Stopping necro-posting

Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

56 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I don't understand why people are opposed to necroposting.

I don't care why people are opposed to necroposting. LOL 

If I run across content or want to throw input into a particular subject, I will actually do a forums search to find the right thread to plop it into, even if that thread is five years old; I couldn't care less about the thread date. Just to avoid creating *another* ~rolls eyes~ new thread on an existing subject. I only create a new thread if I am sure my subject is (relatively) original or fresh.

The "down with necro-posts" people are a kin to "Down with Guns" and "Down with religion" and "down with offending me in any way, shape, or form" types. //satire for the snowflakes who don't get it and points to her forum title.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I will necropost if there's a funny, interesting or informative topic that has already had a thread made as opposed to junking up the forums with more new threads about the same thing. Is that wrong? I don't understand why people are opposed to necroposting.

I'm glad you asked this; it needed asking I think.

Even old information is still relevant, it's called history. How something was originally done to how something isn't done anymore. Some people like to know the history of something or even the history of a information chain where there are different degrees of input to which can sum up the overall user ability factor of that function regardless if it's still active or not.
Personally, if I am searching for a particular answer to a question, regardless if it's two to five years old, I still am interested in reading that thread. Because it can and it has provided me with answers of either using the right name for what I'm looking for or trying to do. Old threads are springboards of information that despite being 'dead' still provide  even limit amount of information to whomever seeks such on the relevant topic. Some people would find it useful. Others would not. This is called individualized perception.

Regarding posting to these 'dead threads' I do not personally, see a problem with this. If information is relevant to that thread then yes it makes sense to post it. Adding new to the old, where it's in a more suitable place than another thread where someone asks a question regarding that topic within the last year to have no replies to their question of: 'I have a computer and I use it to log on to Second Life. How do I make money to pay for my computer?' (or some such) And if there are replies to that thread then it will most often be people linking a previous thread on the matter that was dated from 2003. (It's early and the coffee hasn't sunk in yet).
Anyway, if the issue here is necro posting clutters up the forum, then isn't posting about necro posting doing the same thing? Maybe a year to two years from now, someone will make another thread regarding this same topic. Making the whole 'anti necro posting' a reincarnated annoyance, one of the things that is being complained about by some.

Locking down threads to prevent further comments on 'dead threads', LL has many times locked threads not to receive any further comments on threads that has caused more than a usual fair of forum drama. Or locking down threads with an explanation of 'Hey, thanks for your input! This thread is now closed!' So, if LL wanted to ultra police the entire forum that way,  they would not  have the time to work on the proper things for us... like the promise of giving us the ability to change last names.... whenever that 'later in the year' shall come. ;)

There are a lot of actual general user in-world features that could be worked on/fixed/implemented that would benefit the whole instead of the few. Personally, the former is far more appealing to me than the latter. This 'stop the necro posting' is surely not one of them.

Edited by Asadora Summers
added a word ... then go back and delete to re write the sentence

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 3:21 PM, Asadora Summers said:

Locking down threads to prevent further comments on 'dead threads', LL has many times locked threads not to receive any further comments on threads that has caused more than a usual fair of forum drama. Or locking down threads with an explanation of 'Hey, thanks for your input! This thread is now closed!' So, if LL wanted to ultra police the entire forum that way,  they would not  have the time to work on the proper things for us... like the promise of giving us the ability to change last names.... whenever that 'later in the year' shall come. ;)

lol - re ultra policing the forum. About three months ago I crafted a wonderful post with pics and gif clips  of our group tour of the old lands culminating in an impromptu disco in the Queens Head in Belli. It took an hour to collate. It was deleted and I was banned for a day too. I called it 'Boozy Bellisseria' and that caused great offence apparently. I've rarely bothered posting since.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, rasterscan said:

lol - re ultra policing the forum. About three months ago I crafted a wonderful post with pics and gif clips  of our group tour of the old lands culminating in an impromptu disco in the Queens Head in Belli. It took an hour to collate. It was deleted and I was banned for a day too. I called it 'Boozy Bellisseria' and that caused great offence apparently. I've rarely bothered posting since.

Been there too, I just post..less now.

