Rotating the grid?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got a skybox which has an octagonal room in the center, and adjacent to it is a smaller room which is also octagonal, but the placement of the doorway and windows make it so that the smaller room is essentially turned by 45 degrees (the octagonal shape is also not 'perfect', some of the wall sections - the ones that go along the grid - are much shorter). I find this makes it difficult to put things up on the walls, and position furniture in general, as I have to work back and forth on the X and Y axis if I want to move something closer or further from the walls.

So, although it feels like a rather weird and perhaps even absurd question - is it possible to rotate the grid orientation in the build tools somehow?

For now I'm just rezzing prims to stretch and rotate so that I can copy the coordinates but it feels like a very clunky way to work.

As far as I know, no.

However, you could do other things like rezzing the object you want, rotating it by 45 degrees, and moving it by the little dual-colored triangle between each individual axis. (The triangle will have the colors of the two axes it will move the object along) and eye it with that.

Or, you could keep one prim in the center of the build, rez the object as far away from the center as you need and rotate it whichever way you want it to face toward the center, and then add the center prim to your selection (check edit at root) and rotate the objects into place that way.

Or, you could rotate the entire build and all of the intended furniture by 45 degrees until the spot you want aligns with the real coordinate grid, then rotate it back (and again) when you're done.

I have a better suggestion than both of those Wulfie and Chin have provided.

Rez a prim, rotate it to the orientation you want. Keep it selected.

Go to Build > Options > Use Selection for Grid.

Now you can switch the ruler mode Chin indicated to Reference, and your grid will be rotated to the orientation of your Reference object.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

As far as I know, no.

However, you could do other things like rezzing the object you want, rotating it by 45 degrees, and moving it by the little dual-colored triangle between each individual axis. (The triangle will have the colors of the two axes it will move the object along) and eye it with that.

Or, you could keep one prim in the center of the build, rez the object as far away from the center as you need and rotate it whichever way you want it to face toward the center, and then add the center prim to your selection (check edit at root) and rotate the objects into place that way.

Or, you could rotate the entire build and all of the intended furniture by 45 degrees until the spot you want aligns with the real coordinate grid, then rotate it back (and again) when you're done.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that I can use those arrows as well. Doh.

4 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It'snot perfect but it should help:

1303882939_Skjermbilde(2054).png.596d40d06982c7259582ccfb1177f7db.png

Ooh, perfect!

2 minutes ago, Ana Stubbs said:

I have a better suggestion than both of those Wulfie and Chin have provided.

Rez a prim, rotate it to the orientation you want. Keep it selected.

Go to Build > Options > Use Selection for Grid.

Now you can switch the ruler mode Chin indicated to Reference, and your grid will be rotated to the orientation of your Reference object.

Okay, that works even better.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.