Region is full (?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is a number of fairs going on now, the main being Skin Fair that covers two regions. Always fun to go to a fair.

When I attempted to TP into either region, I was told the region is full. Okay, I can understand that, It's early and there is plenty of time left before the fair ends. When I look at the map, it shows a capacity of 40 on each side of the fair. I come back later and at the moment the map reads 36 on each region. Once more I try to TP in and get the same response "Region is full". I look a few moments later and now its up to 38 on one side and 39 on the other. Still no TP "...full". I begin thinking WTF? I see openings and can't TP there? A few moments again pass and I see 36 again on each side. Still no TP'ing in.

Apologies for the long version but I have to ask, how accurate are these maps on region count and are they real time or is there a delay of some kind before they update? The fair runs through March so no real rush to get there. Just curious as to why if the map says a number under capacity (40), why one can't TP in.

!!fair.png

It takes time for the map to update and people using those tp huds (omg I tried one once, never again) probably affect the reports as the region tries to cope with the amount of attempts from so many people at once.  I guess  it is also possible the sim has been set to allow less than the expected 40 avi's to eg 35 + premium in order to help with lag. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Usually the top 5 or 10 spots are reserved for premium members..If you're not premium member,that could be why you aren't getting in if you see openings..

34 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

It takes time for the map to update and people using those tp huds (omg I tried one once, never again) probably affect the reports as the region tries to cope with the amount of attempts from so many people at once.  I guess  it is also possible the sim has been set to allow less than the expected 40 avi's to eg 35 + premium in order to help with lag. 

I thank you both for the answers. I was using a map TP hud to try to get in (don't have a direct LM) and finally gave up after about, ohhh...an hour. Some chatter in groups were asking the same question.

It runs for a few more weeks. I'll treat it like NOT going to a movie opening. Too many people at first. Wait a few days, the novelty will have died down a bit.

9 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I'll treat it like NOT going to a movie opening. Too many people at first. Wait a few days, the novelty will have died down a bit.

I treat all events like that.  If I don't get in on my first attempt at a time that suits me then I just carry on doing something more important.  Life's too short and shopping when it is quieter is a more pleasant experience for me at least.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Usually the top 5 or 10 spots are reserved for premium members..If you're not premium member,that could be why you aren't getting in if you see openings..

I've never heard of that before. Are you confusing it with the recently added premium perk of being able to get into full regions, which, as I understand it, adds to the region's capacity rather than reserve the last few spaces? Or have I missed something?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I've never heard of that before. Are you confusing it with the recently added premium perk of being able to get into full regions, which, as I understand it, adds to the region's capacity rather than reserve the last few spaces? Or have I missed something?

Well as long as sim is filled beyond basic capability only premium users can get in - there are no premium ghetto slots - premium users can go everywhere.

If sim is full is below basic capability everyone can enter, once that capacity is reached only premium users can enter, once premium capacity is full only sim owners can enter...

But both sim owners and premium users count towards capacity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

From what it say's in the knowledge base..Sim owners can control how many avatars can visit their region at the same time , anywhere from one to over one hundred.

From what I gather from how many people a region can hold..full region can hold 100,A Homestead can hold 20 and Open space can hold 10.. If people can't get in when it's 36 people already in there..Then it's more than likely a full region with the capacity set to a certain number..

I was teleporting there with no problem when 38 were in there..yet at 40 I got the region is full window and couldn't get in.

Had the same thing happen at the scandalize hunt awhile back..at 25 anyone could get in,but after that it was only premium.

Yes, a non-mainland sim owner can set the maximum number of avatars for the sim, but I don't think they can set a number of premium accounts to allow in. So they can't set nn avatars + n premium accounts, or nn avatars, the last n of which must be premium.

The recently added premium perk simply allows a few extra premium avatars into a sim above the preset maximum number. It doesn't reserve the last few slots of the maximum number for premium accounts. So a sim that's set to a maximum of 40 will allow 40 avatars of all kinds in, and then a few premium avatars on top.

That's my understanding, anyway. I'm open to being corrected if my understanding wrong.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

it's a fixed percentage of 10%.

Preferred access to highly populated regions

Regions in Second Life have a bonus capacity to allow region owners, estate managers, and Residents with Premium accounts to enter an otherwise full Region. The default limit on the number of avatars allowed in a region is as follows:

• Full Regions support an extra 10% (100 to 110)
  • Homesteads support an extra 25% (20 to 25)
  • Open Spaces support an extra 20% (10 to 12)

For full details on access to bonus region capacity, see Improved Region Capacity and Access on the Second Life Blog.

• Thanks 2

Ty, Ethan. That's what I thought.

So in the case of the full region being discussed, it would be 40 + 10% = 44. Which means, from the point of view of numbers, that the OP ought to have been able to get in when the region had 39 or less avatars in it.

