Vehicle, physics shape (throws up through the roof).

ainst Composer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! I build a vehicle and I have a question about physics shape. it will be a two-story bed and when I get up from the bed, it throws me up through the roof. How to make it not to throw up but push me inside? Any suggestions? all the other positions push me to the right way. I have an idea to make the roof not three cubic blocks but one continuous block curved in two places along the roof arc. What do you think will help? Does it depend on the thickness of the block? still get very thin.

111.png

Edited by ainst Composer

1 minute ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Don't make the roof physical

Hello! thanks for the answer! I can not do without physics for the roof at all. this is going to be a vehicle (houseboat) and i need the opportunity to walk on the roof.

What Fionalein said. If you are inside a physics volume, the engine will push you out on the shortest path possible.

Another method is to use animations with an offset. Offset so that the agent actually is still outside of the physics volume, but appears to be on the right spot.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, ainst Composer said:

and how to create animation with an offset?

you must relocate the avatar center when creating the animation, I think it is callled hip bone ... you must however do this when in your BVH/anim editor before uploading ...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you are squeezed between the 2 beds. If the upper bed is a separate object, you could try to set that to physics type None. You might still be squeezed between the lower bed and the roof though.

About the animations. You shift the entire body away from the default XY 0,0 position in the animation software, and export/import that.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

Looks like you are squeezed between the 2 beds.

If you look closely you will note the bound box stays upright no matter what your animation does - you must keep that bound box out of physical things. If you move the hip bone the bound box will still appear in your avatar's position but the avatar will appear elsewhere. If you have free control over your animation try building it so you are actually in the boat because that is the position you will unsit from...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

If you look closely you will note the bound box stays upright no mater what your animation does - you must keep that bound box oout of physical things.

Yeah right. Actually, I did not notice the BB display at first sight.

• Thanks 1

Of course, there is a drawback with offset animations as well. The avatars physics my block other avatars who will try to move on that way. It's a common method by lots of car builders as well, keeping the avatars physics shape outside of the vehicle. I rejected the idea for my vehicles though, because of the avatars physics shape can collide with obstacles out in the wild. Which isn't very realistic actually.

Just a FYI.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Thanks 1

@arton Rotaru @Fionalein @ChinRey @CoffeeDujour

Hello! Thank you very much for your efforts! I followed your recommendations and used animations with an offset . As a result, everything works! for this I used a program Qavimator. I had to tinker with it and some places were incomprehensible, but mostly everything works.

Thanks to all of you very much again!

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Edited by ainst Composer
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ainst Composer said:

Hello! Thank you very much for your efforts! I followed your recommendations and used animations with an offset . As a result, everything works! for this I used a program Qavimator. I had to tinker with it and some places were incomprehensible, but mostly everything works.

Qavimator is great . You can even do bento stuff with it now.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.