Sign in to follow this  
Katrina Kungler

Working with mesh deformer for a tiny avatar and joint positions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone. I'm usually able to muddle through most things on my own and I think I already know the answer but I want to be completely sure so I don't have to do more work than needed. I created a tiny mesh avatar before all the new bento bones were released. I've been using this base deformer (which is a tiny polygon that you wear alongside the avatar mesh) for all my tiny avatars that I've created. What I'm wanting to do is make tiny bento hands for a particular avatar, but does that mean I have to entirely re-do my deformer with the new bento bones so that the shrunken fingers can be accounted for? Or can I technically have two deformers working simultaneously? I know you don't need all bones accounted for as there's now too many, so I've tried deleting a bunch of bones until I'm left with only the fingers, wrist, and elbow so that I don't have two deformers doing the same thing. However, this has the outcome of making the arms do some odd stretch armstrong things. I've tried shrinking only the hand parts so that those are the only joint positions changed (and hopefully the other joint positions are ignored on upload), but it still accounts for those joints in the upload, and stretches out my avatar, with the hands shrunken.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough. I'm assuming I just need to re-do the whole avatar deformer to have these new bento bones included, rather than having one specifically for the hands. Is that correct?

36 minutes ago, Katrina Kungler said:

Hey everyone. I'm usually able to muddle through most things on my own and I think I already know the answer but I want to be completely sure so I don't have to do more work than needed. I created a tiny mesh avatar before all the new bento bones were released. I've been using this base deformer (which is a tiny polygon that you wear alongside the avatar mesh) for all my tiny avatars that I've created. What I'm wanting to do is make tiny bento hands for a particular avatar, but does that mean I have to entirely re-do my deformer with the new bento bones so that the shrunken fingers can be accounted for? Or can I technically have two deformers working simultaneously? I know you don't need all bones accounted for as there's now too many, so I've tried deleting a bunch of bones until I'm left with only the fingers, wrist, and elbow so that I don't have two deformers doing the same thing. However, this has the outcome of making the arms do some odd stretch armstrong things. I've tried shrinking only the hand parts so that those are the only joint positions changed (and hopefully the other joint positions are ignored on upload), but it still accounts for those joints in the upload, and stretches out my avatar, with the hands shrunken.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough. I'm assuming I just need to re-do the whole avatar deformer to have these new bento bones included, rather than having one specifically for the hands. Is that correct?

I think you have to either redo your old deformer or match the defornations between fingers and root bone in your new add on deformer with your old one. Otherweise it will end up iwth two conflicting positioning data an last deformer added wins ... your bento finger deformer would thus actually undeform your avatar back.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:54 PM, Fionalein said:

I think you have to either redo your old deformer or match the defornations between fingers and root bone in your new add on deformer with your old one. Otherweise it will end up iwth two conflicting positioning data an last deformer added wins ... your bento finger deformer would thus actually undeform your avatar back.

Thanks for your answer and confirming my suspicions. Too bad I don't remember the exact size I shrunk the bones to and I don't think I can check because the scale was already applied. Guess I'll just have to get it as close as possible.

Edited by Katrina Kungler

1 minute ago, Katrina Kungler said:

Thanks for your answer and confirming my suspicions. Too bad I don't remember the exact size I shrunk the bones to and I don't think I can check because the scale was already applied. Guess I'll just have to get it as close as possible.

Maybe you can re-export your deformer object ... no idea how much information can be gained that way...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.