How far do you think 2nd Life could evolve?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The numbers from Steam aren’t really indicative of anything. It’s a platform for primarily games and as it’s been repeated many times “SL is nert a gaem!!!” That also goes for Sansar so people aren’t going to be on steam looking for something like Sansar they’re going to be looking for things like Black Desert or  Warframe. I know you can get other applications, heck I got substance painter off of there.

I’m guessing the true purpose of putting Sansar on Steam was to get Sansar some more exposure, probably for potential content developers. Well mission accomplished? If the purpose of Sansar is to be like the unity engine of VR, well then Sansar is the Gorilla glass of VR. A good idea but no real practical use until some point in the future. Companies are pushing VR hard. I saw VR headsets for sale in a drug store the other day. It’s mainstream use still is in doubt though. The way companies are pushing them it looks like they will see mainstream use in the near future as the price drops.

Which leads me to SL. SL still has yet to tap into mobile devices which seems a much likely future outcome than VR. IMVU has been taking advantage of mobile and I’m pretty sure they have higher concurrent users than SL probably due to mobile devices. But how mobile devices are now? The progression from mobile devices is going to be AR. That’s something people are more likely to go for and use daily than VR. I don’t quite see how SL fits into AR yet.

Maybe LL will make a working version of a more streamlined SL that you can use on mobile devices. Regardless of whether they do that by SL’s 20th anniversary a SL2 should probably be in the works using what they’ve learned from Sansar and SL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janetosilio said:

That also goes for Sansar so people aren’t going to be on steam looking for something like Sansar they’re going to be looking for things like Black Desert or  Warframe.

I must be the only person who uses Steam that doesn't look for things like Black Desert or Warframe.

I agree that if it was even a bit possible, it would be awesome to use VR in SL.

Now that the VR tech has come along so much, and that the Lab has a number of experts in the field, could they not start a few 'VR-only islands', ones that require extreme lean building techniques, and still get a better result than all the platforms that insist on absolutely vanilla content?

I saw one little brown fox jumping through hoops in VR, and that all the little brown foxes i ever need to see (!).

33 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

You play the sims don't you. Admit it...admit your shame...the sims and candy crush

I play games like STO, Planet Nomads, Empyrion: Galactic Survival, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege, etc and yes, I have all 4 iterations of The Sims. I've never played Candy Crush. It does not appeal to me in the least.

I am not ashamed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.