What are some of your earliest memories from Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Orientation Island had me quitting pretty quick..

I seen everyone walking around like zombies and hearing voices coming from somewhere..

It reminded me of way too much of the movie, The Island..

It took my friends like 3 days to talk me back into coming back to SL to give it another try..

But once I got off that scary Island,I hit the ground running..

hehehe

• Like 5

First week ? I was stood in a sandbox trying to get a box off my head. Got chatting to a lovely lass who asked if we could kiss and told me lots about SL. Could'nt believe my luck. Two years later and I was informed I had been bitten by a vampire and it cost me 650$L to buy a green potion to get my soul back. I paid it.

• Haha 2

Sitting in my home office flying over mainland on the brand shiny new Linux client, wearing goth tartan leggings and listening to Dido, because the client had no sound.

Hearing anything from that CD takes me right back to a radically different me, living a very different life half a world away. Many memories of people I met in SL back then who aren't with us anymore, the painful close of one chapter and the start of the next's most amazing adventures.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

...  Many memories of people I met in SL back then who aren't with us anymore, the painful close of one chapter and the start of the next's most amazing adventures.

Took me back to a place I stumbled on one day. It was a memorial garden, where residents could leave tributes and epitaphs to their lost loved ones. I spent hours reading every one, and cried more than once. It was quite a place, heavy with ..... emotion, grief and love. Imagine that in our digital world. Anyway I've never re-found it since. 

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 4

in my first day i  attached model walk thingy and  thought i got virus,lol.Later was really annoyed by some guys,who hated vampires (never heard about starter avatars?).Had no idea about graphics settngs,so everything was soo beautiful with high graphics

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Hearing anything from that CD takes me right back to a radically different me, living a very different life half a world away. Many memories of people I met in SL back then who aren't with us anymore, the painful close of one chapter and the start of the next's most amazing adventures.

I get this with certain electronic tracks from 2010. Instant flashback to chatting to Eastern European vampire boys with the cheesiest pick up lines ever.

Even the Zyngo sound FX bring memories flooding back...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I tried SL sometime in 2004 or 2005, but it didn't last long. I logged in and started looking around, then saw someone headed toward me. I logged out & didn't come back ... SL was too crowded. Unfortunately I lost track of that account. I tried again in early September 2006. I got through Orientation Island as fast as I could, took the teleport to mainland and found a quiet spot. I played with the viewer, found the minimap, and started what became my favorite game: avoid the green dots. I bought a parcel of First Land shortly after, sold it to a neighbor after two weeks (too few prims and way too crowded), and rented 2K sqm on Anshe's Dreamland. I spent the next year renting parcels when they came available, going through the LSL wiki to try everything that seemed interesting, building, landscaping, doing my own textures, and exploring anywhere that other people weren't.

• Like 2

I joined in September 2006 but my chosen early memory was from about a year later.  I remember the great land crash, when land prices plummeted by something like 90% over a week or two. Land had become very expensive in SL because lots of people were joining but no new land was being created.  Then LL decided to open up new mainland continents so there was loads of brand new land available.  The land market was largely in the hands of the big 'land barons' who bought up big parcels of the new land and divided it up into 512 plots for resale.  Suddenly one or more of the land barons decided to pull out of the market, dumping their stocks of land at knockdown prices.  My own theory is that several of the big land barons, who appeared to be fiercely competitive, were actually alts of the same RL person.  Anyway, on one particular day I was in-world and followed the land prices as they halved in that one day.  That was much easier to do in those days, and the figure to watch was the cheapest going rate for a 512.  It was all quite dramatic, or at least it felt that way.

• Like 1

Threatening to take the owner of bloodlines to court because he had my data and.... > my soul <... :o and I was deadly serious....-_-

xDxDxDxDxD *cue the horrid SL gesture laugh....

nothing to see here folks... move along now... :P

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Threatening to take the owner of bloodlines to court because he had my data and.... > my soul <... :o and I was deadly serious....-_-

xDxDxDxDxD *cue the horrid SL gesture laugh....

nothing to see here folks... move along now... :P

Now that the GDPR is here you just might do so...

I honestly cannot remember what made me create a Second Life account, but I can still remember my first day in SL, back in 2007. I should add that I have been playing computer games since the heady days of swapping cracked Commodore 64-games on hole-punched 5 1/2 inch floppy discs at school and playing The Castles of Dr. Creep for hours on end, by now graduating to things like the Jedi Knight series, while also being active in chat rooms such as OTF. Second Life seemed like a fun game at the time, offering the best of both worlds. 

