[Website] Explore freely levels from famous 3D games

Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I figured this was sort of educational and could be a great resource/inspiration for some of our meshers.

https://noclip.website/

Compiles a bunch of classic videogame levels right into your browser, allowing you to explore them without constraints, so you can see how they where made. Most of those come from the Wii, DS, and Gamecube, consoles that wheren't exceptionally powerful, yet game designers still managed to pump out really good looking and optimized titles.

Few things of note:

• Dark souls: which might (possibly) be more relevant to SL creators (despite having glitches) and does showcase how a complex scene can render extremely quickly if you manage your assets carefully.
  • Majora's mask 3: Some amazing texture recycling examples in the different cities of the game.
  • The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword: Some gorgeous scenes especially in Skyloft.

EDIT: You can also check rendering statistics from the side menu, and explore the textures each scene is using.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

On the left pulldown menu you select the game, and on the right you select the level you want to load.

So all those games have a pitch black screen as their levels?

Edited by Fionalein

I thought I would mention, al lot of those are console games, and for performance reasons, chunks of the game world are loaded/unloaded as you pass through specific trigger points. Some of the game levels showcased have such systems and sometimes parts of those models are duplicated between two layers.

You can hide "layers" that you don't want to see from one of the menus.

Splatoon > AnchoV Games level

firefox_2019-03-04_08-12-36.thumb.jpg.b2ae35ea74a8f9363508c6c599f23fea.jpg

What is most impressive to me is how much detail has been crammed into this scene, normal maps don't appear to work but still that's 5000-300 FPS with TONS of texture recycling going on and a mere 110K triangles. (that's less than most avatars you'll see in SL).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.