Why do people support sellers that do no mod?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, WingalingDragon said:

Many implies a large number, not a large percentage.  There are plenty of full perm things for sale, but they are also uncommon.  Same goes for those who include textures.  It doesn't need to be the majority to still be a decent sized number :)

Yes you said Many so I was wondering where this many are, I did not expect you to say full perms at all as that contradicts the whole base of questioning, of course full perms creators include textures, that is a given, but we were talking about people that create and sell items no mod, they are not those, so I am still wondering where this many creators with regular perms creating their own content are providing textures with the items, I already covered Furries and creators that promote the concept of Mods as in selling on your own adaptation of the work so that others may enjoy it. 

I was just curious because as I said if there were many, I want to know more of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

This seems to be still a thing - if it happens to mod items I can fix it. No mod items must be replaced if this bug happens.

In situations like this the creator of the product should send you a corrected product. It's also why I believe no one who is not active in SL should be selling products on the Marketplace.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

In situations like this the creator of the product should send you a corrected product. It's also why I believe no one who is not active in SL should be selling products on the Marketplace.

Are you so afraid of competitors that left the platform long before you, or do you just want to improve the prices of some no copy/trans stuff by drying up the source? Sorry if I don't buy your motives...

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Are you so afraid of competitors that left the platform long before you, or do you just want to improve the prices of some no copy/trans stuff by drying up the source? Sorry if I don't buy your motives...

I don't care if you buy my motives, seriously! I just don't believe anyone should be selling items they are not offering customer support for .. plain and simple. I don't buy discontinued merchandise online from places like ebay either. It's my personal preference. Believe what you like.

• Like 6

Just now, Fionalein said:

Then stop forcing it onto others,...

You seriously over estimate my power to force anything on anyone. I certainly have a right to voice my opinion. But you know I've come to expect this kind of reaction from you. Water off a ducks back! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I agree with this to a degree, if someone is not doing anything in SL but cashing out via the website on items they listed in the past but not providing any support for then it should be evident at least.  I have seen some listings say "no longer providing support for this item" then it is up to the buyer...there is so much confusion still now on system layers, sculpts etc people buying system clothing and screaming that there are no appliers because they have never known a world without. People are so used to updates, redeliveries and so on, if something scripted that is tech loaded is purchased and does not work how they believed it to, you will see people asking when the next update is, but there won't be one the creator is long gone, that would have been something to know prior. I love that I can still buy Paper Couture ( I know the girls are still around ) I love that I just bought a ton of Sea Hole items in preparation for BOM lol and she has been gone for years. 

Whimsy and I used to always get grumpy that people leaving didn't list on Marketplace before going, we would at least have that, but yeah a little indicator of last online would be a cool tie in to MP and In world. I wish profiles did that so you don't have to stalk a group to find out if someone is missing :P

On 3/21/2019 at 1:38 PM, WingalingDragon said:

First off, twisting people's desire to create their own unique look or make things specific to how they want for their own personal use into "desire to ruin your work" is a bit overkill, don't you think?(On top of being a little insulting to the end user's creative skills, people can mod things well too, you know :P)  Secondly, if this was true, wouldn't every merchant who sells modify items be out of business by now?  This is not as much of a problem as people think, or as people lead others to think, or nearly everyone would have settled into selling no-mod after all this time.

No, protecting my work is not overkill. You demanding that everyone in SL change how they do business because you want to be pretty is overkill.

Here's the thing. If you want to buy a full perm kit that you can texture yourself to show of your artwork, for right ahead and do that. That's exactly what I do (though more modeling work goes into it), yet I still by designs from other sellers quite often. But understand this, and understand it well. I'm not in the business of reselling full perm mesh. Even if that's ok in the ToS of the mesh I buy and use, that's not what I want to sell. I am selling you my design, not reselling full perm mesh so you can make your designs. There are plenty of options for you if that's what you want.

I fail to see why protecting my intellectual property makes me the bad guy.

• Like 5

Just begining to wonder who called all the "No mod" designer folks to justify themselves... his thread was not about you - if you feel the need to justify your actions you should better wonder why that is so...

This thread originally was asking why folks still buy your products, not why you made them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Just begining to wonder who called all the "No mod" designer folks to justify themselves... his thread was not about you - if you feel the need to justify your actions you should better wonder why that is so...

This thread originally was asking why folks still buy your products, not why you made them...

Oh but he did! In fact, he asked for us to give reasons why. Perhaps you missed it.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:06 PM, WingalingDragon said:

If it's really such a bad thing, shouldn't it be easy to give reasons *why*?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fionalein said:

If they have left SL, then their MP should be closed. Not because I am afraid of a long dead store, but because they artificially bloat the MP with useless items. Items that should not be allowed to be sold if the merchant has left SL. If they aren't active then their store should be closed. Why should they be allowed to benefit and not put forth any support, new material or even log in? I spend more than i make in a month, without complaint. Because i enjoy SL. If you cant be bothered to even log in, why should they allow you a store? 6,341,242 items in the MP.. Doing an oldest first sorting and looking at each merchant, so far on page 6 (96 items per page) I have yet to come across a merchant that has logged in in the past year.

