Set SL Sun to follow RL Sun?

IanLeigh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

I can set the sky to different setting using the Sky tab, and a friend gave me this macro /*sky: Sky@1-2500:"NAME OF SKY SETTING" */  to add to my Land/General tab. But I would like to know if it would be possible to have the sun track with the RL sun?  I know SL hour is like .25 RL hour(?) but i'd like to log into my region at sunrise and see the sun rise.  

Thank you,

Ian

1162348689_AlwaysBetter.thumb.jpg.f205b518c7081f282ef6e93e1ebcbd99.jpg

You'll be able to do this soon with EEP - the Environmental Enhancement Project.
It's a new LL feature that revamps windight & supports 24hr day cycles, so you can sync your region or parcel environment/windlight with your RL time & sun position.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Environmental_Enhancement_Project

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/356-environmental-enhancement-project/

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 2

Right now I wouldn't call EEP much of an enhancement. It's more like a nightmare.

I can't stand to be in-world more than a few minutes without getting a headache. Everything is either blazing bright or way too dark. Subtle color tone variations are all washed out.

I reset everything to default but that was no help.  I support the idea of making environmental enhancements but this is worse than cartoonish.

Edited by Jaauuwn

• Lindens
On 3/9/2019 at 5:46 AM, IanLeigh said:

Hello, 

I can set the sky to different setting using the Sky tab, and a friend gave me this macro /*sky: Sky@1-2500:"NAME OF SKY SETTING" */  to add to my Land/General tab. But I would like to know if it would be possible to have the sun track with the RL sun?  I know SL hour is like .25 RL hour(?) but i'd like to log into my region at sunrise and see the sun rise.  

Thank you,

Ian

With EEP you can set your region's (or parcel's) day cycle to be 24 hours and then adjust the offset to match your timezone. Right now your region will need to be on either the Bluesteel or the LeTigra simulator RC channel to access these settings. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2019 at 12:46 AM, Jaauuwn said:

Right now I wouldn't call EEP much of an enhancement. It's more like a nightmare.

I can't stand to be in-world more than a few minutes without getting a headache. Everything is either blazing bright or way too dark. Subtle color tone variations are all washed out.

I reset everything to default but that was no help.  I support the idea of making environmental enhancements but this is worse than cartoonish.

SL sky is in a horrible state right now because EEP is half-implemented. Some of the servers have it. Some don't. Few of the viewers do. Bugs in EEP are holding off deployment. The viewer side isn't well enough defined yet for Firestorm to implement it. This is why we see black stars in the sky, the sun zipping across the sky, changes from day to night at region crossings, and general uglyness. LL claims they will fix this. Someday.

18 minutes ago, animats said:

SL sky is in a horrible state right now because EEP is half-implemented. Some of the servers have it. Some don't. Few of the viewers do. Bugs in EEP are holding off deployment. The viewer side isn't well enough defined yet for Firestorm to implement it. This is why we see black stars in the sky, the sun zipping across the sky, changes from day to night at region crossings, and general uglyness. LL claims they will fix this. Someday.

It's not bothering me at all. I will happily wait for all the kinks to get worked out. At least they are working on it and it will be way cool once it's done. Now SSP .. that I can't wait on but I must. :P 

55 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

It's not bothering me at all. I will happily wait for all the kinks to get worked out. At least they are working on it and it will be way cool once it's done. Now SSP .. that I can't wait on but I must. :P 

I was very enthused (mostly for LEA6 where I have many full sim levels) about EEP   ---- UNTIL I found out that folks had to opt in to the EXPERIENCE in order to see it.  Is that still the case?  I really hate that experience thing and typically just refuse so I can't really feel good about asking others to do that --- especially on a sim created for machinima and photography LOL.   

After that I just ignored it. I did manage to make a fairly good sky from scratch, but I will likely just be tweeking my old Windlight settings.   Much like the addition of "materials" (normal and specular) it seems to be a very hit and miss thing. 

Happy to have my mind changed :D. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I was very enthused (mostly for LEA6 where I have many full sim levels) about EEP   ---- UNTIL I found out that folks had to opt in to the EXPERIENCE in order to see it.  Is that still the case?  I really hate that experience thing and typically just refuse so I can't really feel good about asking others to do that --- especially on a sim created for machinima and photography LOL.   

You don't need to opt into an experience to see EEP environments & never did.
The region has to be EEP enabled & the user has to be using an EEP viewer, that's all.

• Like 1

I think the confusion has to do with scripted EEP, which does appear to require Experience permissions of the agent to whom llSetAgentEnvironment() applies (as well as llReplace-).

That's kind of annoying because, really, the landowner should be able to impose these settings on their visitors as long as they're on the land. The script, however, indeed should need to be compiled in an Experience enabled on that land.

The reason a landowner may want this is to be able to change visitors' Windlight Environments based on things much more specific than parcel location and general altitude. For example, it may depend on how a visitor interacts with content on the parcel, perhaps the sky darkening for just one visitor as a result of some action the visitor took. As I understand scripted EEP, that kinda stuff depends on the visitor granting Experience permissions. I wish it didn't.

Edited by Qie Niangao
add links for llSet- and -ReplaceAgentEnvironment() and remove reference to llGetEnvironment which isn't agent-specific and hence isn't Experience-dependent.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

You don't need to opt into an experience to see EEP environments & never did.
The region has to be EEP enabled & the user has to be using an EEP viewer, that's all.

OK. Thanks. There was "some official" comment on that right after it went over to the beta grid testing -- only a few days after they opened that up and had the project viewer available.  Not going to look it up but wouldn't have paid much attention if it hadn't come from someone official :D.     A whole lot has changed over the life of this project. Thanks for commenting.  Maybe I will ask on the official thread.   Or maybe the best plan is just to wait and see what happens when it goes gridwide. 

(Sly comment thought about but not typed LOL).    @Blush Bravin

EDIT: Thinking about EEP and those early days some more, the comments "may" have been about having four different setting on one sim (at levels) which is the only thing that I really cared about. Going back over to the thread I see lots of comments about opting into experiences if scripting was involved.   So that could have been what I am remembering.  Too long ago for me.  So I'll just wait until all the dust settles.  

Edited by Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.