Do you treat non-human avatars differently than human avis?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1871 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I admit I do, but mainly as a passing remark about how unique their avatar is.

Example:

I see a Dinkie Cat avi.

I say, "Kitty!" in local chat/voice.

And then hopefully a conversation will strike because of my remark.

But that's all. I mostly treat non-human avis the same as human ones (unless they are vicious, of course....😉) In all seriousness, I do notice that non-humans seem to be friendlier than human avatars. But that's just me.

I have to agree with you on the friendliness thing. Thinking about it, I feel I do treat non-humans a little differently. I'm more likely to attempt to reach out in local chat to non-human avatars because I find they are much more likely to respond and strike up conversation. I also find i'm a bit more carefree and relaxed around non-human avatars.

Slight side-tangent: It seems like with human avatars, there's this weird air of competition almost, especially among female avatars. "Who wears this better?" "That person looks like a total noob!" "Where'd she get that? I need it." Few will outright talk about it, but I know a lot of people on grid think about it. I've seen the way non-mesh avatars get avoided in busy sims. I find with furries especially, few judge others avatars beyond "That's cool!" You see quite a few furries with clearly outdated avatars, but no one really talks down on it, or thinks anything of it, at least that i've noticed. In fact, the few times they do, in my experience it's often to help you update your look! It's interesting. No other communities beyond the furry or transformation communities have I seen people outright buy each other full avatars, or spend hundreds or thousands of lindens on a complete stranger, just to help them update their look. I'm not a furry myself, but I've gotten a few avatars over the years. A few of them were gifts, while others I bought just because I found them cute and I enjoy being part of their circles. 

I treat people here like people which in and of itself is kind of rare it would seem.

As a mostly Human avatar lately who spends a lot of time fully clothed and in G/M places to avoid the worst of it most days, I'm very seldom treated like a person by any avatar, as such I'm maybe more abrasive now than ever as when you're entirely objectified by all creeds of all ages your reactions leave much to be desired by those seeking them.

Many here simply have no regard for others, or their shape as it's "just a game" and they are here for themselves.

We're all here for ourselves, no one is forcing us, but how we treat each other governs how we're treated, avatars are just meshes and textures that maybe 75% of people can't see because of crushed LOD's, 32 metre/unit draw distance and all settings on the lowest of the low with only friends enabled in Firestorm.

Yes, I'm kinda jaded lol.

• Like 2

I treat all avatars pretty much the same as if they were like meeting someone off the street..

The first place I had in SL I had all my friends living with me,which had a wide variety of avatars..I didn't even know what a furrie was until my friend explained it to me..That was way before I even knew there was a whole bunch of them with communities not just in SL but lots of places..

They always seemed to be way ahead of the curve than I was on things like that..Before I met my first Neko,friends in our house were Nekos..

I knew my friends before I knew about second life,so they helped me see a wide perspective on things in sl pretty early on..

I never got into the whole human furrie or really other avatar differences..They all just are people underneath it all to me.

10 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

No, but I've noticed that when I go out as a non human the humans ignore me. I wonder if other non humans have noticed that too....

I've gone out and about as a non-human at times and get that same feeling. 

I think I react different, if the avatar is a realistic animal. I love animals and probably react more positive towards them, without intention. They are often so adoreable. I think I like to make that experiance of being an animal avatar myself.

• Like 1

I recently was contacted by two store owners for being a noodle in their store, apparently a store that sells steampunk outfits does bot get visited by dragons very often...

I personaly treat avatars mostly the same with one notable exception: ferals with mesh bits,... I learned to be careful around those and usually do not contact them first.

Second  life is a  place to do things you can't do  in RL, so a non human offers opportunities for that, that a human avi doesn't. The avi needs to look convincing however, often non human avis have a cartoonish look to them, and while   the person behind it may be sweet and we  may have some great chats, but they are no good for getting great pictures.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2019 at 1:10 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

...In all seriousness, I do notice that non-humans seem to be friendlier than human avatars. But that's just me.

Agree with you. The few I've come across have been amongst the friendliest, most polite and adorable of any avis I've met in SL. 

Do you treat non-human avatars differently than human avis?

Yes, of course I do - well, at least it depends on their species/form, and on my mood.

I usually treat others like they represent themselves inworld: So I treat humans like humans, animals like animals, objects like objects - you get the gist.

For instance: You might have a hard time getting spoken to by me at all if you represented yourself as a toaster or other inanimate object. And if you were some (realistic-looking) animal I would talk *about* you (for example: "Isn't this a beautiful animal? I wonder whom it belongs"). And if you spoke to me, I would say something like "Oh, this animal can speak!", or something like that before replying.

• Like 1

On the whole no - though I am more likely to complement a person for having a creative avatar, and that happens more often with non-human ones. So I guess I'm more likely to open a conversation with a non-human avatar but after that, I don't treat them any different.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1871 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.