Jump to content
Wandering Soulstar

Valid Characters in Script Names

Recommended Posts

My first thought would have been to look at the limits page - but it doesn't appear to have this information listed.

Failing that, I looked up llSetObjectName to see if it had any restriction - and it does. Specifically:

Quote

Names can only consist of the 95 printable characters found in the ASCII-7 (non-extended) character set, with the exception of the vertical bar/pipe ("|") character.

  • Non-ASCII characters will be replaced with two question marks ("??").

Now although this is in relation to object names, I'm making an assumption that scripts might share similar restrictions - since both objects and scripts can be referenced in similar ways via object inventory. I am not able to get inworld to verify right now, but if anyone could do that, I'd appreciate it.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

I am not able to get inworld to verify right now, but if anyone could do that, I'd appreciate it.

Tested it now and yes, you are correct.

If you try to manually use any character not in ASCII-7 on a script name the viewer makes it's error clunk/beep.

Even simple EU characters like ü,ö,ë,ç,ñ are not allowed.

Edited by Shudo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

My first thought would have been to look at the limits page - but it doesn't appear to have this information listed.

Failing that, I looked up llSetObjectName to see if it had any restriction - and it does. Specifically:

Now although this is in relation to object names, I'm making an assumption that scripts might share similar restrictions - since both objects and scripts can be referenced in similar ways via object inventory. I am not able to get inworld to verify right now, but if anyone could do that, I'd appreciate it.

The DEL character(U+007f) can be set but only via script.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

The DEL character(U+007f) can be set but only via script.

Interesting! I tried to do this with llSetObjectName and a string that would contain the character, but I'm not sure if I am doing it right...

Does the sequence ALT + 127 produce the actual DEL character? All I get is a little house symbol ( ⌂ ) which in the resulting object name becomes ?? as outlined by the wiki caveats. But that's the same as with other characters - should I be expecting a different outcome specifically for the DEL character? Or did I misunderstand you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

Interesting! I tried to do this with llSetObjectName and a string that would contain the character, but I'm not sure if I am doing it right...

Does the sequence ALT + 127 produce the actual DEL character? All I get is a little house symbol ( ⌂ ) which in the resulting object name becomes ?? as outlined by the wiki caveats. But that's the same as with other characters - should I be expecting a different outcome specifically for the DEL character? Or did I misunderstand you?

I thought 'DEL' was an LL usage only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 7:31 AM, Fenix Eldritch said:

Interesting! I tried to do this with llSetObjectName and a string that would contain the character, but I'm not sure if I am doing it right...

Does the sequence ALT + 127 produce the actual DEL character? All I get is a little house symbol ( ⌂ ) which in the resulting object name becomes ?? as outlined by the wiki caveats. But that's the same as with other characters - should I be expecting a different outcome specifically for the DEL character? Or did I misunderstand you?

llSetObjectName(llUnescapeURL("%7f"));

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...