Why do people support sellers that do no mod?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Funny, I actually find myself adding shadows to some furniture that do not have them. I also use shadows in my viewer. Guess I'm a shadow lover!

Don't get me wrong. I do like the shadows. The problem is they add more LI to the item that creates an additional limit that squelches my creativity. In my book, that's not a good thing to do. Squelching another's creativity. And it's not even being done in the name of "moving up the corporate ladder". It's not a good thing when one artist squelches another artist's creativity.

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

That's beside the issue. Your issue is with a particular item that is either advertised incorrectly or the perms were set wrong and you should have recourse with the seller. That's not what we're talking about in this thread. I hope you have contacted the merchant and get satisfaction.

No it is not beside the issue. It's a part of it. That old permissions bug is still around. LL has improved it but they have not completely eliminated it.

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

I like to add tail animations to my sits... mod stuff lets me do that with avsitter plugins - I recently decided I'm to lazy to click a fitting sit anim from my tail AO every time.

This is interesting. I'm a great fan of sloth, so I'm wondering if there might be an even lazier (and potentially more general) way to achieve the desired effect. If that AO were a little smarter, it might recognize:

• the object on which you're sitting (OBJECT_ROOT of a seated avatar is the root prim of the object on which they're sitting), or
  • the animations that object is playing on you (the elements of llGetAnimationList that were added when the avatar sat down)

and, based on one or both of those, trigger your chosen sit anim whenever in the corresponding situation. (If it's an old-school AO, it's already checking for transitions to/from sitting; otherwise a slow timer might need to be added if it's a new-fangled AO that uses llSetAnimationOverride. )

I wonder if this is already a standard script somewhere.

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Don't get me wrong. I do like the shadows. The problem is they add more LI to the item that creates an additional limit that squelches my creativity. In my book, that's not a good thing to do. Squelching another's creativity. And it's not even being done in the name of "moving up the corporate ladder". It's not a good thing when one artist squelches another artist's creativity.

I get it.. I really do. I don't buy no mod furnishings or houses except in very rare situations. I quite often reduce the size of something and thereby reduce LI in the process because I have a more normal size avatar that doesn't need to have large houses or furniture. But when I find something I like and that item isn't mod I don't complain to the merchant that they are loosing my business because their item is no mod. I figure the creator has the right to decide how they want to sell their creations. I respect that and move on. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

No it is not beside the issue. It's a part of it. That old permissions bug is still around. LL has improved it but they have not completely eliminated it.

If it's a bug then you have recourse with the creator. The creator didn't mean for it to be no mod. I too have bought something that was supposed to be mod. The perms in the edit menu even showed it to be mod, but due to a glitch it wasn't. I contacted the creator and the creator sent me a new one. 

That is not the same as a creator selling an item as no mod and then the customer thinking they should be able to get the item with mod perms.

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

But when I find something I like and that item isn't mod I don't complain to the merchant that they are loosing my business because their item is no mod.

I don't complain to the merchant either unless you consider my participating in a discussion about it on a forum as complaining (I don't think you do), I just don't buy it. I look for something comparable before buying no mod. More often than not I find something better that is mod and cheaper.

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

If it's a bug then you have recourse with the creator. The creator didn't mean for it to be no mod. I too have bought something that was supposed to be mod. The perms in the edit menu even showed it to be mod, but due to a glitch it wasn't. I contacted the creator and the creator sent me a new one. 

That is not the same as a creator selling an item as no mod and then the customer thinking they should be able to get the item with mod perms.

I do the same, usually.

Yes, I know. Yet customers ask creators for mod versions of no mod all the time and quite often get the mod.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

This is interesting. I'm a great fan of sloth, so I'm wondering if there might be an even lazier (and potentially more general) way to achieve the desired effect. If that AO were a little smarter, it might recognize:

• the object on which you're sitting (OBJECT_ROOT of a seated avatar is the root prim of the object on which they're sitting), or
  • the animations that object is playing on you (the elements of llGetAnimationList that were added when the avatar sat down)

and, based on one or both of those, trigger your chosen sit anim whenever in the corresponding situation. (If it's an old-school AO, it's already checking for transitions to/from sitting; otherwise a slow timer might need to be added if it's a new-fangled AO that uses llSetAnimationOverride. )

I wonder if this is already a standard script somewhere.

different seats require different animations... even the same seat might require a different tail anim depending on what sit animation is played...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

Depends on the product, Clothes i am fine with them being no mod. some times it can be a pain not being able to resize an item or remove the bloody resize scripts thankfully most modern resize scripts have a option to remove them.

Furniture No wont buy it no mod. While yes i get it you want to protect your animations. but 99% of the time its a animation that has been in SL forever and just looks bad or makes you looks like a hoochie. let me change the sits in a chair or i will move on.

Vheicles OK I will let no mad pass if its a combat thing and you are locking it to preserve some semblance of game balance. cheaters gotta cheat after all. but if its just a Small two seat airplane, A sailboat or the Family Ford there is not a single good reason on earth. why they cant be mod so people can retexture it. and to be honest there are plenty of builders who make great stuff in this category that is mod i will buy form them instead thank you.

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

different seats require different animations... even the same seat might require a different tail anim depenidng on what sit animation is played...

Cool... so the script could use both the object sat-upon and the anim playing. By putting this all in the AO instead of the furniture, it could work when the sitter is on somebody else's furniture altogether (not just no-mod furniture they own themselves)... and might make a reasonable guess what to do if it happens to encounter an animation it has seen before.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.