What is "Dullahan"?

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had some odd experiences with streaming media, and I am wondering just where this Dullahan thing comes from. It seems to be a web engine, handling all the various connections that the viewer uses, but while every web browser I have installed can still handle Flash videos, Dullahan can't. The usual solution recommended is to install pepperflash, which is the library used by Google Chrome, so I installed it. (That was a bit of a carry-on, many sites describe it as "deprecated") Things work on Opera, Firefox, and Chromium, but Flash doesn't work with the Dullahan system

I found that test game on the home page used by the viewer's internal web browser.  It works with the external browsers, not through Dullahan.

There seem to be two possible libraries to use. Adobe Flash, which is on the way out, only getting security updates now, and pepperflash which is provided by Google, but only supports one of the two possible APIs. I have tried both libraries. They have worked with the three browser I have. Neither have worked. with Dullahan.

OK, so Flash End-of-Life will come at the end of 2020, and that may be reason enough for the Dullahan developers, whoever they are, not to bother with this problem. But there are video sites which still use Flash. And if Dullahan can't detect a library that other web software can use, who should I be prodding? If it's not handling a library properly, what else might break? What's breaking the connection; Dullahan or the library?

I have a horrible suspicion that Dullahan is something provided for TPVs by Linden Lab, but where do they get it from?

• Like 1

Dullahan is a headless browser SDK that uses the Chromium Embedded Framework.
https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/dullahan/src
It's named after the headless rider: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dullahan

You should be able to play Flash media in the viewer as long as you have the correct flash plugin installed for your operating system: https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/downloads#additional_downloads_to_enhance_user_experience
Flash media is technically not supported though, if it works, it works, if it doesn't then it probably won't get fixed.

Certain media types cannot be played with Dullahan because of licensing issues: https://www.firestormviewer.org/why-is-my-tv-not-working/

31 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

I have a horrible suspicion that Dullahan is something provided for TPVs by Linden Lab, but where do they get it from? 

The LL viewer also uses Dullahan. So does Sansar.
Source code: https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/dullahan/src

if you find media that will not play with Dullahan that you think should play, then you should file a JIRA issue.
It's probably not worth bothering to file a LL JIRA for broken flash media (it needs to die in hell anyway) or media problems on Linux.
If you have media problems on Firestorm in Linux, you can file a Firestorm JIRA issue.

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

You should be able to play Flash media in the viewer as long as you have the correct flash plugin installed for your operating system:

As I said, Flash videos work under Opera, Firefox, and Chrome on this machine. But not with any viewer using Dullahan.

• 6 months later...

Ok... Because I had such a slow computer and wanted SL to be faster... I started taking out files in the Firestorm Viewer, just to see what would happen and if some files really mattered. And what I found out was that if I removed the  "dullahan_host" and "dullahan_host.exe.manifest" files, I got a boost of around 15-20 fps! Now, even with my new fast computer, I always take those 2 out, and get a FPS boost. I don't watch media from the Web while I'm in SL, so I really don't need them. So, if you want the FS Viewer to run faster (FPS) take "dullahan_host" and "dullahan_host.exe.manifest" out. ( You can always just move them back in if you want and restart the Viewer.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/4/2019 at 10:46 PM, Danraka said:

Ok... Because I had such a slow computer and wanted SL to be faster... I started taking out files in the Firestorm Viewer, just to see what would happen and if some files really mattered. And what I found out was that if I removed the  "dullahan_host" and "dullahan_host.exe.manifest" files, I got a boost of around 15-20 fps! Now, even with my new fast computer, I always take those 2 out, and get a FPS boost. I don't watch media from the Web while I'm in SL, so I really don't need them. So, if you want the FS Viewer to run faster (FPS) take "dullahan_host" and "dullahan_host.exe.manifest" out. ( You can always just move them back in if you want and restart the Viewer.)

That's …. very interesting.  If others can reproduce this behavior, a bug report detailing the reproduction should be very interesting to viewer developers.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:46 PM, Danraka said:

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

That's …. very interesting.  If others can reproduce this behavior, a bug report detailing the reproduction should be very interesting to viewer developers.

Perhaps it works on very slow computers, though I would not recommend anyone do this unless it is a last resort. I tried it and saw no difference in performance at all. What I did see is that in-viewer Destinations and other parts literally stopped working (showing a blank box, etc.). These deficits could be too jarring, I believe, for most people. My recommendation would be to move, not delete, the file to a temporary folder so you can move it back and even then, only as an absolutely last resort (First resort should be to adjust your graphics settings *downward*.)

• Thanks 1

I suggest to simply rename the files (add an x for example) and then rename back.

