What would be worse? pt 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I vote for the tp cost, though the outcome would be the return of Malls so one cost 50 stores not like an event but good old fashioned malls.  

I would end up Sasy5 SLUser  and while it would be confused with Sasys all the time, and I would really miss my name but I would remain Alliterative \o/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

I vote for the tp cost, though the outcome would be the return of Malls so one cost 50 stores not like an event but good old fashioned malls.  

Why malls, though? Why wouldn't it be events, moved to the Mainland along Linden roads, rails, and waterways?

Anyway, it would actually be interesting to see how SL changed with a teleportation charge so I'd vote for that, too. In contrast, we know any change involving names would only lead to endless whining and complaining.

26 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

My weekly stipend is raised to L$ 10,000,000.

You mean yours isn't already?  :P  

A bit of silly is a nice respite from the drama "I got banned. everyone tell me the landowner is bad"  or "I need some sap to pay for my SL" posts

• Haha 1

It was way before my time but there used to actually be a fee to teleport and i believe the fee rate depended on the distance and one enterprising resident set up their own transport system that was considerably cheaper than LL teleport fees, not sure i'd want to go with a generic last name no matter how unique my first name is

11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Why malls, though? Why wouldn't it be events, moved to the Mainland along Linden roads, rails, and waterways?

Anyway, it would actually be interesting to see how SL changed with a teleportation charge so I'd vote for that, too. In contrast, we know any change involving names would only lead to endless whining and complaining.

A mall would mean a smaller version of their main, not like an event where only new for the duration, themed or cheaper may be the rule. Or more like the old Quad days, sims shared by more designers, one tp fee giving you more range. You mention mainland, that makes me wonder, would there be sim crossing fees also? It could also mean more sims join together. I know its a fantasy question, but a fun concept on what would be the options S L residsnts would adapt to, Whirly already rigged the system with log in where you want to be lol.

7 hours ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

A mall would mean a smaller version of their main, not like an event where only new for the duration, themed or cheaper may be the rule. Or more like the old Quad days, sims shared by more designers, one tp fee giving you more range. You mention mainland, that makes me wonder, would there be sim crossing fees also? It could also mean more sims join together. I know its a fantasy question, but a fun concept on what would be the options S L residsnts would adapt to, Whirly already rigged the system with log in where you want to be lol.

Oh, if there are sim-crossing fees in addition to teleportation fees then it wouldn't be that interesting -- and it would absolutely kill the sailing, train, and driving folks, so I wasn't even thinking about that.

I was also ignoring Whirly's Workaround, to replace teleporting with relogging, but now that I think about it, that would have a very different interesting outcome: TPVs would be motivated to let us logout without exiting the viewer. That's 100% a viewer-side thing that we users have accepted just cuz it's always been that way. It would take a bunch of work to change, and there'd still be reason to restart the viewer sometimes, but it would be totally do-able to let us re-login immediately instead of having to reload the viewer.

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

but it would be totally do-able to let us re-login immediately instead of having to reload the viewer.

You would never be able to re-login immediately. You'd have to wait for the region to disconnect your avatar first. 
Also relogging in this way could never reseat you on a vehicle, so as a work around for a region crossing fee, it would be useless for those on vehicles.

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

You would never be able to re-login immediately. You'd have to wait for the region to disconnect your avatar first. 
Also relogging in this way could never reseat you on a vehicle, so as a work around for a region crossing fee, it would be useless for those on vehicles.

Okay, maybe not immediately, but without needing to re-launch the viewer -- which admittedly was a bigger deal back when we didn't all have SSDs.

I wasn't thinking about the region crossing fee for vehicles, but now that you mention it: as long as you were on Object Entry-permitted land with a reasonable auto-return time (such as a Linden transportation corridor), a hack comes to mind: As with all good things it awaits grid scope Experiences, but the vehicle could be pushed across the border and lay in wait to llSitOnLink() its driver when s/he relogs into the new sim with the vehicle. Granted, it would be a hideous kludge, but it's not as if sim crossings are all that elegant now.

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Based on the threads that we've seen around here, there's a big demand for them sugar daddies already.  

When my friend joined World of Warcraft and of course had her inventory addiction like SL and found out she had to earn for larger bags she used to run around saying she would Whore for Bags, not really and not to anyone that would think she meant it, but it made me giggle thinking of people doing favours for TP money

• Haha 1

I would much prefer Option #1. I need to teleport around a lot for business purposes, and getting charged L$50 each time would ruin me, not to mention getting charged to teleport would cause people to leave.

If you were exempt from the charge if you either own the land you are teleporting to or are a member of the group that owns it, then I would prefer Option #2 but once again it could be the death of SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.