Second Life 16th Birthday Celebrations Confirmed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So exciting .. loved the 50s .. yes, I'm old enough to have been alive during that period of time though I hardly remember it at all. But I remember very clearly dancing the twist while Chubby Checker sang on American Bandstand (I was 6). So yeah!! Excited for the theme.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

'Sweet sixteen' was a long time ago for me and not sure on its PC-ness but by hell or high water . yes ;) Also will ask me dad about the 50s....

It's amazing what actually happened back in 2003...

https://www.computerhope.com/history/2003.htm - This is a interesting page for computer history for 2003 

https://www.infoplease.com/year/2003 - top news stories for 2003

Edited by Daniel Voyager

37 minutes ago, Daniel Voyager said:

It's amazing what actually happened back in 2003...

https://www.computerhope.com/history/2003.htm - This is a interesting page for computer history for 2003 

https://www.infoplease.com/year/2003 - top news stories for 2003

Oh no they didn't...

"The game Second Life was released on June 23, 2003"

Quick form the militia..

• Haha 2

I wonder if Ebbe will recycle the 15 for 15 Display Names and BOM promises into 16 for 16?

(from what I have seen of the 1950s on youtube, I am glad I wasn't born, the closedmindness, racism, sexism , and -phobias would have led me to slap people repeatedly.)

Edited by Shudo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shudo said:

(from what I have seen of the 1950s on youtube, I am glad I wasn't born, the closedmindness, racism, sexism , and -phobias would have led me to slap people repeatedly.)

And that was only in the US, ... the 50s were comrade Stalin's  prime...

Edited by Fionalein

4 hours ago, Shudo said:

You say that as if the same things couldn't be found widespread in any decade, including the current one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Let me see - in the UK we had rationing, bombed-out buildings, broken industry, back to the kitchen for women.  For most people it was still make-do-and-mend.  Of course the celebration is based on '50s America where presumably they'd never had it so good.  Sorry, but I grew up in the '50s and what glamour and fun we had was on the t.v. (we had a 9-inch screen t.v. paid for by wearing second-hand clothes and scrimping on food).  Still, have fun, folks! :D 

If you want to be negative, you can find reasons, and lots of them, from any decade in time. Come on people, start looking for the good in things instead of constantly being so negative.

We can celebrate the birth of the civil rights movement, the beginnings of the anti-war movement, the growing liberation of women in the workplace. Yes, these are issues but stop and think about it. It was during the 50s that things began to change. It took time to get the ball rolling but it started there. We have true American heroes that gave up part of their lives, and some who gave up their lives fighting for these causes during the 50s. There are things to celebrate from the 50s. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Maybe I can cross-dress in a poodle skirt and wear a beehive hair for the SLB. I hope they don’t segregate based on avatar species. At least it’s not the 1850’s or 1750’s.

Ooh, maybe they will have retro “futuristic” stuff, as imagined back then. Sock Hop anyone? Post-war optimism! 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You say that as if the same things couldn't be found widespread in any decade, including the current one.

Not at the level of the 1950s, when you take off the rose coloured glasses it was a decade that stood pretty much alone for post-war shortages, conflict, and hatred.

McCarthyism and Red Panic in the USA and of course the Korean War in the first half and then the horrors of the Vietnam war in the second half.

All the time while the cold war was ramping up and Europe was divided even more as a result of the USA/USSR tensions.. Additionally it was the decade of the Suez Crisis which caused some substantial issues in that region. The Algerian war started. The Cuban Revolution. The Kenyan uprising. The start of the Rwandan genocides. The Hungarian revolution also occurred. China "reclaimed" Tibet. Cambodian Insurgency. 

I apologize for the wall of text, but unfortunately it's the only way to compare/contrast the previous post.

A look at the 80s

UNITED STATES-PANAMA

Squeaking in at the end of the decade, President Bush sent 12,000 American troops into Panama City on Dec. 20, 1989, in an effort to capture Gen. Manuel Noriega and install the government elected democratically earlier in the year.

IRAN-IRAQ

The eight-year war was the decade's longest conventional military conflict. Casualty estimates vary widely and reaches as high as 1 million dead, two-third of them Iranian.

AFGHANISTAN

Continuing civil war between Soviet-backed government and U.S.-supported insurgents. Moscow withdrew Soviet troops in 1989. The United Nations estimates that 1.5 million Afghans have died. Moscow says 13,310 Red Army soldiers died.

LEBANON

Civil war that started in 1975 continues, with casualties mounting to more than 150,000, most of them civilians. The israeli invasion of 1982 led to additional casualties, including 654 Israelis war dead. Almost 300 U.S. and French peacekeeping soldiers were killed in 1983 bombings.

FALKLAND ISLANDS

Argentina and Britain engaged in a short, bloody war in 1982 over disputed islands in the South Atlantic. The air, sea and ground conflict left 712 Argentines and 255 Britons dead.

EL SALVADOR

In a conflict that began in 1979, leftist guerrillas have been battling the U.S.-supported Salvadoran government, and more than 71,000 Salvadorans have died, mostly civilians. Thousands have been killed by right-wing death squads.

NICARAGUA

Since 1981, Sandinista government troops and U.S.-supported Contras have been locked in sporadic conflict, but the war appears to be ending. At least 29,000 dead, according to President Daniel Ortega of Nicaragua.

SUDAN

The Sudan >Peoples' Liberation Army has fought the government since 1983. Casualty figures are not available, but U.N. estimates put the number of war-induced famine deaths at 250,000 in 1988.

UGANDA

The National Resistance Army battled the government from 1981 to 1986, when it seized power. Casualties estimated at between 100,000 and 200,000.

ANGOLA

A civil war erupted in 1975 and sputters on, despite a declared 1989 cease-fire. None of the parties released casualty figures, but 200,000 deaths were estimated.

NAMIBIA

Guerrilla war in which black nationalist South-West African People's Organization sought to end white South African control of territory. Settlment negotiated in 1988. Some 20,000 killed over 23 years.

ETHIOPIA

Separatists in Ethiopia's northern province of Eritrea have been waging war against the central government since 1961. Casualties are estimated at 1 million from fighting and famine. Other separatist conflicts have flared elsewhere in Ethiopia.

CAMBODIA

Vietnam and a Vietnamese-backed Cambodian government fought a coalition of three guerrilla groups through the '80s. Vietnam said 25,000 of its troops were killed. The Cambodian government said it lost more than 20,000 killed and wounded. Guerrilla casualties were not reported.

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Shudo said:

Not at the level of the 1950s, when you take off the rose coloured glasses it was a decade that stood pretty much alone for post-war shortages, conflict, and hatred.

McCarthyism and Red Panic in the USA and of course the Korean War in the first half and then the horrors of the Vietnam war in the second half.

All the time while the cold war was ramping up and Europe was divided even more as a result of the USA/USSR tensions.. Additionally it was the decade of the Suez Crisis which caused some substantial issues in that region. The Algerian war started. The Cuban Revolution. The Kenyan uprising. The start of the Rwandan genocides. The Hungarian revolution also occurred. China "reclaimed" Tibet. Cambodian Insurgency. 

Now pick a "better" decade.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How about the 60’s? Just leave out Vietnam. Peace, Love, good music, good stuff in the Space Program, Civil Rights movement..

We're only counting bad things, Love. Those are the rules. Take it up with Shudo, who is also maintaining that the 1950's "stand alone" over the 1910's (World War I, Titanic, Spanish Flu epidemic), 1930's (Great Depression, Hitler, Stalin purges) and 1940's (World War II,  Holocaust, nuclear weapons.)

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.