When testing this I didn't see any difference. Didn't see any side effects too so it seems I don't use affected things. :)

It may work for older hardware or craptops though but everybody can test that for their system.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:46 PM, Danraka said:

If you're going to suggest people start ripping the viewer apart and removing random bits to improve whatever, please be sure to cover everything those random bits do. Watching "TV" in SL is but one of the services the dullahan plugin provides. 

Websearch is broken. 

1039305881_ForumDullahanwebsearch.png.c04193600807162f43f8ae0318e06623.png

I come across a profile with a link to their Marketplace store, and I decide to take a peek. My built-in browser is broken. 

1733401159_ForumDullahanbuiltinbrowser.png.a2b66cda47da0a0f00275559e31fe4de.png

Splash screen when the viewer is launched is gone. The splash screen provides access to lots of useful and relevant information. 

Web profiles (and some viewer skins and modes do) won't load. 

Media based HUDs won't work. 

Avatar Menu - Choose an Avatar won't load. 

Destination Guide won't load. 

Wiki help pages (when clicking the ? in a floater) won't load. 

Potential for unexpected viewer crashes due to missing files. 

Hmmm did I forget anything? 

Random reader follows your advice. Does random reader make the connection? 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone will see this post since this thread's been quiet for over a week but every now when  and then when inworld I get a box popping up telling me that "Dullahan_Host.exe has stopped working".  My choices are to "find out more" on the web or to stop the application.  I usually close and ignore the message since I have "whitelisted" this .exe on my AV along with all the others used in Firestorm (I have the FS folder and the cache folder also whitelisted) as suggested on the FS wiki.

So what causes this failure?  Moreover I have to say I have not noticed ANYTHING not working after this message be it my in world browser, search or any media sources, so I'm a bit baffled as to what this .exe failure actually means!

Can anyone enlighten me?

It just means Dullahan_Host.exe  has crashed.
As for cause, impossible to say with doing some investigation & looking at your viewer logs.
If this just happens occasionally then I wouldn't worry about it. Another Dullahan_Host.exe  will just spawn when needed anyway.

Causes could be:
Running Windows Vista  (hopefully not!  lol).
Certain inworld media is causing Dullahan to crash - worth a bug report if you find a specific media URL that often crashes Dullahan.
Being in a location with a stupidly high amount of media on a prim sources.
Antivirus or something else being all "helpful" & doing a scan on Dullahan files.
Following the terrible advice from certain TV creators (I know who you are :P) & you installed their "patch" to "fix" broken media on their TV sets. (Don't do it kids!).
Aliens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow thank you.  Removing these definitely gave a bump in FPS on my 2013 MacBook Pro with Nvidia 750m 2gb graphics.  I gained about 15-20fps so this definitely needs to be looked at by someone.  My SL experience on this machine was becoming quite marginal but this made a great improvement.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:56 AM, sunshine Juneberry said:

Dullahan_Host.exe has stopped working is happening like like 50 times a day.
I added it to my AV whitelist but it still just constantly pops up.
Where can i find my viewer logs?

In the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Second Life (Viewer name if using a TPV).
Click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

• 4 weeks later...

My OS is Windows 10. I just installed and started using Firestorm 6.3.2.38052 today. It seems to be a giant turd. I have been having errors with the Dullahan_Host.exe. It doesn't just stop working form me - it completely shuts down the viewer. I've followed suggestions here. First I renamed the two Dullahan files that I found in the directory, by adding an "x" at the start of the file name, then taking that "x" out and adding it at the end of the file name. That stopped me from getting the error, but the viewer still shut down - it just didn't tell me why. So I then followed the other suggestion in this string and removed the same files. The browser still shuts down. I have never had this problem with previous versions of Firestorm. 

I would go back to the previous Firestorm viewer version, but how long before they ban it from entry in world?

It seems my choices are to use another viewer - which I really don't want to do, to stay away from SL, which I really don't want to do, or to wait for four things to happen at once: 1) Full planetary alignment, combined with 2) the arrival of benevolent grey aliens to help solve world issues, 3) a minor miracle, and 4) me doing a few hundred "Hail Marys." Then, just maybe, it will work. 

Are these Dullahan files here to stay, or can something that actually works be substituted?  Despite my sarcasm above, any legit answers are truly appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow. Removing Dullahan did wonders on my computer!

I came across this because I thought it was weird that Second Life was so much slower on my new laptop, even though both the embedded graphics card was better than the old one and it even had a discrete one as well. But now after taking the dullahan stuff away SL runs pretty smooth even with high settings.

