Jump to content

What exactly does SL have over every other platform?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

What do you think are SL's strengths compared to other virtual worlds. What makes it recommendable over seemingly newer and better platforms?

My thoughts on this:

1. It's mature. It is not untried or untested. You can find a lot of facts about SL not based on hype.

2. It's adult. SL has managed to implement sexuality in a manner neither prurient nor censored. LL's residents were the main impetus which keeps LL from outrightly designing SL for adult activity.

3. Micro-transaction market. If you want it you can buy it. If it's not in the marketplace, you just found something to sell.

4. Building with sound, animation and programming. If you need something you can make it or pay someone to make it. 

What other talking points can we bring up when discussing SL with others?

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a huge world. You can go instantly anywhere to explore interesting places.
I have visited every continent many times and I have been exploring places in every one of them quite a lot.
And there are still lots of places to explore in all of them. Which is great.

By the way, the narrow strip of regions just above my head is the ex-teen grid.

2019-03-11_SL-continents-map.thumb.jpg.64fbd4da0dd2f65e6994c6e869795aac.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a word, Second Life has LONGEVITY. After 15 years it is still the most popular and financially successful virtual world out there. And it's because so many people have so much invested in the platform that they stay put, instead of starting over again somewhere else. 

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2019 at 12:13 PM, Vanity Fair said:

In a word, Second Life has LONGEVITY. After 15 years it is still the most popular and financially successful virtual world out there. And it's because so many people have so much invested in the platform that they stay put, instead of starting over again somewhere else. 

While it may not currently be the most popular, Active Worlds is still a going concern after 23 years. For the same reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Just about anything can be used as a projectile in SL. No matter the size, it'll fit through the barrel of a gun.

I always wondered how those huge watermelons fit through such a small muzzle on those SL watermelon guns I used to play with. They were almost as much fun as the sprem guns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I always wondered how those huge watermelons fit through such a small muzzle on those SL watermelon guns I used to play with. They were almost as much fun as the sprem guns.

oh, which one do you use? we should meet for a watermellon fight one day...

I have the [s2] watermelon attack... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Just about anything can be used as a projectile in SL. No matter the size, it'll fit through the barrel of a gun.

I miss my couch gun :/ but don't have my own region anymore and binned it .. didn't trust myself not to use it randomly and get banned for grif.

60CPSS (60 couches per second each shooting their own couches) all from a freebie gun I was given at help island on my very first login.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SL's biggest strength is it's highly customizable avatar system.  As much as i like SL, if a new virtual world came out that rivaled SL's avatar customization, i would ditch it in a heartbeat because it's so outdated and wonky these days.  I've tried most of the newer alternatives in the past, such as VSide, Kaneva, NuVera, Twinity, Sinespace, and so on, but most of them had terrible customization options or the lack of creators willing to move from SL.  The only one that comes close is IMVU, but i don't like instanced chat rooms and prefer the open world of SL (not only that but you need a subscription to use their creator program!).

The newer Virtual Reality programs, such as Sansar and High Fidelity, could have been great alternatives, but they focus on VR and not so much on avatar customization, which is a shame, because avatar identity is the most important aspect of virtual worlds, or any online presence in general.

Edited by Nextio
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2019 at 1:54 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

I miss my couch gun :/ but don't have my own region anymore and binned it .. didn't trust myself not to use it randomly and get banned for grif.

60CPSS (60 couches per second each shooting their own couches) all from a freebie gun I was given at help island on my very first login.

I have a screenshot from a time I used my sofa gun, shot a few sofas out and had some people walk over and sit down with me on someone elses parcel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...