What are some of your earliest memories from Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hahah - I just checked.  I do still have that dance.  I should probably clean out my Dances folder some day.  

Yes that is terrible.  Throw that thing out.  I mean who on earth would still have that dance in their invent 😊

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Yes that is terrible.  Throw that thing out.  I mean who on earth would still have that dance in their invent 😊

One of my favorite dances is probably as old as Caramel.  I have pictures of me dancing it back in 2007.  I still use it - it lets me prance across the floor and flounce, and basically remind everyone that it really is ALL ABOUT ME.  :D

1354b722b7d4f8ef66a5f6f00957444f.gif

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One of my favorite dances is probably as old as Caramel.  I have pictures of me dancing it back in 2007.  I still use it - it lets me prance across the floor and flounce, and basically remind everyone that it really is ALL ABOUT ME.  :D

1354b722b7d4f8ef66a5f6f00957444f.gif

peers suspiciously at the video....are you wearing flares?

43 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

peers suspiciously at the video....are you wearing flares?

40 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Hey flares were probably in fashion when she got that dance :D 

Not only were flares in fashion back then, but they are totally making a comeback.

Actually, these are only slightly flared - more of a small flair for wearing with boots - but they are also a bit bunched up at the bottom, so they sometimes look a bit more flared than they are.

image.png.389fb9989bbae691a57cd93604aca9fe.png    image.png.d67a4de41131d4cd70494f7240d1a0ff.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not only were flares in fashion back then, but they are totally making a comeback.

Actually, these are only slightly flared - more of a small flair for wearing with boots - but they are also a bit bunched up at the bottom, so they sometimes look a bit more flared than they are.

image.png.389fb9989bbae691a57cd93604aca9fe.png    image.png.d67a4de41131d4cd70494f7240d1a0ff.png

20 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Shush. flares are awesome. hurry up and bring them back.

I believe they were called Bell-Bottoms.

a1v3z4toeab.jpeg&f=1

• Thanks 1

For those who want to learn something new...

There are straight leg, flare aka boot cut, bell bottoms and big bells. They don't ever go out of fashion. Some bright bulb just renamed them thinking they could pull a fast one. They didn't stop to think that there will always be those who remember.

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

For those who want to learn something new...

There are straight leg, flare aka boot cut, bell bottoms and big bells. They don't ever go out of fashion. Some bright bulb just renamed them thinking they could pull a fast one. They didn't stop to think that there will always be those who remember.

Last time I saw folks wear them (in the 90’s), the style was for them to drag the ground and get all torn up at the ends from that.

39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Last time I saw folks wear them (in the 90’s), the style was for them to drag the ground and get all torn up at the ends from that.

You're about 30 years behind then. It's been that way since the 60s. Still is. Especially since none of the manufacturers can agree on standard sizing. Even the "regular" lengths are too long for me. So it's not that it started out being done intentionally. The manufacturers have forced it on us. And it isn't just jeans either. And of course, now it's more expensive to make your own clothes than it is to buy ready made and guess who made certain of that happening? Yep. The clothing manufacturers/designers. Much like cars. With each passing year there are fewer and fewer things on a car that the individual can fix because the manufacturers want you to buy a new car every two years as if we can all afford to spend more than a year's wages on a car every two years. This is being done with everything. That's why it's said that starting with Gen X (I think it was) kids are growing up in a throw away society. It's gone on long enough now that even people are considered disposable, just like a Bic lighter, the culprit that started the whole thing. Bic disposable pens and lighters.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Slight flare, i.e. boot cut, is still worn a lot, primarily with cowboy boots -- at least in Colorado.

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

sculpts ??

double swoons

I think they are mesh, but will check when I log in next.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You're about 30 years behind then. It's been that way since the 60s. Still is. Especially since none of the manufacturers can agree on standard sizing. Even the "regular" lengths are too long for me. So it's not that it started out being done intentionally. The manufacturers have forced it on us. And it isn't just jeans either. And of course, now it's more expensive to make your own clothes than it is to buy ready made and guess who made certain of that happening? Yep. The clothing manufacturers/designers. Much like cars. With each passing year there are fewer and fewer things on a car that the individual can fix because the manufacturers want you to buy a new car every two years as if we can all afford to spend more than a year's wages on a car every two years. This is being done with everything. That's why it's said that starting with Gen X (I think it was) kids are growing up in a throw away society. It's gone on long enough now that even people are considered disposable, just like a Bic lighter, the culprit that started the whole thing. Bic disposable pens and lighters.

Lol I only remember the 70’s.

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Bell-bottoms in MO, 1970’s: yes

Bell-bottoms in TX, 1975-1988: not so much

Bell-bottoms in TN, 1990’s: yep

I think it was the culture in each place/time, not my lack of attention. TX was pretty conservative.

Not really. We were wearing bell bottoms in Austin in the 80s. I wore bell bottoms every time I've been in TN from the 60s to when I got married in 1992. Wore bell bottoms in MO way back in the late 70s early 80s when I was bumming rides around the country. 

"Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see" 🎶

Edited by Selene Gregoire

7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I believe they were called Bell-Bottoms.

a1v3z4toeab.jpeg&f=1

Bells flared out a bit wider than straight legged jeans. I believe these are elephant bells (yes, ELEPHANT bell bottoms).

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Lol I only remember the 70’s.

Joe Walsh doesn't. He's on record saying such.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Not really. We were wearing bell bottoms in Austin in the 80s. I wore bell bottoms every time I've been in TN from the 60s to when I got married in 1992. Wore bell bottoms in MO way back in the late 70s early 80s when I was bumming rides around the country. 

"Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see" 🎶

Austin was um..not conservative like where I lived. Doesn’t mean I’m not “experienced” more than anyone I’ve ever met.

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Austin was um..not conservative like where I lived. Doesn’t mean I’m not “experienced” more than anyone I’ve ever met.

I never said you were and Austin isn't the only place in Texas. Cut and Shoot is extremely conservative. But you've probably never heard of that podunk town even though they had one of the largest country and western dance halls in the state .

All I'm saying is people have been wearing frayed bell bottoms since the 60s no matter what part of the country you live in and not always by choice (eta: the frayed part). The fact that you never noticed isn't relevant.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

10 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I never said you were and Austin isn't the only place in Texas. Cut and Shoot is extremely conservative. But you've probably never heard of that podunk town even though they had one of the largest country and western dance halls in the state .

All I'm saying is people have been wearing frayed bell bottoms since the 60s no matter what part of the country you live in and not always by choice (eta: the frayed part). The fact that you never noticed isn't relevant.

I haven’t lived in Texas for 33 years. While I did live near Houston, Cut and Shoot is only vaguely familiar.  Keep in mind, the article at the link says it was just a town back then.

*Edit* I thought that 40+ years ago, Gilley’s was the biggest club (in Pasadena, I think).

Edited by Love Zhaoying

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I haven’t lived in Texas for 33 years. While I did live near Houston, Cut and Shoot is only vaguely familiar.  Keep in mind, the article at the link says it was just a town back then.

*Edit* I thought that 40+ years ago, Gilley’s was the biggest club (in Pasadena, I think).

I said ONE of the largest, not THE largest.

banghead.gif.ee94306604dea0553004380c2ef01b8b.gif

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.