2 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Yes, lots of people take offense when there is no reason to. These are the greater-than-thou types and the amazingly-sensitive types. My favorite is when someone makes a general comment about general things, for example"There be snowflakes in these here forums" and bam. I now expect to get a three day suspension for this very comment because someone is going to take the snowflake comment personally, which only makes my point as they out themselves. But that's okay, it's what alts are for.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rasterscan said:

I am totally sorry that I missed that.  

If it is any consolation, I started a Belli thread that didn't sit well with one or more someones and it also got pulled and I got a 24-hour timeout for it.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
typo
  • Sad 1

On 9/9/2019 at 3:37 AM, rasterscan said:

As you can see, you aren't alone. I really have a strong distaste for walking on eggshells. Seems there is no such thing as a forum that ever does achieve true "middle ground" in moderating. It's always to an extreme. So we either have to bite the bullet or not post. The special snowflakes aren't going to shut me up though so they may as well add me to their block list and be done with it.

• Like 1

Who the heck came up with the "necro" description for posts or threads, anyway> Every time I see the word necro, the word philia pops into my head. Seriously, whomever came up with that word to describe dead threads is twisted. Because dead means dead and threads are never dead, maybe old, but not dead until locked.

13 hours ago, Ansiri said:

cheer for the necro posting!

I'm not sure I'd cheer, but I concur. The naggers and whiners can nag and whine all day as though their opinion outweighs anyone else ("Do as I say or you're a nitwit"). They are amazingly conceited greater-than-thou types who are self-important whose opinions matter 95% more to themselves than anyone else and by scolding anyone for reviving a post, they show their colors and call themselves out. LOL To the sewer with them.

SNOWFLAKE DISCLAIMER CAUTION AND NOTICE: This posted comment is done so in jest and for entertainment purposes only. It, furthermore, is strictly an opinion that may heavily carry truth--in-humor and is not directed at any one or specific person. If the shoe fits then wear it, but please do so in the closet so as not to embarrass yourself in public.

33 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i think the first time it was interneted descriptively was in 2004 by somebody who goes by the nick Blah-tan.  https://knowyourmeme.com/users/blah-tan

entry here: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/necro-posting#fn1

I still can't see why they choose the word "Necro" - and if it's a meme then I feel it makes sense why the other word pops into my head, possibly an intended effect because meme. LOL

On 9/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, Alyona Su said:

I still can't see why they choose the word "Necro" - and if it's a meme then I feel it makes sense why the other word pops into my head, possibly an intended effect because meme. LOL

It comes from Necromancy - the art of raising the dead.

Necromancer-Mistakenly-Attends-Necrophil

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

It comes from Necromancy - the art of raising the dead.

Okay, that makes sense. Though Necro is only part of (many) words - and though necromancy may be (very loosely) related, it's hardly intuitive. Philia would make sense as well (as a choice by the meme creator) as it's kind of the same thing in a way, right? That being... umm... "playing" with something dead? LOL I know, I know - I apologize for creating any awkward mental images. I'll stop now before I dig this hole deeper!

On 3/9/2019 at 8:07 PM, Matty Luminos said:

It is getting a bit ridiculous, when a thread that's five years old gets bumped up. How about automatically locking all posts that haven't had a response within a certain time, say 6 or 12 months. 

It wouldn't affect long-running but active threads, if it only counts time since the last post.

Teaching forumites to browse only using “most recent” button would help.

23 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:
On 9/16/2019 at 6:20 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Teaching forumites to browse only using “most recent” button would help.

There are still all those who come here via Google and mistakenly reply to old threads.

I use the "Unread" button all the time. Then I see new posts into so-called "necro" thread, I may reply if I wanna contribute to the resuscitation. Because the thread is no longer "necro'd"; it's alive again. It's basically a battle between those who are annoyed and contribute to the resuscitation by commenting in the same thread that annoyed them, helping to keep it alive, and those like me who really don't care how old a thread is and will add to it if the newer stuff is relevant or to annoy those who were annoyed and oxymoron'd themselves by complaining about it *in that thread*. A.K.A.: HYPOCRITE. Hahaha

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.