Stopping necro-posting

Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Might I humbly suggest that folks read the threads/posts they are responding to, check the dates, see if what has been discussed back then is this still relevant and in still in context, and if so a reply with an ancient quote might be applicable, if not make a new post...

Or just make make an easy flowchart for it ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

as a forum administrator of an xenforo forum, currently,  we have people bumping old topic's what we have found, that people doing this are causing issues with our database,  most posts they bump are coming from our state in 2002,  we've had several conversions since then and it's havok when it happens, so we have a rule, you bump it, you lock it and you get a warning,  repeated happenings get you a time out,  so that's how we handle it,   I've not seen a plugin for xenforo yet that auto locks a post after a certain time or point,  so knowing LL runs off of IPS, THEY might have a plugin that LL can install,  I'm not sure on it though.

3 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

... we've had several conversions since then and it's havok when it happens, so we have a rule, you bump it, you lock it and you get a warning,  repeated happenings get you a time out,  so that's how we handle it,  

That makes no sense at all. Why keep them open then?

Another forum I'm on automatically locks threads when they reach 1000 posts (it's much bigger and busier than this forum, and honestly, by the thousandth post, there really isn't ever anything new left to say, even if the flame wars have become magnificent). It also gives you a notice if you're about to post on a thread that's been inactive for a certain period of time (I think six months, but I'm not certain). It doesn't completely stop necro-posting, but it does help. 

3 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

gives you a notice if you're about to post on a thread that's been inactive for a certain period of time

That's something I can get behind. It really isn't necessary to lock all threads that haven't been posted in, in a while.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

On 3/11/2019 at 5:19 AM, Selene Gregoire said:

You're both too far out in left field.

I read what you said as meaning it was knowledge to you that LL does things differently that expected all the time.... 

TOPIC !

I posted on this the other week when all that was going on and I got caught up again the other day, Ethan was kind enough to suggest that my reply was helpful even if not timeline wise. So things will come up if people go searching what they want to know about, and feel it is the best reply or on par with rather than starting a new posting, because I am guessing (not really knowledgeable on all the ins and outs of forums all over the internet) that all have their own rules on that, such as if a thread already exists do not start another etc. 

I have been trying really hard to check, and only doing unread etc, but someone posted before me so I got caught up with it being current.

I also like the lock it down when its old enough, maybe there could be a way to re-open by vote but that seems like more tech than available too

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Locking threads, that got inactive and old would be the most beneficial thing ever for this forum.

That would lock anywhere between 75 and 90% of all threads in the forums. Depending on what the "old thread" age threshold is. And what exactly is that? 5 days? 5 Weeks? 5 Months?

People be-otch about "necro'd" threads. I laugh. I have even posted into one or two intentionally if the information I was able to provide was updated information that is both relevant and useful regarding the general subject of the thread.

If people posting into so-called "necro'd" threads annoy you, then you will forever be annoyed. (A general 'you', by the way). Just like people replying to threads created in the wrong forum with "You posted in the wrong forum" are amazingly annoying to me; I will be forever annoyed. Because calling them out for being the jerks that they are is something I am forced to stifle. LOL

The *polite* way to handle these things is pretty simple: If a thread is in the wrong forum then silently report that and a Mod will move it; if someone posts in a necro'd thread you cannot undo that post so skip it and move on, OR continue the *updated* discussion - because it's already revived and alive; replying with "it's a "necro'd thread and ye' shouln't 'ave posted 'ere" is a dumb response that does nothing to unpost the reviving post and only contributes to the revival, right?.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Just like people replying to threads created in the wrong forum with "You posted in the wrong forum" are amazingly annoying to me; I will be forever annoyed. Because calling them out for being the jerks that they are is something I am forced to stifle. LOL

Hey you posted this in the wrong topic! This is about forum necromancy...

But secretly, I fully agree with this. I would not mind if its: Hey, you better post this here and there were its supposed to be, but let me help you with you question with relevant info too

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We should post in this thread again, say in 3-5 years.

Added to Reminders list, thanks! :D

24 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Hey you posted this in the wrong topic! This is about forum necromancy...

But secretly, I fully agree with this. I would not mind if its: Hey, you better post this here and there were its supposed to be, but let me help you with you question with relevant info too

A concur - replying with "you did a no-no, full stop" is just being a complete and total jerk. BUT, doing that AND at least providing a useful response is, I believe, respectable. Even better if the user response comes before the scolding bit, like "Here's the answer to your question! And by the way, a better place to ask this would have been "forum name" rather than here. :)"

It's amazing how the simple rephrasing of the same message can conjure up an entirely different (and positive) emotion in the reader.

AAAnnndddd... the same with Necro'd threads. THERE, on-topic! :P

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think automatic locking makes sense in the social forums, but not in the technical/creation forums.  A new comment to an old thread about scripting technique, for example, can be very useful.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

always best to make a new topic, than to bump an old dead topic.   even if you have a question or can answer it,  you can direct/link to the old topic or quote the post in it.

Why is this best? Just curious. I'm thinking to find the oldest thread possible is post "I agree" in it just to revive it again. because it's not against TOS.

• Like 3

I mean it's a constant struggle between us users.

Do we:

Look up an old thread for info, then necropost when we want clarification on said info because what is found is unclear?

OR

Make an entirely new thread, then get told to look up the old threads anyway?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Marth Coberts said:

I mean it's a constant struggle between us users.

Do we:

Look up an old thread for info, then necropost when we want clarification on said info because what is found is unclear?

OR

Make an entirely new thread, then get told to look up the old threads anyway?

It's only a struggle if you make it one. I say do either. People will be annoyed no matter what you do and their annoyance is their problem, not yours; you have zero obligation to pacify everyone and anyone. As long as it doesn't't break TOS or Forum rules, there's *nothing wrong with it*.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Why is this best? Just curious. I'm thinking to find the oldest thread possible is post "I agree" in it just to revive it again. because it's not against TOS.

Back in the day when forums were huge and the best source for everything, bumping an old dead topic was looked upon as rude and inconsiderate.     it's why making a new topic in my mind is the best choice and always will be.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Back in the day when forums were huge and the best source for everything, bumping an old dead topic was looked upon as rude and inconsiderate.     it's why making a new topic in my mind is the best choice and always will be.

..yet you keep replying here. 

A00A8748-E7FA-4571-B5D1-7A24673F2B29.jpeg

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

These days if you start a new thread when there is one already there, that is deemed as bad juju. 

What may be considered old and dead to you could be exactly the information someone else is looking for. 

2 hours ago, ananoelle said:

These days if you start a new thread when there is one already there, that is deemed as bad juju. 

What may be considered old and dead to you could be exactly the information someone else is looking for. 

Make a new topic and quote the old one without dragging the new one back up after 10 years..   a dead topic needs to stay dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.