arabellajones

What is "Dullahan"?

I've had some odd experiences with streaming media, and I am wondering just where this Dullahan thing comes from. It seems to be a web engine, handling all the various connections that the viewer uses, but while every web browser I have installed can still handle Flash videos, Dullahan can't. The usual solution recommended is to install pepperflash, which is the library used by Google Chrome, so I installed it. (That was a bit of a carry-on, many sites describe it as "deprecated") Things work on Opera, Firefox, and Chromium, but Flash doesn't work with the Dullahan system

I found that test game on the home page used by the viewer's internal web browser.  It works with the external browsers, not through Dullahan.

There seem to be two possible libraries to use. Adobe Flash, which is on the way out, only getting security updates now, and pepperflash which is provided by Google, but only supports one of the two possible APIs. I have tried both libraries. They have worked with the three browser I have. Neither have worked. with Dullahan.

OK, so Flash End-of-Life will come at the end of 2020, and that may be reason enough for the Dullahan developers, whoever they are, not to bother with this problem. But there are video sites which still use Flash. And if Dullahan can't detect a library that other web software can use, who should I be prodding? If it's not handling a library properly, what else might break? What's breaking the connection; Dullahan or the library?

I have a horrible suspicion that Dullahan is something provided for TPVs by Linden Lab, but where do they get it from?

Dullahan is a headless browser SDK that uses the Chromium Embedded Framework.
https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/dullahan/src
It's named after the headless rider: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dullahan

You should be able to play Flash media in the viewer as long as you have the correct flash plugin installed for your operating system: https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/downloads#additional_downloads_to_enhance_user_experience
Flash media is technically not supported though, if it works, it works, if it doesn't then it probably won't get fixed.

Certain media types cannot be played with Dullahan because of licensing issues: https://www.firestormviewer.org/why-is-my-tv-not-working/

31 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

I have a horrible suspicion that Dullahan is something provided for TPVs by Linden Lab, but where do they get it from? 

The LL viewer also uses Dullahan. So does Sansar.
Source code: https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/dullahan/src

if you find media that will not play with Dullahan that you think should play, then you should file a JIRA issue.
It's probably not worth bothering to file a LL JIRA for broken flash media (it needs to die in hell anyway) or media problems on Linux.
If you have media problems on Firestorm in Linux, you can file a Firestorm JIRA issue.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

You should be able to play Flash media in the viewer as long as you have the correct flash plugin installed for your operating system:

As I said, Flash videos work under Opera, Firefox, and Chrome on this machine. But not with any viewer using Dullahan.

Ok... Because I had such a slow computer and wanted SL to be faster... I started taking out files in the Firestorm Viewer, just to see what would happen and if some files really mattered. And what I found out was that if I removed the  "dullahan_host" and "dullahan_host.exe.manifest" files, I got a boost of around 15-20 fps! Now, even with my new fast computer, I always take those 2 out, and get a FPS boost. I don't watch media from the Web while I'm in SL, so I really don't need them. So, if you want the FS Viewer to run faster (FPS) take "dullahan_host" and "dullahan_host.exe.manifest" out. ( You can always just move them back in if you want and restart the Viewer.)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/4/2019 at 10:46 PM, Danraka said:

Ok... Because I had such a slow computer and wanted SL to be faster... I started taking out files in the Firestorm Viewer, just to see what would happen and if some files really mattered. And what I found out was that if I removed the  "dullahan_host" and "dullahan_host.exe.manifest" files, I got a boost of around 15-20 fps! Now, even with my new fast computer, I always take those 2 out, and get a FPS boost. I don't watch media from the Web while I'm in SL, so I really don't need them. So, if you want the FS Viewer to run faster (FPS) take "dullahan_host" and "dullahan_host.exe.manifest" out. ( You can always just move them back in if you want and restart the Viewer.)

That's …. very interesting.  If others can reproduce this behavior, a bug report detailing the reproduction should be very interesting to viewer developers.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:46 PM, Danraka said:

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

That's …. very interesting.  If others can reproduce this behavior, a bug report detailing the reproduction should be very interesting to viewer developers.

Perhaps it works on very slow computers, though I would not recommend anyone do this unless it is a last resort. I tried it and saw no difference in performance at all. What I did see is that in-viewer Destinations and other parts literally stopped working (showing a blank box, etc.). These deficits could be too jarring, I believe, for most people. My recommendation would be to move, not delete, the file to a temporary folder so you can move it back and even then, only as an absolutely last resort (First resort should be to adjust your graphics settings *downward*.)

I suggest to simply rename the files (add an x for example) and then rename back.

When testing this I didn't see any difference. Didn't see any side effects too so it seems I don't use affected things. :)

It may work for older hardware or craptops though but everybody can test that for their system.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:46 PM, Danraka said:

If you're going to suggest people start ripping the viewer apart and removing random bits to improve whatever, please be sure to cover everything those random bits do. Watching "TV" in SL is but one of the services the dullahan plugin provides. 

Websearch is broken. 

1039305881_ForumDullahanwebsearch.png.c04193600807162f43f8ae0318e06623.png

I come across a profile with a link to their Marketplace store, and I decide to take a peek. My built-in browser is broken. 

1733401159_ForumDullahanbuiltinbrowser.png.a2b66cda47da0a0f00275559e31fe4de.png

Splash screen when the viewer is launched is gone. The splash screen provides access to lots of useful and relevant information. 

Web profiles (and some viewer skins and modes do) won't load. 

Media based HUDs won't work. 

Avatar Menu - Choose an Avatar won't load. 

Destination Guide won't load. 

Wiki help pages (when clicking the ? in a floater) won't load. 

Potential for unexpected viewer crashes due to missing files. 

Hmmm did I forget anything? 

Random reader follows your advice. Does random reader make the connection? 

• Like 1