Anyway, my first day in SL, after choosing my name (I was drinking Ginger tea and listening to Shostakovich, I kid you not!), I appeared on an orientation place. I duckwalked around. I clicked on everything. I found out how to fly, and promptly crashed into various buildings and cursing. Where am I? What do I do? Where he heck am I going? Why is there a skyscraper? *splat* 

Then there was a teleport into the wide open world, and I was told to use the search function to find interesting things. 

I searched for "books" and and found Book Island, where someone was holding a class about creative writing. in voice. I was made welcome, sat down, joined in, and was hooked. 

• Like 3

I remember seeing an advert for Second Life somewhere long ago with a guy playing an electric guitar to an attentive audience and thinking at the time about giving it a go. It took me another year to get a computer and graphics card that was able to meet the minimum requirements with something like a Pentium 4 and an Nvidia GeForce 5200 or was it an MX440? So I was finally able to take the plunge in early 2005 and landed at the DAMB welcome area which was a pretty hectic carnival at the time. Or so it seemed. I did a bit of exploring from there and found Nexus Prime, Miramare, Luskwood, The Ivory Tower of Primitives, The Shelter, Numbakulla and many other places in my forays around the grid and recall being totally floored by the places people had created for themselves.

My first avatar was a bit of a lame mini-me with cannabis-leaf wings. Then I found a shop selling Daleks and bought myself a Dalek avatar. Meanwhile the DAMB welcome area was a non-stop party with people passing around and showing off freebie outfits. I bought myself a dragon avatar from Luskwood and spent many happy hours flying around the pristine open lands of Heterocera after I claimed my little 512m parcel of First Land. I got to know my some of my SL neighbours and for a while that little world was all I needed. I built my first weird retro SciFi home and got ejected from a nearby mall by Prokofy Neva who was showing new clients around while I was doing loop-the-loops in the sky above them and buzzing through at ground level. Fun times :)

It was another year and a half before I got round to playing any music in SL. I remember being disappointed at the time that you couldn't really play music in SL. Your instruments were essentially dummy props with a few animations which might be able to spit out a few loops at best. But once I got over that and learned how to stream live music from my home studio, I never looked back. Nowadays I merrily perform in SL to my own empty venue and live stream the video to Facebook where my main audience is... but that's a story for another day.

Edited by Alazarin Mondrian
  • Like 1

Standing by a money tree waiting for a L$1 bill to spawn... (I couldn't get my credit card to work in SL for the first three months)

Making my first proper SL friend and spending hours just chatting.

Taking months to decide if i was going to let a certain Vampire Queen bite me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tem Haalan said:

Standing by a money tree waiting for a L$1 bill to spawn... (I couldn't get my credit card to work in SL for the first three months)

Same, and after that when I had my first store I had a money tree myself. Was a really nice thing and I miss being able to run one, but bots ... 

665748121_ChristmasMoneyTree.png.492a519859fe0c58e7b33147f85086ae.png

• Like 2

* Finding a votebox that paid out 2L - and logging in my 50+ alts to make 100L+ (plus making some more alts at the time). Mandy's Mansion, MS Enchanted Cruise Line, Rocco's Game Room, Jinx's Pet Shop, Pole Fashions...

* Freebie shopping at Freebie Galaxy, Imagination, Xplosion, Honie Isle, Freebie World

* First orbit gun - shooting shoppers in Freebie World

* Riding a demo horse into a club and being ejected

* Nightmare Dench clones attacking Sandbox Island with giant blue/red humming shapes, spinning Spengbab cubes and chat spam

* Multiple people arguing and being rude to each on voice other at Moose Beach Infohub

* An awful Disneyworld knock-off called Mouseworld (I think?) with creepy, badly designed rides

* Coach and Horses. People pretending to DJ but actually dancing to Capital Radio

* Vampires asking you if you want to join their clan and make tons of friends

* Skydiving off the Eiffel Tower with a guy from Bombay who couldn't stop talking

* Leaving sexbeds on peoples' lawns and running away

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MitzySpangle said:

* An awful Disneyworld knock-off called Mouseworld (I think?) with creepy, badly designed rides

OMG, I remember that place. Yep, correct name - I even have a folder of pics from there on my computer.  I thought the rides were comical and so I rode them all - and laughed lots when I sometimes got thrown off one due to bad design and/or SL glitches.

6 hours ago, MitzySpangle said:

* Riding a demo horse into a club and being ejected

That's just reminded me of the time i was in some club i happened upon it had rezz rights don't think there was any auto return and i tried rezzing some typing animation laptops i'd acquired to see what they looked like, being a noob i didn't know they had to be worn and only showed up when you typed in local chat with the typing animation enabled in prefs. so i when nothing showed up i kept trying to rezz them not knowing i was using up all the prims on the land, the owner was not happy returned everything i tried rezzing and i got ejected and banned 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.