Chic Aeon

Triangles showing in SOME textures in RENDER view - SOLVED

I have never seen this before and have NO idea why it is happening so hopefully someone will know. I am using Blender 2.79 (newish for me). 

Made a building much like my normal methods. It is all one piece at the moment. SOME parts of the mesh show triangles when in render view. It isn't the textures used; you can see that when I replaced the light gray plaster walls with the same concrete texture the WALLS are just fine.  8 materials. Triangulate does NOT fix.   

Really puzzled. Thanks for any insights. 

triangles.png.a929786b975efa485f3acb002a585d60.png

Triangles showing on foundation and bricks but NOT the side cement walls.

199114066_trianglessametextureonwall.png.72bc892ccc95d82f2bd27a901fd042c1.png

When same texture as foundation is used on side walls, no triangles appear.

1391474415_trianglesnotexutures.png.b33941d771b8779922732aab6d390b04.png

mapping.png.7d4101e9e8aef1d6c59cc72c3c6c47e8.png

Cycles or Blender Internal?

Are you 100% sure they're all flat? (I know you've probably checked this, you know far more about mesh than I do).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ana Stubbs said:

Are you 100% sure they're all flat?

That was my thought. I can’t see anything else.

5 minutes ago, Ana Stubbs said:

Cycles or Blender Internal?

Are you 100% sure they're all flat? (I know you've probably checked this, you know far more about mesh than I do).

Cycles. Yes all flat LOL (they would have been VERY BAD to do that if not flat ).  I just baked to see if it shows up there and it does. 

I can dissolve things and possibly fix; I will try that, but VERY confused over how this happened.  

Posted (edited)

Dissolve doesn't fix. Changing the foundation texture to the WALL texture (one that is rendering fine) doesn't fix either. 

image.thumb.png.33b70fd6b20a3dd7c4eaeeb3650857fd.png

Edited by Chic Aeon

I had this one time. I had an oldest duplicated version of the model, superposing the final version with the eye off in the outliner. Didn't remember I had made this duplication ^^

10 minutes ago, Pierre Ceriano said:

I had this one time. I had an oldest duplicated version of the model, superposing the final version with the eye off in the outliner. Didn't remember I had made this duplication ^^

Thanks. That wasn't it as I hadn't duplicated. But did get me thinking in a sideways direction.

I had TONS of materials in the list as I had made this with mock up prims for sizing (going in a certain spot) and had all that junk left over. Thought that appending the finished building in a NEW file might solve this issue. I did that and the materials leftover from the mock up prims disappeared from the list (oh so many) but unfortunately that didn't fix it. 

I didn't USE the mock up prims in this build so it isn't a prims to mesh issue per se but I am guessing that is where the problem came in. BUT that being said, I don't see why the main walls are fine and the brick parts not as the brick parts were EXTRUDED from the main walls that are working (oh a puzzle).  I can remake the broken parts I guess but enthusiasm is waning at this point. 

Will wait and see if there are any other fix-it ideas that I haven't thought of yet :d.  At least the main base is OK. I could just use tiling textures for the bricks maybe. The base is easy enough to redo. 

But break time.  

STILL would like a more concrete explanation of "why" no matter :D. 

To the tub!!!

• Thanks 1

ALSO isn't an unapplied modifier (solidify) although the pieces in question were EXTRUDED from the main walls which had a solidify modifier applied.  Really thought that might be it -- and maybe IS part of the issue. 

BUT I finally got it! 

It was the materials. 

I had copied over some materials and somehow they picked up the previous material. If I make a BRAND NEW material and change all the nodes manually it works. Note the difference between the new foundation and the not fixed yet bricks. 

THE ODD THING Is that I copied over the nodes for the main walls TWICE (three materials in all with the same settings as this is a big building) and THOSE worked. So I still really don't know what happened. But there are some hints there if someone else has this happen.

First time for me in three plus years in Cycles. 

1223327455_fixedmaterial.png.3739cc82417401bbfae2fff16b7cb33c.png

• Like 1

Adding some thoughts for folks that might be reading this in the future.

The only difference between the materials that DID work and those with the problem was that I had copied over a node group, then changed the image texture for the bake AS WELL AS the image that the material would bake to.  I have been doing this for years in 2.78 with no issues.  

It appears that 2.79 treats things a bit differently and there could be a bug in that process.  So watch for that. Most all of the suggestions here as well as the things I tried before finding the answer "could" have been the problem :D.   So checking those may be a good first step. 

This was the first item that I copied node groups over in 2.79. So that's my best guess.

They DID finally fix the saving texture images to alpha defaulting after the first bake bug. That took MANY versions to get adjusted. Glad to have that working correctly now.

One step forward, one step back.  Moving onward. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Impressive detective work!

Well it did end up with a better build so not a complete waste of time AND I am guessing I will REMEMBER this :D. Thanks.

:SwingingFriends::SwingingFriends: