Is there virtue in being a Second Life troll?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

"Let's just get rid of all the laws in that case!" is always the bad response I hear whenever it's suggested that we take steps to protect ourselves.

Nobody ever wants to take any responsibility for themselves or their own well being. "Just make more laws, that'll make it so I don't have to open my eyes and look both ways before I cross the street!"

Gadget, again, I'm perplexed. The mention I made of laws was solely in reference to your own example of house breaking. I've nowhere suggested we can or should try to control verbal trolling via legislation.

You can't legislate attitudes and ideas, and you can't outlaw stupidity. And if you could, it would miss the point. That's why we invented "education."

• Like 2

Mmm... It depends of our definition of what is a 'troll'? Is there a virtue in having fun at the expense of others, even if they don't agree? I can let a bold NO.

But example: in a red light sim I use to go, there was a dog days ago demanding to be called "Master" and sporting a large... thing. He even pissed at the foot of one of us. Some thought it was hilarious, others asked to ban him immediately... Can we consider him as a classic troll?

Edited by angelikiinha

I doubt you will find any virtue in SL at all. Its already hard to find people of real virtue in the real world. You'll find alot of people who claim to be, but saying it is not enough, unfortunately. People like to use big words when they run their lips but they fail to prove it with actions.

Edited by JJack Montreal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

For me, on the other hand, the glass is half full.

"We choose to go to the Moon" - John F. Kennedy, 1962

Some say the glass (of beer) is half full, some say it is half empty, others say, its half way to another glass of beer.

12 hours ago, angelikiinha said:

Mmm... It depends of our definition of what is a 'troll'? Is there a virtue in having fun at the expense of others, even if they don't agree? I can let a bold NO.

But example: in a red light sim I use to go, there was a dog days ago demanding to be called "Master" and sporting a large... thing. He even pissed at the foot of one of us. Some thought it was hilarious, others asked to ban him immediately... Can we consider him as a classic troll?

Every post I make in here, I have to consider every word very carefully, weigh it, mull it over, and ask myself.... will someone on the forums take offence and report it for trolling. 

Real trolling is very rare, but taking offence is oh so very common.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sounds almost like a “filter”! Not everyone has one of those. 

Some will say I'm doing it for the wrong reasons though, not out of a desire to be kind and considerate to others, but for my own self preservation. 

Even when you win you still lose.

6 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Some will say I'm doing it for the wrong reasons though, not out of a desire to be kind and considerate to others, but for my own self preservation. 

Even when you win you still lose.

No, you do great lately in my not-so-humble opinion. It can be tempting to slip things in or try and get a response, I know.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

Oy, as you know, this is a terribly complex subject, Luna. The deeper you look, the more you'll realize that our minds don't work the way we think they do. We're full of biases and misperceptions, and our brains are actually fairly lazy.

Once again I'll recommend Daniel Kahneman's marvelous book "Thinking Fast and Slow" (and once again I'll thank Pamela Galli for recommending it to me) as a primer on just how much we misunderstand ourselves, how biased our thinking really is, and how we may actually have more than one self to be aware of (the experiencing self, and the remembering self). And for a weekly deep dive into the individual candied bits of our mental fruitcake, I recommend the Kahneman inspired NPR show "Hidden Brain". I've mentioned before that we

Thanks for the links, Maddy!

I'm afraid my mind is simmering so much it will boil away and never return on this subject....  :)   But later...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.