But hey, if you are ok with hundreds of thousands of dead items popping up in a search, more power to you. Personally, i would rather support merchants that actually give a damn about the future of SL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Aren't designers customers too?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

If they have left SL, then their MP should be closed. Not because I am afraid of a long dead store, but because they artificially bloat the MP with useless items. Items that should not be allowed to be sold if the merchant has left SL. If they aren't active then their store should be closed. Why should they be allowed to benefit and not put forth any support, new material or even log in? I spend more than i make in a month, without complaint. Because i enjoy SL. If you cant be bothered to even log in, why should they allow you a store? 6,341,242 items in the MP.. Doing an oldest first sorting and looking at each merchant, so far on page 6 (96 items per page) I have yet to come across a merchant that has logged in in the past year.

But hey, if you are ok with hundreds of thousands of dead items popping up in a search, more power to you. Personally, i would rather support merchants that actually give a damn about the future of SL.

OK, you can convince me if no one is allowed to sell anything they cannot support anymore - if that is what gets us rid of the stupid gachas I'll accept it .

But where does it even say you are entitled to get support? You aren't - buyers beware!

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

OK, you can convince me if no one is allowed to sell anything they cannot support anymore - if that is what gets us rid of the stupid gachas I'll accept it .

Where did you get that from? I said there are hundreds if not thousands of stores on the MP that have NO active SL users attached. Gatchas are nothing more than reselling transfer items. So, you want to remove the Transfer ability but force the Modify one? Talk about hypocritical. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

While I support this statement, I also want to point out that some have left not because they wanted to but because they have departed both lives.  And as sad as that is, they are not here to offer support for their products. It's true that some of those products very well may not need support, but many of them do.

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Oh but he did! In fact, he asked for us to give reasons why. Perhaps you missed it.

That's not how I read the question.

If it's really such a bad thing, shouldn't it be easy to give reasons *why*?

The question is asking about the difficulty of stating reasons for making a product no mod. Information that could be included in a notecard or on the ad that is usually the texture used on a box of any nature, including 1 prim vendors. I don't see where it is asking for creators to post their reasons why in the thread.

On 3/21/2019 at 6:53 AM, Blush Bravin said:

I'm going to take this further in what may be an unpopular stance and say, if you have an MP store you should at least have a minimal store in world.  I've seen people cry about the expense of doing that, but I've also seen store rentals you can have for less then 100L per week.  I've even seen as little as 50L.  I absolutely will not buy from anyone who does not have a small setup in world.  As for changing the LMs if they change stores, any seller can put in BOLD in the description on their MP,  "Please see my in-world profile picks for current in-world store location(s)".  Then they wouldn't have to redo LMs for each item on the MP if they change stores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The question is asking about the difficulty of stating reasons for making a product no mod. Information that could be included in a notecard or on the ad that is usually the texture used on a box of any nature, including 1 prim vendors. I don't see where it is asking for creators to post their reasons why in the thread.

Maybe go back and reread all of his comments so you are taking them in context. His whole approach from the beginning is like a call to arms. Telling shoppers why are you still buying from creators who make no-mod products. And then goes further to insult creators as being shady because they have the nerve to want to make money for selling the products in different colors. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

A lovely case/example of something I harp on often enough here: Users placing their own, internal meaning onto the text they've read.

Taken at face value, Blush is quite correct in her interpretation. To arrive anywhere else requires a different phrasing or a statement of clarification from the user she was responding to.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

While I support this statement, I also want to point out that some have left not because they wanted to but because they have departed both lives.  And as sad as that is, they are not here to offer support for their products. It's true that some of those products very well may not need support, but many of them do.

Having lost several friends over the years both in RL and SL, I do understand that. However, LL should close down stores of merchants that are no longer active in SL. Those $L sit in an account that is doing nothing. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Having lost several friends over the years both in RL and SL, I do understand that. However, LL should close down stores of merchants that are no longer active in SL. Those $L sit in an account that is doing nothing. 

Best thing for SL to ever happen - money is effectively drawn out of the system and folks need to buy new Lindens, .... keeps servers afloat - where do you see a problem with that?

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I know of two instances where the children of the creators who have passed are receiving the funds from those accounts. I honestly love that the creators work continues and that family members are benefiting from the passed love one. It's like an inheritance. The only problem I have with it is that the family members most likely are not able to offer customer support.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Best thing for SL to ever happen. money is effectively drawn out of the system and folks need to buy new Lindens, .... keeps servers afloat - where do you see a problem with that?

You cant buy those $L if the non active merchant isn't selling them.. Do you not know how the SL economy works? 

Had to reread that a few times... There is no such thing as new lindens. The $L we buy all come from people selling $L. Land sales and teir are what keep servers afloat. 

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.