Do you talk about SL to your RL family/friends?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

yes I do... well Dave obviously knows... he´s sitting next to me as I type this XD , my Mom knows, his dad and brother ....his mom should, too.... I mean I use my SL pics in my RL journal-style calender.... it´s not that I hide it XD
And my Roleplay people know because I use Kasha for Character Pics^^

• Like 2

To my closest friend yes. To everyone else..no. Some of my friends have even ridiculed me for it because I could "achieve so much more by using a real game development studio like unity". I think its hard to explain the appeal of SL to others. They see this aged virtual world and its limitations as opposed to those of us who are here who love its possibilities. 

• Like 2

I don't hide SL from anyone, if it comes up in conversation that's fine. Especially since I met my SL partner/RL husband (Ghosty, who some here know) on the original SL forum more years ago than I can remember off hand now. Geez could be like 12 years now 😮

All of our family and friends know the story of how we met as do some of my co-workers. I work in a branch of the design field, so SL wouldn't be that odd to anyone there and in fact, perhaps may now be more interesting as we're branching off into using VR for client presentations. I've shared my SL photography with many of my staff, who are always quite interested to see it. The women particularly can't get over the aspect of the avatar itself; hair, clothing, makeup etc. One of my co-workers actually had dabbled inworld for a short period of time as it turns out, but lost interest for one reason or another.  And Ghosty DJ's inworld with a live stream online for anyone to plug into so he's not hiding much either. Both of us are relatively social with the people we know inworld too - we've allowed the lines between worlds to be blurred with the right people and consider several people we've met in SL to be good RL friends also.

When I first started in SL, it was more of a secret type of activity - but times were different for me personally then too. Once I met Ghosty, I just didn't care as much to keep it as hidden since it became part of our shared history. Now, I enjoy educating people on the outside who may have the impression SL is just a sex based "game" that it isn't at all - I love showing them the beauty that is created here, the funky little places and my home, filled with all the virtual things I love. Anyone I do this with, comes away with an entirely different perspective than they had before. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've never hidden that I was in second life. but most of my friends in rl (and sl come to think of it) are a bit older than myself and don't 'get it'. i talk about it in therapy as well...which, honestly, seems like one of the best applications of sl. working out emotional issues, etc. 

Typically, no. In fact, the only time I speak in RL about online social games is when something really, really funny/interesting happens. For example; when I used to play vrchat religiously and got "kidnapped" by somewhere wearing a Uganda Knuckles avatar and was taken to an amusement park where be bought me cotton candy and then took me to the vrchat courthouse to sign adoption papers. That was...something. Needless to say if something that tier happens on SL I tell people about it.

Most of my family and friends are very conservative straight laced people who already think I have been corrupted by the evils of the world, so no, I don't share this with them.

• Like 1

My bestie and my Mum know. I once tried to encourage the telstra (phone) tech support guy to join. 

My Mum knows all about Hair Fair, she loves that we do that, she knows all about the fashion and the blogging etc, the hilarity though at first was every time I would show her a look I was taking pics of she would ask if I made it, because she knew people made things here - My Mum has very high opinions of her daughters skill set - I had to keep explaining no, and she would say you could and walk away LOVE YOU MUM!

• Like 1

I can't imagine why anyone would even consider keeping the fact that they log into SL a secret. I've never felt the need to hide it from anyone, and most people who know me know that I've been doing it for many years..

Edited by Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.