Jump to content
Reid Parkin

Product Review no-no?

Recommended Posts

I have an item listed that I tried to make sure I described properly, but I got a one star review for exactly what was in the description.

My item is described as 'very large planes with some slight curves and a high quality clean texture'.  This isn't hidden in a long description. It's on the second line of a short description.

I got a one star review from a customer who questioned it being mesh, and then went on to say the item is a transparent texture on a curved piece of mesh, and not 3D, and that the texture is not so bad. I thought this was a product review no-no. So, I flagged it and made my comment, and yet it remains after almost 2 weeks. Maybe the commerce team are just very backlogged, but in my experience with unfair reviews, if it is not removed in a few days it stays

I read the Product Listing Review Guidelines by Dakota, which states -

'' .....there are some no-no's that will result in your review being removed from an item listing. 

Reporting issues that are outside of the control of the seller or are known issues.

Reporting issues already detailed in the Product Listing

The point is not that I think the review will affect the sale of the item because people will read and see, but only because the review does not, in my opinion, follow the guidelines set out by Dakota. 

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They seem to have stopped evaluating flagged reviews again. I have one that seems to have knocked off stars because she can’t find items in her inventory.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then I hope Dakota reviews her product review listing guidelines as it's misleading. Why have it if it isn't going to be followed 😞

I only just realised there is another long recent thread on this, so I'm not alone anyway.

But maybe this thread could lead to a review of the guidelines, @Dakota?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i suggest you also open a ticket for that. Sure they will tell you to flag it and wait for a review team member to look at it, and probably close the ticket, but at least it will get things moving. Btw, my last ticket about this (last week) have been open for 3 days before it got a first reply. In the past i used to get a response on a ticket within 12 hours. So i'm guessing all Lindens are on a holiday or something...

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Reid Parkin said:

I got a one star review from a customer who questioned it being mesh

I've had a similar experience once and I did the same as you did, added a comment and flagged the review. As far as I know, the review was never removed but I never took it any further and haven't checked for a while. It was one of my low poly two moon style budget plants. I sell those so cheap there's no money in them anyway.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings all!

Those who review the review reports :)  are only human.  Mistakes do happen.

If you have flagged a review and it was not removed after 3 business days, please create a Support Ticket and ask for clarification on why it wasn't removed and someone from Customer Support should be able to tell you why. 

Customer Support does have a standard reply for users who report reviews through a Support Ticket, so PLEASE make sure you provide information in your initial communication stating that you have already flagged the review and you are requesting information on why it was not removed.  If you still get the standard reply (we are only human, after all), please do reply and state again that you have already flagged the review and are requesting further information on why it was not removed. 

 

  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks Dakota, it would be good to know why. You know it isn't that it matters so much to me, just curious, because I do try to tell people what they are buying. If the review had said the texture is bad then that would be fair as I said it was high quality, but it complained about the mesh, which I felt I described perfectly, and she agreed with my description - but that is what she didn't like about it 😞
 
Here are the results of my support ticket. I hope I am allowed to post it here.
 
I have an unfair product review, that I have already flagged. The review does not adhere to the Product Listing Review guidelines as it complains about a feature stated very clearly in the description, and even describing it almost exactly the way I describe it in the listing.
link to product removed
Please bring this ticket to the attention of the appropriate staff members who look at flagged reviews.
 
  • profile_image
    Jagix Linden
    said an hour ago
    Hello Reid,
     
    Thank you for contacting us. We have reviewed the information provided. Ultimately, you will be able to see the results of our investigation n your page, however, Support is unable to comment on what action may or may not be taken in regards to your report.
     
     
    We also encourage all Merchants to reply to every review that is posted on their products. If the review is reported, but not removed from the listing, then the Merchants Comments can help negate a negative review that may have been left by a customer.
     
    Best Regards, 
     
    Jagix Linden
    Account Specialist 
    Linden Lab
     
  • R
    Reid Parkin
    said 10 minutes ago
    thank you
 
I did put a comment under the review to explain, and this will help future buyers to decide. But I don't know how to prevent this in future and how to make it clearer what people are buying before they buy it, and become upset.
 
Following Dakota's advice I added this just now
 
Reid Parkin
I added this to my case
 
As advised by Dakota in the forums, I am requesting further information on why the review was not removed. Please see thread here
Edited by Reid Parkin
adding latest reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the outcome. 

Hello Reid,
 
Per your request, here are the results of the review of your flag:
 
There is plausible ambiguity in the description to be able to understand why the purchaser would feel like that they didn't get what they thought they purchased. This mostly stems from the phrase, "Very large planes with some slight curves and a high quality clean texture. The item is also supplied in a rough dirty form, which has its own appeal," in the description; it is not clearly stated to not be three-dimensional, and the word "planes" can be misunderstood as "plants" if not read carefully. Resident should alter description and post response to review.
 
We hope this information helps you make appropriate adjustments to your description to prevent future confusion with your customers.
 
