Is it possible for someone to hack your IM’s?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, I'm an arse for pointing out the very obvious.... 

Especially after some of the conclusions that were jumped to. 

What conclusions? Again, i am asking questions because I dont know the answers. It’s great that you know everything, but not all of us do. So, not sure why I am suddenly being attacked by people for trying to understand what I have admitted I dont.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beardypops said:

What conclusions? Again, i am asking questions because I dont know the answers. It’s great that you know everything, but not all of us do. So, not sure why I am suddenly being attacked by people for trying to understand what I have admitted I dont.

You're not being attacked, settle down. 

5 minutes ago, Beardypops said:

Yes.....

So who told you this? Because it's not in this thread. And from this thread we know RLVa never did this.

As I said, a nefarious viewer (nothing to do with RLV) could easily intercept IMs, even with "end-to-end" encryption, inasmuch as they implement the presentation layer above the "end", but also as I said, one of the parties to the messaging would have to be using such a viewer.

• Like 2

Well, it seems that way when I ask a question and people start talking to me like I’m stupid for asking them and calling me paranoid. Many people have actually attempted to help me to understand how it all works ans 3 of you habe chosen to condescend to me and say things like I am naive and paramoid instead of offering answers to my questions. Oh and then there’s the haxors comment CoffeeDuJour threw out there...so you do the math since you know so much.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

So who told you this? Because it's not in this thread. And from this thread we know RLVa never did this.

As I said, a nefarious viewer (nothing to do with RLV) could easily intercept IMs, even with "end-to-end" encryption, inasmuch as they implement the presentation layer above the "end", but also as I said, one of the parties to the messaging would have to be using such a viewer.

Ummm yes it did. Rlv used to have the ability for an avatar to grant permissions to another avatar to read their IM’s via the spy app. But maybe you just havent been around long enough to know this. This kind of response is EXACTLY why I am asking these questions. Because some of you clearly havent been on SL long enough to know wtf you are talking about and just assume that because it doesnt happen now, that it never happened. Believe me it did. I was there.

Edited by Beardypops
  • Haha 1

There's no math to do and if you recall, I also gave you answers earlier in the thread. 

For some things you've asked or assumed in this thread, you can try searching (through Google) for documentation. 

For other things, you'll have to take the word of those who have been here for a while - the Lindens don't generally respond. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

There's no math to do and if you recall, I also gave you answers earlier in the thread. 

For some things you've asked or assumed in this thread, you can try searching (through Google) for documentation. 

For other things, you'll have to take the word of those who have been here for a while - the Lindens don't generally respond. 

Well, you werent the one I was calling an a**hole so, you were the one that made an assumption. I do appreciate the actual answers I have received. I dont recall making any assumptions, but rather stating things i have experienced or seen and asking questions of the things I dont know. If i have erroneously stated certain things, I am happy oy to be corrected on them. What I dont need though, is for people to start calling me stupid, paranoid or naive.

Edited by Beardypops

6 minutes ago, Beardypops said:

Ummm yes it did. Rlv used to have the ability for an avatar to grant permissions to another avatar to read their IM’s via the spy app. But maybe you just havent been around long enough to know this.

Where did you get that information from? 

The spy app is for local chat and - for as long as I can remember - has never had the ability to transmit IMs to anyone except the user you are communicating with. 

It should be noted that I've used RLV and its derivative for years now, ever since it started to be included into other clients outside of its dedicated client. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Where did you get that information from? 

The spy app is for local chat and - for as long as I can remember - has never had the ability to transmit IMs to anyone except the user you are communicating with. 

It should be noted that I've used RLV and its derivative for years now, ever since it started to be included into other clients outside of its dedicated client. 

It’s not information I “got” i remember when it had that functionality. Maybe it wasnt that exact app, but there was a very early spy app that did have the functionality 

Edited by Beardypops

1 minute ago, Beardypops said:

Well, you werent the one I was calling an a**hole so, you were the one that made an assumption. I do appreciate the actual answers I have received. I dont recall making any assumptions, but rather stating things i have experienced and asking questions of the things I dont know. If i have erroneously states certain things, I am happy oy to be corrected on them. What I dont need though, is for people to start calling me stupid, paranoid or naive.

