2nd try for a Second life...

Niko7513

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So like many other...i've been on this break...and am now trying to get back up on my feet, and ofcourse, most of my friends dissolved over time in my friends list.  I have been able to make -some- friends but no where close to what i had. It seems that making friends is getting more difficult over the years in SL. especially if you're on the europe side of the world.

So now i'm getting curious if this is going to work out. I am looking for friends. my activities in SL consists mostly out of photography or decorating, working on my own avatar, exploring really cool places and hanging at different clubs or listen to live music or dj's.

I'd really like to have someone next to me to share the experience and chat the afternoon or evening away. i'm friendly, open, and up for pretty much anything!

Snapshot_011 -copy1.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

hold my udders
hump my undercarriage
have my uterus

Possibly, but unlikely.

What does 'hmu' mean?

for me it means the same as hru, sup, k, ..... : dbmidwc

*don't bother me i don't want to chat"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

hold my udders
hump my undercarriage
have my uterus

Possibly, but unlikely.

What does 'hmu' mean?

Hail, Marcus Aurelius!

How many uncles?

Harvesting my unicorns.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ViscousSummer88 said:

seems europe is a dying bread around here?

Not exactly, It does seem that EU folks are more scattered over SL, which makes us, as inhabitants of Europe play more detective on the grid to find others from the same part of the world.

Edited by Niko7513

1 hour ago, Niko7513 said:

"the old country"

Europe is a continent, not a country. The term 'the old country' refers to any country from which someone has moved to live abroad of. For Jews that fled from Germany and Poland to Sweden during the war, either of those can be 'the old country'. Likewise Hungarians who fled during the Hungarian revolt of 1956, Hungary is 'the old country'. To people fleeing the Yugoslav Wars in the 90's, any of the West-Balkan nations can be 'the old country', or the case may be that 'the old country' (of Yugoslavia) has ceased to exist. The term 'the old world' refers to those continents that were known of up until the renaissance, i.e. Europe, Asia and Africa, which made up the entirety of older 'world maps' - laterally that's an area spanning across 11 standard time zones; Europe alone spans 4.

You may be closer, in terms of schedule, to a person in Tunisia or South Africa, than you are someone in Portugal or Belarus. In terms of culture and linguistics, Europe is extremely diverse - you're as likely to find a person you can tolerate in India or Mexico, as you are someone who lives next door. So what is the motive of finding someone based on their physical proximity, in a virtual world? Finding someone one could communicate with in one's native language, sure - but if one speaks German and the other speaks Italian and both have to resort to flaky English to communicate, what's the point? Besides, there are communities and venues, as well as forum boards, for some of those languages - the German-speaking community appears quite healthy, the Turkish-speaking community had quite a lot going on last time I peeked in on them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niko7513 said:

Not exactly, It does seem that EU folks are more scattered over SL, which makes us, as inhabitants of "the old country" play more detective on the grid to find others from the same part of the world.

Actually when I encounter a fellow German I am more likely to run from them...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Europe is a continent, not a country.

it is?....joking ofcourse, i knew that! but thanks for pointing that out to me..

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

The term 'the old country' refers to any country from which someone has moved to live abroad of. For Jews that fled from Germany and Poland to Sweden during the war, either of those can be 'the old country'. Likewise Hungarians who fled during the Hungarian revolt of 1956, Hungary is 'the old country'. To people fleeing the Yugoslav Wars in the 90's, any of the West-Balkan nations can be 'the old country', or the case may be that 'the old country' (of Yugoslavia) has ceased to exist. The term 'the old world' refers to those continents that were known of up until the renaissance, i.e. Europe, Asia and Africa, which made up the entirety of older 'world maps' - laterally that's an area spanning across 11 standard time zones; Europe alone spans 4.

Now THAT i didn't know.... i just knew that it was called that, not into detail though...i guess i made a mistake there😁

9 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

It's usually the same for me and Swedes. I've currently got 5 Swedes on my friend list, but I only really have some sort of regular communication with one of them. There's been multitudes more in the past, but as I said about 'being European doesn't constitute a mutual basis for friendship', the same goes for 'being Swedish ...'. Some of them I've purposefully ticked off by mocking their accent (Southern Swedes speaking as if they've got a hot potato jammed down their gob, whiny West-Middle-Swedes speaking as if they're meanwhile inserting a toothbrush backwards into their proverbial faucet and a toilet brush up their proverbial garbage chute, and Stockholmers speaking as if they're too tired to get out of bed but -really- have to do the number two), because I'm too merciful to point out that the content of their skulls is less acute than most forms of amoebae.

21 minutes ago, Niko7513 said:

Now THAT i didn't know.... i just knew that it was called that, not into detail though...i guess i made a mistake there😁

To be honest, it's more of a pop-culture trope these days. In Europe, especially British humour, it's often about Slavs reminiscing about 'the old country' and how wonderful everything was - generally it turns out to be the Soviet Union and that they're basically closet-communists. In America it appears to be especially popular in humour targeting the Italian-American community, where Italy is 'the old country' - obviously spoken with a fake Italian-American accent. SNL comes to mind. Here in Sweden, it's sometimes applied to the Finno-Swedish community, also with a terribly mimicked Finno-Swedish or Tornedals-Swedish accent; and just like many American comedians, most Swedish comedians think that the 'comedy' is inherent to the accent, and completely miss the depth of the trope. It's also used outside of comedy on occasion (if I'm not mistaken, the phrase occurs in The Godfather; I think that might be where it originated even) - at which point it's little more than slang. Once I've seen an attempt of comically applying it to Arabic-Swedish community, and they that time they -did- grasp the 'depth' of the joke as they reminisced about, well, let's just say it involves the treatment of women and that the comedian is no longer welcome in the public media. 

haha, @Orwar, ok, lets quit the explanation about the old country thing...this is going way off topic (yes, i started it, i know😉), but thanks for explaining it to me.😃 BTW, i changed it back to europe.

47 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Same, not always, but often!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.