Question for tattoo creators

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have large experience with Photoshop and Illustrator, but little to none with 3D softwares. Following recommendations, I'm using Mudbox to apply the texture/tattoo as stencil, and export the uv as a Photoshop file, so the tattoo doesn't get too flat.

For a localized tattoo, it's great. But it's almost impossible to make it seamless. The distortion to wrap the surface makes very difficult to reposition the stencil exactly on the edge of the previous application.

Is there any developer here to tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Is Mudbox the right tool, the one you use? Or is it possible to wrap an arm, for example, with the stencil?

• 1 year later...

Possible yes easy no. I use mudbox for my tattoos because I can not find information this this very subject. What I will do is place the tattoo, stencil it, then turn the model, erase any imperfections, reposition the stencil to line it up, make a smaller brush and paint only the portion not previously painted so I don’t get bleed over lines. If I could learn photoshop it may be better. If you have questions message me in world.

In Mudbox settings, under the brush section, make sure also to increase the bleeding / padding (can't remember the exact wording, it's quite a long time I don't use Mudbox) pixel amount. This way ensures edge matching inworld too and avoids seamlines. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, i am utilising mudbox and photoshop for tattoos. My issue is that i cannot import the avatar with the correct uv maps.  I have done so manually and what a mess. 

Any pointers as to how get the correct uv map into mudbox for the avatar?

♥ Thank you

3 hours ago, GreenEyeGoldilocks said:

Hi guys, i am utilising mudbox and photoshop for tattoos. My issue is that i cannot import the avatar with the correct uv maps.  I have done so manually and what a mess. 

Any pointers as to how get the correct uv map into mudbox for the avatar?

♥ Thank you

There are two methods: 

1) Make sure each body section gets its own material 

2) Or make sure each body section has its UVs sitting in their own UDIM uv space

Number 1 is most likely the easiest to achieve if you're not much into 3d softwares. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.