What are some of your earliest memories from Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I spent my first couple of weeks in LaPointe and Bastchild (sp?), a store. As a newbie, I could not figure out how I got there or how to leave. At least it was a great store with great clothes. I kind of thought that was SL at first. People were nice enough to the freaky newbie living in the store. lol

• Haha 6

My oldest memories were from the account I had before GoSpeed. I recall rezzing at Ahern and one of the Welcome area lurkers had a black widow spider avatar. Exploring nearby I saw a gathering of avatars in which one was juggling balls. I also recall discovering a Sci-Fi museum which featured a Klingon Bird Of Prey suspended in the sky.

Edited by GoSpeed Racer
  • Like 1

My very first memory of SL was me looking over the shoulder of a co-worker as he used it on his laptop  he brought to work. I am not  sure  how long it was after that till the time I actually went on SL for myself, but that was certainly the event that got me curious to try it for myself.

• Like 1

Walking through walls and falling through floors before being suddenly sucked back into the point I was at originally, and then being frozen into a stationary walk on the spot for a full ten seconds. Falling into deep bodies of water and being unable to get out except by teleporting to a completely different place. Stumbling across a virtual orgy and wondering what the actual feck was wrong with these people. Accepting an invitation to an auction in Gor and properly splattering tea across my keyboard when I realised what was being auctioned. Wearing an absolutely horrific, painted-on skin and hideous hair and still looking better than many other people. Attempting to adjust a skirt and having part of it disappear entirely. (Many months later, I would realise I had moved it right across the room.) Discovering an Arabian Nights themed RP sim and becoming hooked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Linden Homes Preview thread has triggered memories of my first two homes in SL.

The second one I had, I shared with a friend (and my business partner), and was a huge Victorian house. It was pretty and well-built, and spacious, and of absolutely no intrinsic interest to me at all. The idea of filling the rooms with fusty old prim furniture really did nothing for me, and so I left the decorating to my friend, who had a lot of fun, I think.

But my first home in SL was one of those tiny little pseudo Frank Lloyd Wright houses that were, at one time, almost ubiquitous: squarish, with huge picture windows or entire walls of glass, and square-cut stone.

It had, I think, all of two rooms: a living room and what was supposed to be a bedroom. Well, I bought some cheap 1 and 2 prim furnishings for the living room, but I had no need of a bedroom, so I decided to turn it into a miniature 60s cocktail lounge. I bought a small round table and a couple of chairs, and two bar stools -- and I made my own bar, all in black, with a backboard and bar rail that glowed a neon blue. And I set out some couples dance balls, and put scenes from La Dolce Vita up on the wall.

It was the only time I ever really put any effort into interior decoration (except my store, I suppose, a bit). God, that was fun.

(My little cocktail lounge proved my undoing, though: it was the first place I ever . . . well, you know. I'd probably have been safer with a bedroom.)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So you should be, still.

I miss the days of making things myself.

(Well, I still do, but only for photo shoots. It's not the same.)

Should get back into it. I recently got back into it  and I’m having a blast! So many new shiny programs to play around with. 

You know you want to. Admit it!

• Like 1

Honestly? Spending time with a (now gone from SL) very close friend of mine (dated for a while) - the same one that got me into SL in the first place - as well as poking around The Lost Furest (back before they had their won sim even), poking around Fur Nation, visiting and exploring Numbakulla/The Pot Healer's Adventure (that needs to come back) .... Gads, even my short time as a Mentor ...

Yeah, been here a long while.

On 3/14/2019 at 6:56 PM, Syn Anatine said:

You can't just write something like that and not let us know what your final decision was! :o

Hah Syn, ok... Apparently there was a way I could get bitten and stay human... a blood doll or something... and truthfully, I’d been fantasising about this for months. I called my Vampire Queen and told her I was ready... she summond me to this eerie graveyard which had a thick mist slowly rolling through the wrought iron fence and over the tops of the gravestones.

The scene was set… I was nervous… This was going to be the most exciting thing that had ever happened to me in my young Second Life… I braced myself… the pop up appeared asking for permission to animate my avatar… I clicked yes and took a deep breath….

