What exactly does SL have over every other platform?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What do you think are SL's strengths compared to other virtual worlds. What makes it recommendable over seemingly newer and better platforms?

My thoughts on this:

1. It's mature. It is not untried or untested. You can find a lot of facts about SL not based on hype.

2. It's adult. SL has managed to implement sexuality in a manner neither prurient nor censored. LL's residents were the main impetus which keeps LL from outrightly designing SL for adult activity.

3. Micro-transaction market. If you want it you can buy it. If it's not in the marketplace, you just found something to sell.

4. Building with sound, animation and programming. If you need something you can make it or pay someone to make it. 

What other talking points can we bring up when discussing SL with others?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's a huge world. You can go instantly anywhere to explore interesting places.
I have visited every continent many times and I have been exploring places in every one of them quite a lot.
And there are still lots of places to explore in all of them. Which is great.

By the way, the narrow strip of regions just above my head is the ex-teen grid.

2019-03-11_SL-continents-map.thumb.jpg.64fbd4da0dd2f65e6994c6e869795aac.jpg

• Like 7

In a word, Second Life has LONGEVITY. After 15 years it is still the most popular and financially successful virtual world out there. And it's because so many people have so much invested in the platform that they stay put, instead of starting over again somewhere else. 

• Like 11

On 3/12/2019 at 12:13 PM, Vanity Fair said:

In a word, Second Life has LONGEVITY. After 15 years it is still the most popular and financially successful virtual world out there. And it's because so many people have so much invested in the platform that they stay put, instead of starting over again somewhere else. 

While it may not currently be the most popular, Active Worlds is still a going concern after 23 years. For the same reason.

2 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Just about anything can be used as a projectile in SL. No matter the size, it'll fit through the barrel of a gun.

I always wondered how those huge watermelons fit through such a small muzzle on those SL watermelon guns I used to play with. They were almost as much fun as the sprem guns.

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I always wondered how those huge watermelons fit through such a small muzzle on those SL watermelon guns I used to play with. They were almost as much fun as the sprem guns.

oh, which one do you use? we should meet for a watermellon fight one day...

I have the [s2] watermelon attack... 

7 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Just about anything can be used as a projectile in SL. No matter the size, it'll fit through the barrel of a gun.

I miss my couch gun :/ but don't have my own region anymore and binned it .. didn't trust myself not to use it randomly and get banned for grif.

60CPSS (60 couches per second each shooting their own couches) all from a freebie gun I was given at help island on my very first login.

• Like 1

SL's biggest strength is it's highly customizable avatar system.  As much as i like SL, if a new virtual world came out that rivaled SL's avatar customization, i would ditch it in a heartbeat because it's so outdated and wonky these days.  I've tried most of the newer alternatives in the past, such as VSide, Kaneva, NuVera, Twinity, Sinespace, and so on, but most of them had terrible customization options or the lack of creators willing to move from SL.  The only one that comes close is IMVU, but i don't like instanced chat rooms and prefer the open world of SL (not only that but you need a subscription to use their creator program!).

The newer Virtual Reality programs, such as Sansar and High Fidelity, could have been great alternatives, but they focus on VR and not so much on avatar customization, which is a shame, because avatar identity is the most important aspect of virtual worlds, or any online presence in general.

Edited by Nextio
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 1:54 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

I miss my couch gun :/ but don't have my own region anymore and binned it .. didn't trust myself not to use it randomly and get banned for grif.

60CPSS (60 couches per second each shooting their own couches) all from a freebie gun I was given at help island on my very first login.

I have a screenshot from a time I used my sofa gun, shot a few sofas out and had some people walk over and sit down with me on someone elses parcel.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.