhiadra SL is not RL - if you look elsewhere one the Forums I will have somewhere made the claim that most of SL merchants would not be fit to run a RL business ;) just keep that in mind when preaching to them...

Hey cool, thanks for the insult. I happen to run my own business RL, but of course you must be correct. I love how when a merchants rights are attacked its the merchant that is triggered and wildly lashing out. 

Also where, aside from the OP, did you see talk of hate? I mean, i know you hate no mod clothes but where were the merchants talking of hate?

• Like 1

Like I said, I do that every time I go shopping, RL or SL. I'm sorry my example, which was the only one I happen to have handy, didn't live up to your expectations. There are tons of SL blogs out there where you can find others doing the same thing.

It helps to be knowledgeable about women's fashions, fabrics, dyes, dye lots and a myriad of other things that go into creating a wardrobe.

And there are tons of bloggers displaying no-mod clothing who manage to do a great job. You just prove that it's completely possible to match up and get great looking outfits without using mod clothing and accessories.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Indeed. And when you've seen a young woman - working Saturdays behind a checkout to pay her way through higher education - reduced to tears because some up-themselves customer starts in with the abuse and insults because they can't use an out-of-date coupon, or because the till simply is not programmed to put credit back onto an old gift card, it can be very very hard to bite one's tongue, smile politely, and wish them a pleasant day.

I've been in her shoes more times than I care to remember. I've been on both sides of that counter since I was 14 off and on. I avoid working retail whenever I can.

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

And there are tons of bloggers displaying no-mod clothing who manage to do a great job. You just prove that it's completely possible to match up and get great looking outfits without using mod clothing and accessories.

I was neither trying to prove nor disprove that as it had nothing to do with my point. I was pointing out that it can be done both in RL and SL to someone who does not believe it can be.

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Dont get all snooty.. Lets be real, matching black and red isn't all that impressive.

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Are you implying that i dont? 

The whole point of the tread was wanting to be able to tint things to match other colors, not colors that go well with each other, MATCH them.  Several of my family members are in the clothing industry, my daughters have designed many outfits and have won fashion design contests at their schools. I do rely on them some, but i do know fashion as well. 

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I was neither trying to prove nor disprove that as it had nothing to do with my point. I was pointing out that it can be done both in RL and SL to someone who does not believe it can be.

You really dont read what people type do you? Matching, as in actual color matching from multiple stores in SL is nearly impossible unless its a primary color. The shade spectrum is immense. What one merchant calls teal won't be the same hex code as another merchants teal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

. Lets be real, matching black and red isn't all that impressive.

I wasn't matching black and red. I was matching the reds with the black being nothing more than accent.

2 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Are you implying that i dont? 

You're taking a general statement to be a personal attack.

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You really dont read what people type do you? Matching, as in actual color matching from multiple stores in SL is nearly impossible unless its a primary color. The shade spectrum is immense. What one merchant calls teal won't be the same hex code as another merchants teal.

Oh ffs. Here we go with the "insult the other's intelligence" bit again. Sorry. Not playing that mind game.

19 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Yet it's up to us to make it right for the customer so they will come back again and again and again and spend more money so we can continue making the customer happy and making money.

Wrong, its not up to me to cater to every whim of a potential customer. If you come in as a new customer and start off with, "why are you selling no mod? I want to be able to tint your clothing or even retexture it." You will get a very polite "there's the door" from me. 

A man in a neighboring town had his whole beautiful brick house, includimg roof, painted pink. Because favorite color. Someday he or his heirs will want to sell it and will probably find it hard to find a buyer. Neighbors are appalled, of course. But he doesn’t care. It’s his house. He wants it pink. 

Here are the facts: the large majority of people do not mod anything, ever, and so pay no attention to whether things are mod or not. Those who mod things presumably pay attention to perms and buy only mod things, so it’s not really a problem. 

People who make no mod things do well enough selling to their chosen clientele. They don’t need to sell to everyone. They don’t want to sell to everyone. If they did they would. 

A secret: people who prefer mod things buy no mod if they really like 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

A man in a neighboring town had his whole beautiful brick house, includimg roof, painted pink. Because favorite color. Someday he or his heirs will want to sell it and will probably find it hard to find a buyer. Neighbors are appalled, of course. But he doesn’t care. It’s his house. He wants it pink. 

And the homebuilder didn't make it no-mod so he's in luck.

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

Here are the facts: the large majority of people do not mod anything, ever, and so pay no attention to whether things are mod or not. Those who mod things presumably pay attention to perms and buy only mod things, so it’s not really a problem. 

People who make no mod things do well enough selling to their chosen clientele. They don’t need to sell to everyone. They don’t want to sell to everyone. If they did they would. 

A secret: people who prefer mod things buy no mod if they really like 

/me raises her hand. I don't care about mod rights for clothing because I've royally f!@#^ed up some stuff that was mod.  I'm better off just finding what I want already made and no possibility of me messing it up. I've also managed to tint some modifiable things other than clothes without coming to grief.  But I don't expect to be catered to. 

• Like 2

I wish RL clothing manufacturers would make their clothing mod so I can tailor them to fit since I can't afford tailored to fit clothes. It's a pain in the butt to have to shorten the pant legs on every pair of pants/jeans I buy or add darts in the waist of skirts because they size their clothing differently. Or having to pay extra for a larger sized blouse because I have broader than average shoulders for a woman and the blouse with the outfit is too tight through the shoulders and the sleeves are too short.

Oh.

xD

44 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

This has long gone past a productive discussion. This is truly the best answer you can give.

People aren’t going to stop supporting no mod items because they don’t care about them being no mod in the first place. Every other virtue of mod items becomes moot after that.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Flapping lips of a troll

Since you seem to be here for no other reason than to pick fights, I'm out. I owe you nothing, and I do not care what you think. I and others have already explained why we made the decision we did. You acting like a troll, throwing insults, picking fights, and demanding entitlement doesn't change the fact that I owe you nothing and do not care what you think.

I long for a day when garbage like you no longer occupies SL so that I can go back to enjoying myself in piece, without people fabricating reasons to pick a fight with me when they have no actual interactions with me.

Good bye. I've already reported your post. If you keep picking fights, I will continue to report them. Go back to your bridge.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.