I'll call things as I see them, if you "need" it or not. 

And no one here has been an arse. 

1 minute ago, Beardypops said:

It’s not information I “got” i remember when it had that functionality.

That's nice. 

Unless it was in the original, dedicated client, it never existed. 

Not in any client that wasn't designed with questionable motives anyway. 

Edited by Solar Legion

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice. 

Unless it was in the original, dedicated client, it never existed. 

You probably missed my edit. I said it may not have been the current spy app, but there was an app at one point in time back around 2007-2008 that did have that functionality

Edited by Beardypops

I'm the first to admit that I know nothing about RLV -- I've avoided knowing anything about it for over twelve years, so if the OP wants an old geezer fencing match with dueling walking sticks, I'm prepared. I also admit that the "end-to-end encryption" thing had me focused on non-consensual IM reading, not the possibility of some permission-dependent spy app. I'm in no position to say one way or another if antediluvian RLV ever had such a feature, but anything non-consensual would be a griefer viewer, not RLV, so still: one of the parties would need use such a viewer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beardypops said:

You probably missed my edit. I said it may not have been the current spy app, but there was an app at one point in time back around 2007-2008 that did have that functionality

Any scripted application would require a corresponding function in the actual RLV code. 

Which would require one or the other party to be using an unauthorized third party client or functionality in the original RLV client that was later removed upon demand by Linden Lab. 

Edited by Solar Legion

8 minutes ago, Beardypops said:

One individual was kind of an arse in their response, actually. And that was to whom i was responding.

Which one, I'm not seeing anything... Then again, I've got a fairly high bar when it comes to calling someone an arse. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm the first to admit that I know nothing about RLV -- I've avoided knowing anything about it for over twelve years, so if the OP wants an old geezer fencing match with dueling walking sticks, I'm prepared. I also admit that the "end-to-end encryption" thing had me focused on non-consensual IM reading, not the possibility of some permission-dependent spy app. I'm in no position to say one way or another if antediluvian RLV ever had such a feature, but anything non-consensual would be a griefer viewer, not RLV, so still: one of the parties would need use such a viewer.

And a griefer viewer makes sense to me. Thank you for that. That is something Indid not know existed and it is possible that is what was used in this situation. That’s all my question is...has it ever been possible and is it still possible that some of these tools created in the earlier days of SL could still be used even though they now go against ToS. 

Edited by Beardypops

6 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Any scripted application would require a corresponding function in the actual RLV code. 

Which would require one or the other party to be using an unauthorized third party client or functionality in the original RLV client that was later removed upon demand by Linden Lab. 

Correct. It used to be allowed, they changed ToS and made it “illegal” in SL 8-9 yrs ago. But my only point in bringing that up is, this used to exist. So at one point in time, it was possible to read someone’s IM’s. Is it possible that back then, some hud or script might have been created that is still in people’s inventories that would still be able to do that regardless of it being against ToS or not.

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Which one, I'm not seeing anything... Then again, I've got a fairly high bar when it comes to calling someone an arse. 

Well, you werent the one being condescended to. So i am sure it seemed fine to you. 😃

15 minutes ago, Beardypops said:

Correct. It used to be allowed, they changed ToS and made it “illegal” in SL 8-9 yrs ago. But my only point in bringing that up is, this used to exist. So at one point in time, it was possible to read someone’s IM’s. Is it possible that back then, some hud or script might have been created that is still in people’s inventories that would still be able to do that regardless of it being against ToS or not.

That's just it, the ToS never allowed such a thing.

It may have been clarified but even as far back as 2806, IMs were considered/treated as private by Linden Lab and their ToS, making any method of sharing them using their service or any part of their software "illegal". That includes the client software, among other things. 

6 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Correct. It was possible before 2009. i started SL in 2007. At that time it was possible. Then somewhere between that time and 2009, they changed ToS and made that functionality “illegal.” So, i guess my math is wrong in how many years ago this was. I was just thinking I’ve been in SL 11 yrs as of last October,  so it had to be 8-9 yrs ago. But it is 2019 now, so 2007-2009 is 10+ yrs ago.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.