I don’t know what happened next… my camera must have been facing the wrong way.. I didn’t see a thing… I was bitten… It was over in a second… Was that it? Wait, wait… can we do it again? I missed it. Oh, no we can’t … my Vampire Queen had to log off in a hurry… Her kids were hungry and waiting for their dinner….
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tem Haalan said:

Hah Syn, ok... Apparently there was a way I could get bitten and stay human... a blood doll or something... and truthfully, I’d been fantasising about this for months. I called my Vampire Queen and told her I was ready... she summond me to this eerie graveyard which had a thick mist slowly rolling through the wrought iron fence and over the tops of the gravestones.

The scene was set… I was nervous… This was going to be the most exciting thing that had ever happened to me in my young Second Life… I braced myself… the pop up appeared asking for permission to animate my avatar… I clicked yes and took a deep breath….

I don’t know what happened next… my camera must have been facing the wrong way.. I didn’t see a thing… I was bitten… It was over in a second… Was that it? Wait, wait… can we do it again? I missed it. Oh, no we can’t … my Vampire Queen had to log off in a hurry… Her kids were hungry and waiting for their dinner….

Gosh, I was getting so into the story that you were setting up so nicely and then I ended up torn between bursting out laughing and just this dry facial expression, something like this:

large.jpg

I feel as bereft right now as you must have felt back then LOL.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was at orientation island trying to move up jump etc... and learning some short cut. When I have finish I though It was not as hard. After that I was totaly lost. What can I do here. How strange are people. Feeling like a refugee. Feeling lost and alone. I think I didn't grow and I am still the same sometimes still today. SL is really strange.

8 hours ago, Lureo said:

I was at orientation island trying to move up jump etc... and learning some short cut. When I have finish I though It was not as hard. After that I was totaly lost. What can I do here. How strange are people. Feeling like a refugee. Feeling lost and alone. I think I didn't grow and I am still the same sometimes still today. SL is really strange.

8E92519C-34BC-47F2-B90F-1E64FE1EDF18.jpeg

Let's see, in 2009, I was recent;y unemployed, a bit depressed and bored. So I was reading stories on .. an adult website.. and read a story by one writer. I loved her way with words, so I searched the site and read all her stories. Now I'd been playing City of Heroes and WoW on RP servers, even ran a fairly well regarded RP Guild on WoW. So I could see the elements of taking a scene from an RP session and turning it into a short story in her work.

So I fangirled a bit and got up the nerve to send her an email telling her how much I loved her stories. Much to my surprise, she wrote back! As I had guessed, the stories were from in world RP, and if I'd ever heard of Second Life. She invited me to create an account. Obviously I did and after spending a week getting to know the controls, messaged her and soon got back a reply. She friended me and invited me to the sim she was a part of.

I didn't do a whole lot of exploring then, I loved (and still love) that sim and most of the people I've met there.

Most of my early days stories aren't G-rated, but I do recall being a bit too good at editing.. I'd managed to edit one cuff of a set of no copy cuffs and for the life of me could not remember how the heck I did it. I wound up having to ask for help on that one..

I do however remember money trees as well as PPRS. I made several alts bcause of them. (Money trees for the first 30 days and then PPRS picks, since the trees were for 30 days or less and PPRS had a minimum to be 1 month old. Both of which fueled my shopping in my early pauper days of SL. Bless everyone that set those things up.

I remember camping for hair at Girl 6, grabbing almost anything at the Free Dove and Yadni's Junkyard.

• Like 1

I was injured; down for 6 months due to a fall at work. I had planned on moving to another state but could not until I had jumped through all these hoops to both A) Stay on Workers Comp, and B) If I left prematurely and re-injured myself I would be screwed. Or so I was told... Anyway...

I found Second Life through an adult website. I joined in 2007 so a lot of these are from that era up until Laoise was created (2010.)

Blueberry Hill & The Pap Daddy Dancers ... I loved this place and I loved working there. I remember... lol... I was on the stage with the DJ and another dancer and I was up all night beforehand and I just stood up and went to bed. I came back to my avatar still dancing and the place empty. Oops... Shocked that I wasn't fired for that.