The reason I searched was that Dullahan was taking up 60-70% of the GPU, and I had no idea what it was. I still don't know but I can plainly see that SL works better without it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY! Second life has been running like absolute poop for a few months now it's felt like and deleting those two files have actually made the game easier to play.. i thought it was a slow connection but even with getting a brand new router recently it still loaded EXTREMELY slow.. those two files are the devil! lol.. glad i found this post!

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

When I enable media in Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205) May 27 2020 01:20:51 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support

this version of firestorm has Chromium: 72.0.3626.121

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)

firestorm is a few years out of date

the dullahan_host.exe crashes a thousand times an hour

i compared with official viewer

Second Life Release 6.4.4.543157 (64bit)

chromium-81.0.4044.138

is firestorm abandonware?

why has it been so many years since firestorm was last updated

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chromium+72+release+date&ia=web

https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar

discontinued 2019-01-29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_version_history

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, iceing Braveheart said:

When I enable media in Firestorm 6.3.9 (58205) May 27 2020 01:20:51 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support

this version of firestorm has Chromium: 72.0.3626.121

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)

firestorm is a few years out of date

the dullahan_host.exe crashes a thousand times an hour

i compared with official viewer

Second Life Release 6.4.4.543157 (64bit)

chromium-81.0.4044.138

is firestorm abandonware?

why has it been so many years since firestorm was last updated

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chromium+72+release+date&ia=web

https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar

discontinued 2019-01-29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_version_history

Firestorm Viewer 6.3.9.58205 is merged up to LL’s 6.3.8 release viewer. Before asking about "abandonware", please check how many releases LL has made since Firestorm's last release, including the CEF 2020 Update. I could tell you, but where's the fun in that? Firestorm will always be behind LL's current release. That's SLife. 

• Like 3

it says this was last updated months ago

https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/dullahan/src/master/

is it possible to update the firestorm viewer my self by copy and pasting the file system from official viewer over to firestorm without developer tools?

so far i have replaced

firestorm character folder with official

firestorm llplugin folder with official

this folder looks safe as well $PLUGINSDIR but doesn't look like it was ever changed modified or updated?

i replaced all the main items in the main folder for firestorm with officials only two files had to be kept to keep viewer running growl.dll and growl++.dll

i cannot tell if dullhana chromium was updated because the viewer seems static cannot detect changes? in the app_settings folder there is text document file packages-info which contains the static information in about firestorm in help section for the chromium version?

• Haha 1

first i download and install 7 zip

https://www.7-zip.org/

then i download each viewers exe

https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

and firestorm from where ever ^_^

then right click the exe file for each viewer and select 7 zip then extract files click ok with the firestorm viewer exe there will be errors because firestorm wants to keep installing the same file over and over again until your pc dies so click no to all. after extracting both exe's you will have folders of each viewer open Phoenix-Firestorm-Releasex64-6-3-9-58205_Setup folder and pin the Firestorm-Releasex64 exe to start menu you can run the viewers like this the viewers just cannot auto update like this because they are not portable software why is that? replace $PLUGINSDIR folder and character folder and llplugin with official folders of same names in the Phoenix-Firestorm-Releasex64-6-3-9-58205_Setup folder then

to keep viewer running you only really need to retain folders and certain items much can be hot swapped from official viewer for quicky updates

$PLUGINSDIR folder. update able 

app_settings folder this folder likely contains firestorms custom settings

character folder. update able 

fonts folder

fs_resources folder

llplugin folder. update able 

skins folder

the rest of the items you need to keep

featuretable text document likely firestorms custom settings

Firestorm-Releasex64 exe

growl.dll

growl++.dll

uninst exe this is irrelevant as you wont have the viewer installed 

win_crash_logger exe i probably deleted this 

the rest of the files should be interchangeable and hot swap able from the official viewer the file systems can change with updates but i kinda doubt that it would be to drastic with a little practice anyone should be able to do it. if you make a mistake you can just unzip the viewers exe again for another fresh batch of all the files like a redelivery terminal in sl or redownload the exe and unzip again. after i updated mine the official profile page in profiles actually works and loads now so i could tinker with it while flying my 737 in sl the viewer search web browser works allot better as well

everything is free and open source how do the viewer creators feel about making hybrid viewers out of there own viewers to get sufficient critical updates?

all links and information is provided as is without warranty liability or support

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Willow Wilder said:

Why not offer support? I mean where else would people turn to if they were seeking support for their Firestorm viewer. 

Oh, wait. 

Especially after following that one's "instructions" and either breaking their viewer entirely or discovering that all they've done is converted it to be a different viewer ... At best.

If you break it, you get to keep the pieces.  Just don’t go redistributing them as some components have licensing issues with that and there is a slight chance somebody might say something ugly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.