Product Review no-no?

Reid Parkin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

51 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'm going to send you a link to the product in a PM so you can see for yourself. I think the description along with the photos included more than describe what is actually in the package. The package does contain multiple planes with different textures. No where in the description does it even remotely suggest that the leaves are 3D. I don't think the person even read the description or really looked at the pictures. This is a full perm product listed for an extremely low price IMO. The review is bogus .. plain and simple. Oh dear I used the word plain. :P 

Now that I see the item is “plants”..😹

23 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There’s a job opportunity, leave ridiculous reviews to increase sales! Example: “Would not fit in my mouth.” “1 LI is too much.” “Does not match my favorite dress.” “Does not bring me joy.” “Cost L$100, but I think it’s only worth L$99.”

Thank you for that idea! Yup, yup, yup; !nods, nods, nods~ Imagonnadoit.

As for the thread: I believe there are plausible answers on both sides: the OP and the CS Response. Though the OP did try to be clear in the description, it likely wasn't clear enough. 

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But from the original description, would a casual user understand that it’s a single flat plane, vs. multiple planes? That question has been on my mind since yesterday.

Actually - you have it, right, Love! "flat plane" is more descriptive than just "plane".

As for the snarky (okay, maybe not snarky, but looks snarky) responses like "WTF? and "I learned this word in 9th grade" - are irrelevant. (And if we're going there, I learned the meaning of hypotheses in 4th grade, so what...?). FACT: "Common sense" isn't common at all. Not to mention that many, many, many people in SL are not native English speakers. So a lot can be lost in translation. (Try using a web translator for the Chinese in my signature - it's not accurate, but the gist comes through).

I have to say I'm in the middle of the road on this one: I can see how both: OP and CS are right, and also how they are both wrong. It's just one of those things to learn from and we make adjustments to prevent a repeat of the scenario.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Actually - you have it, right, Love! "flat plane" is more descriptive than just "plane".

They could add, “2D not 3D”, also. Thanks!

*Edit* It’s my understanding that most non-mesh plants are multiple planes, thus not “flat” until you get close and look at a single plane.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Thank you for that idea! Yup, yup, yup; !nods, nods, nods~ Imagonnadoit.

As for the thread: I believe there are plausible answers on both sides: the OP and the CS Response. Though the OP did try to be clear in the description, it likely wasn't clear enough. 

As for the snarky (okay, maybe not snarky, but looks snarky) responses like "WTF? and "I learned this word in 9th grade" - are irrelevant. (And if we're going there, I learned the meaning of hypotheses in 4th grade, so what...?). FACT: "Common sense" isn't common at all. Not to mention that many, many, many people in SL are not native English speakers. So a lot can be lost in translation. (Try using a web translator for the Chinese in my signature - it's not accurate, but the gist comes through).

I have to say I'm in the middle of the road on this one: I can see how both: OP and CS are right, and also how they are both wrong. It's just one of those things to learn from and we make adjustments to prevent a repeat of the scenario.

A language barrier should not be the reason a bad review is left standing. That is still on the customer not the creator.

It's not snarky to go wtf when an LL employee says "Planes can totally be missread as plants!" It can't unless someone is reading fast or just skims over the post. If there was a language barrier see my line above.

A creator should not go out of their way to baby talk or go into ALL the detail ever just to evade silly reviews.

Common sense isn't common, I thoroughly agree with this, but once again, lack of common sense should NOT be the creators problem.

Edited by Syn Anatine

59 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

As for the snarky (okay, maybe not snarky, but looks snarky) responses like "WTF? and "I learned this word in 9th grade"

I didn't say "WTF" at all. I was not being snarky but saying the term "plane" is not just a computer graphics term. It really is a very basic term in geometry. Who is really being snarky here?

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I didn't say "WTF" at all. I was not being snarky but saying the term "plane" is not just a computer graphics term. It really is a very basic term in geometry. Who is really being snarky here?

I think she was calling us both snarky. Me for the WTF and you for the geometry statement.

We're in a club now, this is our pin:

snarky_but_sweet_3_cm_round_badge-r9f53c

• Thanks 1

In all my years of selling on the MP, I have flagged only two reviews. One years ago which still stands to this day, and another that I'm currently waiting on but won't hold my breath for a favorable outcome now. I won't be flagging any others because this has left me with no confidence in the moderation of reviews by the Lab. This is really disheartening to me because I do tend to be a LL fangirl.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh it actually is a plant, I thought from what was said earlier " My item is described as 'very large planes with some slight curves and a high quality clean texture'.  This isn't hidden in a long description. It's on the second line of a short description. it was sheets of planes with small curves for like building or something and the customer did not get what they expected, but if the picture was a plant, well that makes sense that LL said they could have read it as plant, that was where my plank part came in building pieces. 

@Blush Bravin I would not have put the two together in RL and SL to be honest. my partner builds everything mathematically, my bestie builds everything organically and I snap her things to the grid so that he does not tell her again why they should be :). Planes have not come up since school until SL and creating them, to connect the two would have been a ohhhhhhh like blah blah moment, so again not something most shopping on MP casual user of SL may have. 

5 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

Oh it actually is a plant, I thought from what was said earlier " My item is described as 'very large planes with some slight curves and a high quality clean texture'.  This isn't hidden in a long description. It's on the second line of a short description. it was sheets of planes with small curves for like building or something and the customer did not get what they expected, but if the picture was a plant, well that makes sense that LL said they could have read it as plant, that was where my plank part came in building pieces. 