Edited by Phil Deakins

• The default limit on the number of avatars in each region type is increased

• Full Regions by 10% (100 to 110)
    • Homesteads by 25% (20 to 25)
    • Open Spaces by 20% (10 to 12)

This new bonus capacity is, however, available for entry purposes only to Premium users - for Basic users the occupancy limits remain the same. For example, when a Full Region with a limit of 110 users has 105 users in it, Basic members will be unable to enter - they will see the region as full - but 5 more Premium users will still be able to enter.

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ty, Ethan. That's what I thought.

yes, and in detail when a owner sets a lower limit than the 100 possible :

This new bonus capacity is, however, available for entry purposes only to Premium users - for Basic users the occupancy limits remain the same. For example, when a Full Region with a limit of 110 users has 105 users in it, Basic members will be unable to enter - they will see the region as full - but 5 more Premium users will still be able to enter.

• The current (owner controlled) limit on each region will automatically be reserved for Premium entry by the same bonus %:
    • If the owner of a Full Region had reduced the default 100 avatar limit to 50, the same bonus percentage (+10%) is reserved for Premium entries, so 45 entries will be usable by Basic members, and 5 additional spaces will only be available to Premium members.

Once an avatar is in a region, whether they are Premium or not will not matter; they count the same as anyone else. It doesn't matter what the mix of Premium, Basic, or owner/managers in the region is: they all just each count as one occupant.

8 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Yes, a non-mainland sim owner can set the maximum number of avatars for the sim, but I don't think they can set a number of premium accounts to allow in. So they can't set nn avatars + n premium accounts.

The recently added premium perk simply allows a few extra premium avatars into a sim above the preset maximum number. It doesn't reserve the last few slots of the maximum number for premium accounts. So a sim that a maximum of 40 will allow 40 avatars of all kinds in, and then a few premium avatars on top.

That's my understanding, anyway. I'm open to be corrected if my understanding wrong.

They have a certain percentage that is for premium,full region is 10%.. So if they drop the capacity to less than the capacity the sim can really hold..the same percent stays..

So dropping the sim to say 50,would leave the extra slots at 5 for premium. making it 55

Aaaaah! That's very different. So, if the max isn't reduced, then it's the max plus 10% premiums. But if the max is reduced, then it's 90% of max everyone and 10% of max premiums.

Ceka was right then, but only when the default max has been reduced.

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

So dropping the sim to say 50,would leave the extra slots at 5 for premium. making it 55

Apparently not, Ceka. Dropping the sim to 50 would mean 45 for everyone and 5 (the 10%) for premiums.

Edited by Phil Deakins

no according to the example given on those blogs this isn't the case...

it is 50 in total /45 open slots and 5 reserved

The current (owner controlled) limit on each region will automatically be reserved for Premium entry by the same bonus %:

• If the owner of a Full Region had reduced the default 100 avatar limit to 50, the same bonus percentage (+10%) is reserved for Premium entries, so 45 entries will be usable by Basic members, and 5 additional spaces will only be available to Premium members.

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

Aaaaah! That's very different. So, if the max isn't reduced, then it's the max plus 10% premiums. But if the max is reduced, then it's 90% of max everyone and 10% of max premiums.

Ceka was right then, but only when the default max has been reduced.

I could have probably worded myself better in my first post.. I was just giving kind of a quick off the hip answer after just waking up..hehehehe

3 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

no according to the example given on those blogs this isn't the case...

it is 50 in total /45 open slots and 5 reserved

The current (owner controlled) limit on each region will automatically be reserved for Premium entry by the same bonus %:

Yet the capacity of a sim that is 100 gets 110 because of the 10% bonus..At 50 with 10% bonus doesn't get 55?

How are they giving the same bonus at 50 then if they are not letting 5 extra in?

That sounds strange.. hehehehe

Yet the capacity of a sim that is 100 gets 110 because of the 10% bonus..At 50 with 10% bonus doesn't get 55?

How are they giving the same bonus at 50 then if they are not letting 5 extra in?

That sounds strange.. hehehehe

The bonus is still there. This just lets the region owner decide how many avatars max to have in a region. Easier on the estate owner to come up with the max number rather than having to figure out how many max and then subtract the extra to come up with a number to set for maximum capacity.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Blush Bravin said:

The bonus is still there. This just lets the region owner decide how many avatars max to have in a region. Easier on the estate owner to come up with the max number rather than having to figure out how many max and then subtract the extra to come up with a number to set for maximum capacity.

Ahh,I see..Yea,that makes sense..

I was thinking it was from the set point rather than within the set point..I mean I gues they wouldn't even really need a bonus anyways if they are within capacity hehehe

Blush is right. At first glance, it seems a bit opposite to what one would expect, but it's the right way to do it. The owner sets the maximum and it really is the maximum. The default maximum hasn't been set by the owner, so LL assume they can allow an extra 10% in because the owner hasn't stated any preference, but when the owner has explicitly set the maximum, then it would be wrong of LL to allow more in, so the premium perk is done the other way, and the maximum really is the maximum.

Edited by Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.