Best Regards,
 
Jagix Linden
Account Specialist
Linden Lab
_____________________________________
 
I have made a comment under the review, so I think I will leave the description as it is.
An important message here is not to describe how beautiful your item is (I try not to do this), but to explain exactly what the person is buying.
 
And it is reassuring to know that the bad review reviewers are on top of things 
Edited by Reid Parkin
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Reid Parkin said:

and the word "planes" can be misunderstood as "plants" if not read carefully.

 

Jagix Linden
Account Specialist
Linden Lab

 

No amounts of 'WTF' will ever truly show how I feel about this.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Reid Parkin said:

and the word "planes" can be misunderstood as "plants" if not read carefully.

 
Jagix Linden
Account Specialist
Linden Lab
 

Image result for field of airplanes

Look at all those plants... 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Reid Parkin said:

The item is also supplied in a rough dirty form, which has its own appeal," in the description; it is not clearly stated to not be three-dimensional, and the word "planes" can be misunderstood as "plants" if not read carefully. Resident should alter description and post response to review.

 

I honestly can't see why a merchant should be held accountable for someone's reading habits. In this case, I'm surprised that they didn't remove the review but also caution you to change the wording so to remove any possibility of someone misunderstanding in the future. I also find it odd that we now have to state what something isn't instead of what it is!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I honestly can't see why a merchant should be held accountable for someone's reading habits. In this case, I'm surprised that they didn't remove the review but also caution you to change the wording so to remove any possibility of someone misunderstanding in the future. I also find it odd that we now have to state what something isn't instead of what it is!

Yes I learned a while back to list what is included and what is not included, in all caps. 

Not that everyone reads the description.

Edited by Pamela Galli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked for an explanation and I graciously accept it.

However, if any customer ever complains again that they lean towards the seller when removing reviews, then here is the proof that they don't.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reid Parkin said:

I asked for an explanation and I graciously accept it.

However, if any customer ever complains again that they lean towards the seller when removing reviews, then here is the proof that they don't.

 

I honestly wouldn't leave it at that. That one line I quoted before is just a load of BS. I would ask why a creator should be held accountable for illiterate customers. If they only skim read that is THEIR problem, it should NOT be yours.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One consolation:  I have a couple of flagged reviews being ignored, but for the dining set it has spurred sales, and I know why — people check out why the item is missing stars  and read the spurious review and think “Well pfft.”  Otherwise they might not have bothered to click.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

One consolation:  I have a couple of flagged reviews being ignored, but for the dining set it has spurred sales, and I know why — people check out why the item is missing stars  and read the spurious review and think “Well pfft.”  Otherwise they might not have bothered to click.

There’s a job opportunity, leave ridiculous reviews to increase sales! Example: “Would not fit in my mouth.” “1 LI is too much.” “Does not match my favorite dress.” “Does not bring me joy.” “Cost L$100, but I think it’s only worth L$99.”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, Reid Parkin said:

My item is described as 'very large planes with some slight curves and a high quality clean texture'.  This isn't hidden in a long description. It's on the second line of a short description.

I doubt very much that Plane is misread as Plant, but I do however imagine that someone buying a plane may not actually know what a plane is. It is 3d software speak,  not so much end user in SL buying a thing that they want to do another thing speak. I know what a plane is only because I have created them, use them often for things, but if I told a friend that does not, or a customer that does not, that my snow ground was a plane because the other side has no function, they may not know what that really meant. If we are going to misread that word in that sentence, it would be more likely read as 'planks' as in building materials, than plants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

I honestly wouldn't leave it at that. That one line I quoted before is just a load of BS. I would ask why a creator should be held accountable for illiterate customers. If they only skim read that is THEIR problem, it should NOT be yours.

I agree with this. It would be a lot more justifiable to tell the buyer she should have 'read carefully' rather than leaving the review because she may not have.

As for taking it further, the negative review doesn't bother me.....unless it started happening more often 😟

thanks everyone for your views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

I doubt very much that Plane is misread as Plant, but I do however imagine that someone buying a plane may not actually know what a plane is. It is 3d software speak,

I learned what a plane was in my freshman geometry class in high school. I knew what it was long before I ever learned how to sculpt in a 3D image program.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I learned what a plane was in my freshman geometry class in high school. I knew what it was long before I ever learned how to sculpt in a 3D image program.

But from the original description, would a casual user understand that it’s a single flat plane, vs. multiple planes? That question has been on my mind since yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But from the original description, would a casual user understand that it’s a single flat plane, vs. multiple planes? That question has been on my mind since yesterday.

I'm going to send you a link to the product in a PM so you can see for yourself. I think the description along with the photos included more than describe what is actually in the package. The package does contain multiple planes with different textures. No where in the description does it even remotely suggest that the leaves are 3D. I don't think the person even read the description or really looked at the pictures. This is a full perm product listed for an extremely low price IMO. The review is bogus .. plain and simple. Oh dear I used the word plain. :P 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...