@Blush Bravin I would not have put the two together in RL and SL to be honest. my partner builds everything mathematically, my bestie builds everything organically and I snap her things to the grid so that he does not tell her again why they should be :). Planes have not come up since school until SL and creating them, to connect the two would have been a ohhhhhhh like blah blah moment, so again not something most shopping on MP casual user of SL may have. 

Sassy if you look up the object in Reid's MP you'll see that the listing is very clear. I don't see how the customer could not have known what she was buying unless she simply did not read the description or look at all the pictures given as examples.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Sassy if you look up the object in Reid's MP you'll see that the listing is very clear. I don't see how the customer could not have known what she was buying unless she simply did not read the description or look at all the pictures given as examples.

I was going by the original post info only, and then confused by the LL assumption, but now knowing it was not an assumption of the word plants all is good. I still consider Plane to be more of a back end wordage, as it is a plane we use to create other things same as we use cubes or cylinders etc. Calling something a plane when it is not just a flat object can confuse the issue, but I understand now it being a plant the usage was to explain the lack of back faces etc, I think many got a bit confused by plane created objects when mesh first came out, I would not say as mentioned earlier that my snowdrift or sand piles are planes, because it is not necessary in that context, but plants you do move around them differently so the invisible aspect could make or break the desire of that type of plant. Thanks for clearing it up Blush, always on the look out for good plants.

Edit : look at that not only is his store named mesh plants, I have used them for Hair Fair in the past \o/

Edited by Sasy Scarborough
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

I want to happily report that the review I was waiting on was indeed removed. My faith has been restored. I'm sooooooooooo grateful! :D 

Did you have to file a ticket? 

On principle I usually file a ticket (and refile when they tell me to flag again and close the ticket) because people should learn the purpose of a review, but I find I don’t care as much about principle anymore.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

In all my years of selling on the MP, I have flagged only two reviews. One years ago which still stands to this day, and another that I'm currently waiting on but won't hold my breath for a favorable outcome now. I won't be flagging any others because this has left me with no confidence in the moderation of reviews by the Lab. This is really disheartening to me because I do tend to be a LL fangirl.

In my country we have a saying that can be translated something like "A No you always have, a Yes you can get." So, why not just flag it anyway, but without high expectations, it only takes a minute. If it gets removed in the end - great, if not - oh well, at least you tried. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Did you have to file a ticket? 

On principle I usually file a ticket (and refile when they tell me to flag again and close the ticket) because people should learn the purpose of a review, but I find I don’t care as much about principle anymore.

4 hours ago, Elvina Ewing said:

In my country we have a saying that can be translated something like "A No you always have, a Yes you can get." So, why not just flag it anyway, but without high expectations, it only takes a minute. If it gets removed in the end - great, if not - oh well, at least you tried. :)

I didn't file a ticket. I didn't have to. Honestly, the review was so outlandish I was pretty sure it would get removed, but after seeing what happened with Reid, I wasn't so sure anymore.

As for flagging in the future, I'll flag if I feel it's warranted, but in the over 10 years that I've had a MP store, I've only had two occasions when I felt a review was completely in error and no resolution was possible. Anytime I've received a less than positive review, I contacted the customer and did my best to resolve the issue. I typically ended up with a glowing review after doing so. So I'm still left with the one totally bogus review on my other product, but I can live with it. 

Edited by Blush Bravin

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:02 AM, Luna Bliss said:

Oh great, miss-the-point merchant has entered the thread.

I made that snarky comment because someone entered the thread saying nasty, untrue things about Reid. It must have been reported, as comments have been both changed and removed now.

Anyway, Reid, on the rare occasion someone has been upset about a billboard type plant using mesh alpha planes I point out the LI savings using the billboard and they then choose the billboard plant over a "true mesh" or 3 dimensional plant. In the case of your vine, I bet a complex 3 dimensional one stretched to 16 m would be way over 1 LI -- don't know if it would help to demonstrate that to this particular customer, but maybe worth a try.

I do love the 3 dimensional plants for their realism, but one can link two mesh alpha plane plant groupings of 10 plants each together and get 20 plants using only 1 LI!  Can you imagine the LI for a tall truly 3 dimensional tree?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I made that snarky comment because someone entered the thread saying nasty, untrue things about Reid. It must have been reported, as comments have been both changed and removed now.

Anyway, Reid, on the rare occasion someone has been upset about a billboard type plant using mesh alpha planes I point out the LI savings using the billboard and they then choose the billboard plant over a "true mesh" or 3 dimensional plant. In the case of your vine, I bet a complex 3 dimensional one stretched to 16 m would be way over 1 LI -- don't know if it would help to demonstrate that to this particular customer, but maybe worth a try.

I do love the 3 dimensional plants for their realism, but one can link two mesh alpha plane plant groupings of 10 plants each together and get 20 plants using only 1 LI!  Can you imagine the LI for a tall truly 3 dimensional tree?

I sent the link of edge not for AD but to show the original model

Same for the cactus , very easy to check

Orchid plant 7*2 , oops more subtle, good clue too

Edited by faireye3
typo

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

are you sure you well done ?

38 minutes ago, faireye3 said:

are you sure you well done ?

Faireye,

Perhaps you're not aware...there are models we can get from other places that are legal.

You are accusing Reid of doing something illegal when you have no proof.

Stop accusing Reid, stop harassing me in PM.....I will report you for harassment if you continue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Who is Reid and why do they need a knight in shining armor :o

I have a feeling Luna replied to a post that was removed by the moderators afterwards.

As for who Reid is, he makes plants and he's also uploaded properly SL-optimized versions of open source plants originally made by others for other platforms. I make my own plants of course but if I didn't, there are about half a dozen plant makers/merchants I would be happy to buy from. He's one of them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.