Stopping necro-posting

Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Make a new topic and quote the old one without dragging the new one back up after 10 years..   a dead topic needs to stay dead.

Why? Because you say it's dead. Nope, if LL close it then I'll class it as dead otherwise it's still pretty much alive.

2 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

Why? Because you say it's dead. Nope, if LL close it then I'll class it as dead otherwise it's still pretty much alive.

as a forum administrator since 2002, I can say it's dead.  if you bump a thread or reply to it after 10 years of it sitting idle.  it's dead jim.   no valid reason at all to bring it back.   from my point of view I'm right.  LL dono aint even trying to back seat admin their own forum. but I'll stop replying and be a good forum user.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

I hear that, everyone's idea of dead is different, and often by huge margins.  I'm on the "start a new topic" team mostly, but the main reason for that is that I think that if you post a new, albeit relative, question on an existing thread that could be considered "hijacking the thread."  When it isn't, it still feels bad, (to me,) to expect people to read through the sometimes hundreds of previous posts within the thread.

Just now, Evangeline Ling said:

taps her chin while wondering when the "Stop necro-posting" thread will become something in the future that is necro posted on... hmmmmm

Right?  I was tempted to wait several years to reply to this but I'm honestly hoping this becomes the next, "Please ignore this" thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ananoelle said:

These days if you start a new thread when there is one already there, that is deemed as bad juju.

I suppose it is a cultural thing. Bad juju for you could be good karma for me or vice-versa.

• 2 weeks later...

Point blank: If you're not the primary Administrator for a forum or otherwise on their Administrative team then your opinion on posting to an older topic means nothing whatsoever beyond your personal preference.

The only "right" answer is how the Administraor/Administrative team decides to handle it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Point blank: If you're not the primary Administrator for a forum or otherwise on their Administrative team then your opinion on posting to an older topic means nothing whatsoever beyond your personal preference.

The only "right" answer is how the Administraor/Administrative team decides to handle it.

Does this count as a necro post?

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2019 at 11:41 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

from my point of view I'm right.

I think this should be the epitaph on your tombstone. 

On everybody's tombstone actually. It's so true! And so utterly pointless and meaningless that it is almost clever.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

On everybody's tombstone actually. It's so true! And so utterly pointless and meaningless that it is almost clever.

I'm just one of those admins that has been adminning to dang long lol,  I do really try to not back seat moderate. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 5:07 PM, Matty Luminos said:

It is getting a bit ridiculous, when a thread that's five years old gets bumped up. How about automatically locking all posts that haven't had a response within a certain time, say 6 or 12 months. 

It wouldn't affect long-running but active threads, if it only counts time since the last post.

How funny, a (technically) necro'd thread about necro'd threads is alive and kicking.

For my contribution, the other posts are moot, so I'll just jump right in:: if you are annoyed by necro'd threads being revived then be annoyed. You cannot do anything about it because it is not against the Forum TOS or rules so deal with it and move on. I'm betting you can't even define the term "necro'd". I'll intentionally revivie a so-called "necro'd" thread if I feel my input is relevant and timely at the time I post it.

So sue me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is what is on my parents' tombstone:

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "HOLY SHEET! WHAT A RIDE!"

I'm not kidding. And that is exactly what they did. I'm still working on it.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

Well.. I'm just about to reply to sort of an old thread. It's about inventory management and I'm very thankful that it hasn't been locked. I don't see how creating a new thread about the same topic would be helpful. I mean.. if someone did a search, wouldn't it be better for that person to find all the relevant info in one thread rather than see 10 different threads about the same thing? Just saying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Well.. I'm just about to reply to sort of an old thread. It's about inventory management and I'm very thankful that it hasn't been locked. I don't see how creating a new thread about the same topic would be helpful. I mean.. if someone did a search, wouldn't it be better for that person to find all the relevant info in one thread rather than see 10 different threads about the same thing? Just saying.

59b00f0798aca_pinheadnecro2.jpg.c2eb73758dc93fd3c16f0c5d74403433.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

There could be 100 threads covering the same topic but you might not find them if they don't have any tags or if you don't know the right tags to use to find it through search.

• Like 2

If people would cease to perpetually bump this thread so that we can have it properly necro'd so that we can have our giggle, that'd be great!

2 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

At the very real risk of doing what this thread is about, what's the generally acceptable time that should accumulate before a thread is considered dead?

I don't think that it's a specific length of time, but rather a matter of relevance. If a person starts a thread to ask how to make a prim green in 2012, and a person in 2020 bumps the thread to point out that there's a 'better way' than the 'usual' through using a texture UUID, it's probably irrelevant to the OP (if they're even still around). If there's a discussion in a thread that ended several months or years ago, and someone tries to bring a fresh perspective to the stagnant thread, it might be necro-posting, but it might also blow new life into the thread and start a topical discussion anew - it happens quite frequently, even after someone points out that the thread is dead. I think that a lot of people (myself included) just think it's fun to post a necro-post meme when someone replies to a thread and obviously has no clue that it's been quiet for years, joining the discussion as if it was still ongoing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Orwar said:

If people would cease to perpetually bump this thread so that we can have it properly necro'd so that we can have our giggle, that'd be great!

Noooo! Acuz bumpin' necro'd thredz iz moar funz!

I absolutely love to have a good hearty chuckle every time someone complains about a so-called "necro'd" thread being revived. Dun likit? Den dun reedit.

I don't think that it's a specific length of time, but rather a matter of relevance.

I DO concur with this, though. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 2

I find it interesting really as it is often a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I often see people getting railed on just for asking a question because the people that regularly frequent the forums have seen the same question asked and answered multiple times. So then if someone goes seeking the older info and then does pick it up, add to it etc, they get railed on for necro posting ( I just caught myself saying in my head necro like neko,  neeeeeeeeecro posting). I think that many write in forums the same way they do in social media or even in world groups, they are not going to look for previous discussions, they want an answer to their question in their way at that time, and I don't think there is that much wrong with that, other than a very full forum...it might be time to spend some time on explaining and detailing better where things should go, what category you will find things in etc. I wanted to post something the other day and for the life of me I still have no clue if it would be allowed and where I would put it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, RaeLeeH said:

At the very real risk of doing what this thread is about, what's the generally acceptable time that should accumulate before a thread is considered dead?

only one way to find out 😇

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Newbies using the search field are going to find an old thread and add to it because it seems the right thing to do. With the advance of knowledge, what might have been an unsolvable problem three years ago may well be workable with new knowledge.  A forum is a living knowledge-base, and adding information to an old thread is simply an updating function.

Going back to my usenet days, a couple of groups I was on hammered away at newbies for not observing each and every protocol that the oldbies had set in stone, and guess what? After a year or so of newbie-bashing, the number of new posters dropped dramatically.

A bit of tolerance never hurt.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.