Jump to content
  • 0
heygeeksandgamers

What does enabling 'Share' to a group actually do? Is there a way to make only group officers manipulate shared objects?

Question

I don't know if this is the right place to ask or if anyone can even help with this, but I'm trying anyway.

I'm renting a little parcel of land on a sim, and I've got a skybox on it. I logged in today to find various items missing - random items, unlinked to each other, from a wall to a bench to some objects my friends had placed. They'd all had physics and phantom enabled and tumbled down to the floor of the sim. All of these objects had 'Share' to group enabled. It seems like someone had joined our group (its public and free to join) and enabled physics etc.

There is a permission in group permissions that says "Manipulate (move, copy, modify) group-owned objects", which is enabled only for the owner (myself) and officers (all my friends). The default user role has NO permissions outside of joining the group chat and setting home on group land. None of them have been online today, and I trust them not to do stupid crap.

So it would seem that someone malicious joined the group, enabled physics on everything they could, and then left. So does the 'Share' tag on an object allow ANY member of a group to edit an object, even if the only relevant permission is disabled? I'm guessing it's not someone who cheated themselves into being an officer since they could have done a LOT worse than just mess with a few items. Is there any way to make it so that ONLY officers can do anything to shared objects, or do I need to make another friend-only group or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted (edited)

Share With Group means "share with anyone in the group."  If you want to share with a specific person on your Friends list, open your own profile at my.secondlife.com, find the person's name, click the gear-like settings button next to it, and select Permissions to see this new window:

b03213d9871ff1d7ee44b224e08ad67d.png

Then check the box, as I have, to let that person [ my alt, in this case] edit, delete, or take your objects.  Save the information and move on to the next person you want to share with.

Remember to remove permissions when you no longer want to share.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, heygeeksandgamers said:

It seems like someone had joined our group (its public and free to join) and enabled physics etc.

It's unwise to set a land group so that anyone can join. It's asking for trouble. I suggest changing the setting.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Share With Group means "share with anyone in the group."  If you want to share with a specific person on your Friends list, open your own profile at my.secondlife.com, find the person's name, click the gear-like settings button next to it, and select Permissions to see this new window:

b03213d9871ff1d7ee44b224e08ad67d.png

Then check the box, as I have, to let that person [ my alt, in this case] edit, delete, or take your objects.  Save the information and move on to the next person you want to share with.

Remember to remove permissions when you no longer want to share.

Thank you, this is probably what I should've done to start, though I'd rather a way that meant that only items I'd specifically marked to share could be edited by the people I'm working on this with. (Not because I don't trust them, just in case something accidentally happens).

11 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

It's unwise to set a land group so that anyone can join. It's asking for trouble. I suggest changing the setting.

What would be the best way to do this? Just make a new group and manually change all the items on the land to be set to that group instead? Since as I said earlier this is something I'm working on with others, not all the objects are owned by me, and there's a few placed by people who don't regularly log on.

Thank you both again for your replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

What Ethan meant is that your group should not be open, allowing anyone to join.

Just make sure the box "Anyone can join" isn't checked.

  group.png.441cb7c2e7ebd287ddbc1acc5b073d49.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 hours ago, heygeeksandgamers said:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask or if anyone can even help with this, but I'm trying anyway.

I'm renting a little parcel of land on a sim, and I've got a skybox on it. I logged in today to find various items missing - random items, unlinked to each other, from a wall to a bench to some objects my friends had placed. They'd all had physics and phantom enabled and tumbled down to the floor of the sim. All of these objects had 'Share' to group enabled. It seems like someone had joined our group (its public and free to join) and enabled physics etc.

There is a permission in group permissions that says "Manipulate (move, copy, modify) group-owned objects", which is enabled only for the owner (myself) and officers (all my friends). The default user role has NO permissions outside of joining the group chat and setting home on group land. None of them have been online today, and I trust them not to do stupid crap.

So it would seem that someone malicious joined the group, enabled physics on everything they could, and then left. So does the 'Share' tag on an object allow ANY member of a group to edit an object, even if the only relevant permission is disabled? I'm guessing it's not someone who cheated themselves into being an officer since they could have done a LOT worse than just mess with a few items. Is there any way to make it so that ONLY officers can do anything to shared objects, or do I need to make another friend-only group or something?

Based on my testing, your understanding of how the settings should work are correct - which is also how I've always understood that 'Share' checkbox to work. 

Myself and 3 of my alts have full abilities in our land group.  I have 4 other alts that simply have the 'Everyone' role which allows them to 'Set Home', 'Receive and view notices', and 'Join Chat'.  None of my alts have the ability to edit my objects via permission settings in the Friends list.

I created an object and set it to 'Share' with the land group.  I then logged in one of the alts with full abilities and they could manipulate the object - as I expected.  I then logged in the alt with only the 'Everyone' role and she could not do anything to the object - which also is what I expected.

Therefore, if your objects were manipulated either your group settings are not quite as you thought, or one of those officers really did log in today and mess with stuff, or something quite odd happened.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2019 at 10:19 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Based on my testing, your understanding of how the settings should work are correct - which is also how I've always understood that 'Share' checkbox to work. 

Myself and 3 of my alts have full abilities in our land group.  I have 4 other alts that simply have the 'Everyone' role which allows them to 'Set Home', 'Receive and view notices', and 'Join Chat'.  None of my alts have the ability to edit my objects via permission settings in the Friends list.

I created an object and set it to 'Share' with the land group.  I then logged in one of the alts with full abilities and they could manipulate the object - as I expected.  I then logged in the alt with only the 'Everyone' role and she could not do anything to the object - which also is what I expected.

Therefore, if your objects were manipulated either your group settings are not quite as you thought, or one of those officers really did log in today and mess with stuff, or something quite odd happened.

oh, that's interesting! Could they really not change anything about the object? As said, far as I can tell the objects weren't moved, they were physics/phantom enabled.

qibOiqY.png

these are the only relevant permissions I can see, and they're all disabled for everyone except officers. There's also the "Always allow 'Create Objects'" role, which I've handed to one or two friends so they could rez stuff without being made an officer, but far as I can tell that wouldn't have an impact either.

I'll have to do some tests with my own group just in case there is a setting I've missed. I know for a fact that none of my officers logged in during the time it happened (I mean, there's probably a way to alter the 'last online' thing, but I doubt any of my friends would do that). Plus, they could've done a lot worse.

Edited by heygeeksandgamers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, heygeeksandgamers said:

Could they really not change anything about the object? As said, far as I can tell the objects weren't moved, they were physics/phantom enabled.

My alt couldn't do any editing of any sort to the object.  

Let me know how your testing goes, especially if you get different results, because then I'd be curious as to what settings might be different between the tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
53 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My alt couldn't do any editing of any sort to the object.  

Let me know how your testing goes, especially if you get different results, because then I'd be curious as to what settings might be different between the tests.

apparently I should've just read the tooltip

Yxti22t.png

since I'm the owner that means any group member would have all permissions for any object I share (though Deed there is greyed out so I'm not entirely sure how that works)... which would explain how they were able to easily edit all the stuff. So I was just an idiot to share all that stuff.

Thanks everyone for your help, though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...