Agent SLURL loading bug?

Gabryel Nyoki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have you ever encountered that SOMETIMES agent slurl requests on the viewer client show as "Loading..." and are still clickable on the chat window even though we can't read the name?

If we run the script again to type in local - secondlife:///app/agent/UUID/about string then it will be fixed for some minutes and we can read the name.

I also noticed, the better the computer the less chance to see loading... instead of the name on the chat slurl, but no matter what computer, sometimes it will happen.

Anyone encountered a workaround for this? that would be much appreciated for a very helpful tool I'm working on for SL community.

Cheers~

Edited by Gabryel Nyoki

3 minutes ago, Gabryel Nyoki said:

You are off topic are you not?

No, you are using an external database which is not an SL issue and under EU law you are not allowed to use that database in SL. And LL are legally bound to abide by EU law. Fully on topic.

Edited by steph Arnott

Just now, steph Arnott said:

No, you are using an external database which is not an SL issue and under EU law you not allowed to use that database in SL. Fully on topic.

Ok I am not using a database, the issue is about SLURLS. that is what the topic says

you have no thing to add to this topic, thus, you are just spamming posts am I correct or am I wrong?

1 minute ago, Gabryel Nyoki said:

Ok I am not using a database, the issue is about SLURLS. that is what the topic says

you have no thing to add to this topic, thus, you are just spamming posts am I correct or am I wrong?

Your issue is your database. It is NOT an SL issue.

Your issue is your database. It is NOT an SL issue.

It is an SL issue.

I have a big string with UUID's, I substring it and ownersay the slurls.

The viewer buffer will overflow and retrieve some loadings instead of the correct agent name, it is a bug and I am wondering if there's a work around to not overflow that buffer.

But I guess I'm wasting my time explaining things to someone that is off topic and not scripting, so please stop spamming this post as I am working on something that is, as I said, very helpful for the community.

It is an SL issue.

I have a big string with UUID's, I substring it and ownersay the slurls.

The viewer buffer will overflow and retrieve some loadings instead of the correct agent name, it is a bug and I am wondering if there's a work around to not overflow that buffer.

But I guess I'm wasting my time explaining things to someone that is off topic and not scripting, so please stop spamming this post as I am working on something that is, as I said, very helpful for the community.

The issue is your data. END OF. And BTW no i have never had that issue in 8 years.

The issue is your data. END OF. And BTW no i have never had that issue in 8 years.

Make a strided list with [UUID, whatever, UUID, whatever] and loop while you get all the ID's and ownersay in the chat the SLURLs, this has NOTHING to do with databases. the issue happens in all viewers that support slurls, i.e: official and firestorm.

I am asking you nicely and please to stop spamming this post if you have nothing helpful to add.

Make a strided list with [UUID, whatever, UUID, whatever] and loop while you get all the ID's and ownersay in the chat the SLURLs, this has NOTHING to do with databases. the issue happens in all viewers that support slurls, i.e: official and firestorm.

I am asking you nicely and please to stop spamming this post if you have nothing helpful to add.

I have scripts that do that every day. None have ever failed. They turned off when LL run their weekly restarts. Have a nice day.

Am not giving you my product codes. When did you do that test because i just did one and it works just fine. But i do not use sql database tables.

of course not, you're just here to run for the guiness records of posting in forums, this is not the scripting forum or anything.

I am not using databases. It is a viewer limitation, and if you did actually knew scripting and actually tested it, you'd know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steph Arnott said:

Am not giving you my product codes. When did you do that test because i just did one and it works just fine. But i do not use sql database tables.

If your intention was to kick me out of the forum,

You succeeded, you have my permission to spam 5000 posts here about the weather and feel macho :)

of course not, you're just here to run for the guiness records of posting in forums, this is not the scripting forum or anything.

I am not using databases. It is a viewer limitation, and if you did actually knew scripting and actually tested it, you'd know.

Sure, well i will carry on writting commisioned data scripts and selling the one i released on the MP. Which i never intended to sell but so many RP groups kept badgering me to i did.

I apologise on Steph's behalf.

You're not crazy though, this does happen occasionally regardless of how good your computer or connection is. Sometimes the response from LL's service just gets delayed and there's nothing you can do to fix that as a user.

The link works because it's based on UUIDs, it's just the name-service that's faulty. (Not literally broken)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You're not crazy though, this does happen occasionally regardless of how good your computer or connection is. Sometimes the response from LL's service just gets delayed and there's nothing you can do to fix that as a user.

The link works because it's based on UUIDs, it's just the name-service that's faulty. (Not literally broken)

It is a data corruption issue and is caused by the outside data sender. Has nothing to do with LL.

This happens all the time, but there may be a nomenclature confusion here. The problem is not so much (never?) actual SLURLs, per se, but rather other viewer URIs that rely on data from common servers other than the sim itself. I don't think there's anything that can make the situation better or worse unless you can figure out a way to trick the viewer into requesting that data in advance, before it needs it to render the text you're actually trying to show. If you *do* figure out such a trick, it would be of intense interest because the problem is definitely annoying.

On the plus side, it happens so much that your users may be pretty forgiving in needing to click the "Loading..." link just to see what it was trying to represent.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Thank you!

However the computer specs do matter, I tried in several boxes, the worse the computer the more the loadings, hence why I believe the client also plays a part.

Yes, I am trying to find a work around, and yes if I find it I will post it, because unlike some *looks at seth" we're here to help eachother not to bash eachother, or at least I'd like to think so.

Thank you for your replies and your input!

7 minutes ago, Gabryel Nyoki said:

Thank you!

However the computer specs do matter, I tried in several boxes, the worse the computer the more the loadings, hence why I believe the client also plays a part.

Yes, I am trying to find a work around, and yes if I find it I will post it, because unlike some *looks at seth" we're here to help eachother not to bash eachother, or at least I'd like to think so.

Thank you for your replies and your input!

Firestorm is much better at handling URI resolution as it can handle dozens of pending resolutions whereas LL's viewer can only do one at a time and times outs too quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Firestorm is much better at handling URI resolution as it can handle dozens of pending resolutions whereas LL's viewer can only do one at a time and times outs too quickly.

yes, unfortunately firestorm is better at many things but when taking in consideration product development we have to consider the official viewer

Ok I coded a work-around solution.

Saying it twice seems to refresh whatever is making the server/client slurl request. Thus, saying it in another channel seems to work.

As usual not perfect but makes the official viewer look pro and stuff.

list ids = [id1,id2,id3,etc];

string tmpid; 

integer i =0;

for (; i<end; ++i)
        {
            tmpid =  "secondlife:///app/agent/"+ llList2String(ids,i)+"/about";
            llSay(1, tmpid);

llOwnerSay(tmpid);

}

Edited by Gabryel Nyoki
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

This happens all the time, but there may be a nomenclature confusion here. The problem is not so much (never?) actual SLURLs, per se, but rather other viewer URIs that rely on data from common servers other than the sim itself. I don't think there's anything that can make the situation better or worse unless you can figure out a way to trick the viewer into requesting that data in advance, before it needs it to render the text you're actually trying to show. If you *do* figure out such a trick, it would be of intense interest because the problem is definitely annoying.

On the plus side, it happens so much that your users may be pretty forgiving in needing to click the "Loading..." link just to see what it was trying to represent.

I fixed it thanks to your idea!

trick it ahead on a random unused channel, \m/

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.