I remember spending hours at Dance Island (asking someone if they had the dance "Caramel" and instead of an animation I got a bowl of caramel candy- LOL!) I Remember a club called The Galaxy... A club called ApocaLips... and the drama that came with that place. There was one I spent a lot of time at and I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but, I can remember the names of a few regulars who either don't log in anymore or have moved on to different avatars.

Hmm... I remember doing surveys for Linden (I didn't want to invest RL money into SL at the time), getting verbally abused by someone who owned this survey place that was decorated all gaudy - she was German, and wouldn't pay the money I had rightfully earned and accused me of trying to scam her.

I remember making a mAlt, then abandoning him. I remember being given the name and password of another mAlt, who was a dancer.

Fondest memory though? Visiting Freebie Beach. Whenever "Cyclone" by Baby Bash plays anywhere I have to listen to it.

she moves her body like a cy-clone ... and she makes me wanna do it all night long...

• Like 1

Similar to Laoise, I came to SL due to an injury that had me bedridden for several weeks. I'd seen a news report on SL about a month prior - paid it little attention until there I was laid up on the couch with a leg that was completely useless. Decided I needed better entertainment than watching game shows and soap operas all day (both of which I detest). 

Being as this was 2008 SL was still rough around the edges visually. My earliest memories are a lot of WTF moments. Left Orientation Island without doing the orientation for one thing so once someone instructed me how to get elsewhere I was gone, gone, gone. Landed in a huge, empty shopping mall that had people washing windows that wouldn't answer me when I spoke to them. Did not know about camping at that time, or bots so thought they were just being rude.

Pretty much decided to can the SL thing because everywhere I went was dead.  suppose had I done the orientation I would have found out where to meet people faster.

Somehow made my way to the official forum and that's how I discovered how to actually find and do things here. The Forum Cartel formed during this time period and I, like Lil, was a very active member there and all of my early social memories revolve entirely around events and friends that were spawned from this group. Discovered so many interesting places and people during that time period; everything was a "first" so even bad experiences (like my 1st SL breakup, being dragged into an SL drama-fest, being targeted for harassment for no good reason other than the person was an a-hole) are good memories because they were building blocks to my virtual life and taught me how to live a better virtual life that is now free from all of that nonsense. 

Ok I digressed a bit. Here's a Top 5 memories since that's what this is about, right?

1. Chicken Run! The day a bunch of us Cartelians dressed up as giant chickens and overran SL sims. Such wonderfully silly fun.

2. Buying my first land that wasn't Linden land and discovering that no matter how many prims you  have it's never enough. Still true to this day.

3. The Not Possible In Real Life Exhibit -  Garden of Earthly Delights. Really large, remarkable event that was surreal, trippy fun. My then absolute favorite creator, Four Yip, had a section there. I adored her outfits, poses, and other items; my fav was a skimpy haram outfit and a giant raindrop that you sat in so you could dance in it. She used to give away a LOT of things also. Very surrealistic items. I regret dumping all of her stuff from my inventory some years back  - what a stupid move that was but it was literally thousands of pieces and I was on a purge mission. Should have boxed them all up.

4. More nature sims than I can count that don't exist any longer that were great for walking though, with someone or alone. I remember one in particular, Midnight Reflections, that had many paths leading to private areas where one could spend time alone with a special someone - perfect if you didn't have a home yet *winks*

5. Finding out one can dance with another avatar! Gosh, this was wonderful. One of my favorites places was Heaven's Wind Romantic Club. The ground looked like puffy clouds and truly gave one the sense of being somewhere other than earth. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We used to make money during the week playing Pizzeria, that would get spent at the weekend on a couple of games of big pot slingo or tringo. We never won (came heart stoppingly close to an obscene amount of L$ a couple of times), but the hype was real ... followed by hours trying on nomine skin demos to make us feel better.

7 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

That moment, when you realize you are old, because you immediately know and remember how that dance looks like... :)
I bet, its still in my inventory ^^

Hahah - I just checked.  I do still have that dance.  I should probably clean out my Dances folder some day.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.