Formal requirements for becoming a *real* builder

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is a spinoff from the Weird Download Impact Calculation thread. We got into a digression that is too important too ignore so I thought I'd start a separate thread for it: What does it take to become a builder?

I think we need some kind of point system since there are many achievements that should count and we can't really expect anybody to have done them all.

This is still an early draft and everything is up to discussion but to get it started, how about one point for each achievement (with some exceptions), repeating the same achievement does not count (except for some exceptions) and five grades:

• 1 point: Apprentice Builder
  • 3 points: Journeyman Builder
  • 6 points: Builder
  • 10 points: Master Builder
  • 15 points: Grand Master Builder
  • 30 Points: Senex Dictus Artifex

We will have to adjust the numbers of points as the list of qualifying achievements grow or it will become too easy.

Some achievements that count:

• Forget to change the physics shape of a mesh to prim and then spend ages trying to figure out why the physics is wrong (only applicable after you have learned about it)
  • Forget to include a physics model in your mesh upload and then spend ages trying to figure out why you can't change it to prim physics (only applicable after you have learned about it)
  • Accidentally delete your work platform 1,000 m or more up in the air while you stand on it (two points if you manage to do it even after you've locked the platform to avoid exactly that)
  • Whilst working on a platform 1,000 m or more up in the air: rez a huge object on top of your avatar forcing him/her through the platform.
  • Fall off the platform whilst being so preoccupied with your build you don't notice.
  • Spend three days working on a build withut noticing some joker has put a mouse (or other critter) rezzer on your platform and you're wading in mice (or other critters).
  • Retexture a huge linkset when you only intended to change one face of it.
  • Accidentally unlink a linkset with at least 100 parts (two points if the linkset is physical, one if it isn't).
  • Send you build off so far into the distance it's lost forever (may give up to three points: one for doing it manually, one for doing it with a script and one for doing it by unlinking across a sim border).
  • Upload a mesh with physics so heavy it overloads a sim all on its own.
  • Upload a texture with a rougue alpha channel (one point if you do it once or on rare occasions, minus ten points if you do it consistently)
  • Trying to drop a texture onto an object, but put it on a plants alpha plane, which happened to be infront of your object (two points if the plant is No Copy, and isn't your own creation, so you don't have the original texture to fix it afterwards)
  • Sell something full perm that wasn't supposed to be full perm (under certain circumstances an incident may qualify even if the object is no modify)
  • Send sales items to you merchant alt no transfer.
  • Mess up the permissions of distributed objects by changing them in inventory.
  • Accidentally and permanently delete a unique and valuable build (may qualify for more than one point if it's very valuable and/or difficult to reconstruct)
  • Forget about autoreturn, and find your build has been returned in completely nonsensical coalescenced bundles.
  • Forget where you left your build, and spend hours looking for it.
  • Set your build to physical by mistake, and watch it explode all over the sim.
  • Forget to name your build. You know it's in your inventory somewhere, but so are 10,000 other entries for "Object" (or whatever default name you mesh software uses).
  • Discover some item you made but can't for your life remember.
  • Try to scrub an object that contains one or more scrubber sensitive scripts.
  • Spend at least 15 minutes trying to figure out why a script doesn't work before noticing it's not set to active.
  • Spend at least 15 minutes trying to figure out why a script doesn't work before noticing you're on a parcel with scripts disabled.
  • Loose some very small and/or invisible object (such as jewelry) on a parcel with no autoreturn.
  • Rez a huge megaprim in a public sandbox without meaning to (only counts if there are other active avatars within range)
  • Spend at least 15 minutes looking for the self delete script without checking wether object is temp first.
  • Permanently loose a build by setting it to temporary by accident.
  • Filling a sim to capacity by forgetting to set items rezzed by a temp rezzer to temporary.
Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So ..... the more of these mistakes you make, the more points you accrue toward becoming a Grand Master Builder?  I suppose that makes sense, as long as you learn from making the mistakes and don't keep repeating them.  The best way to learn is to try things and see what happens when you screw up.  😎

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

11 points for me. Happily none from recent times but I now have my building platform LOCKED (most of the time) so that helps. 

Aww, that reminds me, there must be an extra point if you still manage to delete your platform after you've locked it. I added that to the list.

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK. Then 12 points for me. 

And 21 for me.

But don't worry, there will be more. This is just an early draft remember, I'm sure people will add other ways to gain points. I think the reason me and Ana score so high for now, is that the list mainly contain the achievements we are aware of. That should change as others start contributing.

But as I said, we may have to adjust the requirements for the grades accordingly too.

51 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Hehe.   In that case, you need to add one final level:  Ultimate Master Screwup Builder😁

Or maybe Senex dictus artifex?

Edit: Added it to the list for now.

Edited by ChinRey

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

where is "spend 15 minutes looking for the self delete script section without checking wether object is temp first"?

It's not a complete list yet.

But it's a good one and I still have time to edit the post, so I added it - and also another temp object related achievement.

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It's not a complete list yet.

But it's a good one and I still have time to edit the post, so I added it - and also another temp object related achievement.

NOT setting an object to temp when it should be.

I filled up an entire sim with butterflies once. I only noticed when rezzing became impossible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ana Stubbs said:

NOT setting an object to temp when it should be.

I filled up an entire sim with butterflies once. I only noticed when rezzing became impossible.

Added to the list. But it only counts if it goes so far you actually fill up the sim.

Searching the Jira up and down, for an hour or two, while cursing about Linden Lab, and their faulty implementation of LSL, just to find out it was entirely your own scripting mistake in the first place. 🤪

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I think we need some kind of point system

Do we, though? Do we really? What benefit does this point system bring us that we don't already get by asking "can you do X?" (Especially since this is an ambiguation of different skills towards a single score. We would still have to ask that question.)

And why should mistakes count as achievements worthy of proving how "experienced" a "builder" is?

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:
  • Mess up the permissions of distributed objects by changing them in inventory.
  • Accidentally and permanently delete a unique and valuable build (may qualify for more than one point if it's very valuable and/or difficult to reconstruct)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

10 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Do we, though? Do we really? What benefit does this point system bring us that we don't already get by asking "can you do X?" (Especially since this is an ambiguation of different skills towards a single score. We would still have to ask that question.)

And why should mistakes count as achievements worthy of proving how "experienced" a "builder" is?

Ummm... Wulfie, are you absolutely sure you're not taking things a little bit too seriously here? ;)

21 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Probably. It happens. :(

No need for a sad face. But here's a hint: see what Google Translate makes of the Latin title for the highest grade.

Edit:

There is actually a serious side to it. As Rolig said, we do (hopefully) learn from mistakes, we make mistakes when we try to push the limits (and that's a good thing) and many of those facepalmingly stupid things we all do are because we are so focused on something we forget everything else. And of course, the more time you spend building, the more likely you are to accumulate points.

I don't actually think you can excel in anything without making a lot of stupid mistakes on the way.

Edited by ChinRey

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I don't actually think you can excel in anything without making a lot of stupid mistakes on the way.

And some of the mistakes we make have nothing to do with the specifics of building anything. During the bulk of my code writing career, the process of getting software into a thing for testing was Write/Edit->Compile->Link->Convert to download format->Download->Run/Test. I can't count how many times I spent 10 minutes wondering why the most drastic changes in my code had no effect during testing, until I realized I'd accidentally dropped a step in the workflow.

I also can't count how many times I've disassembled something in RL, and forgot a part when reassembling it. I have a pickle jar filled with leftover parts from repair projects, enough to make me wonder... if I disassembled/reassembled something enough times, would I end up with enough spare parts to make another one?

We're marvelous imperfect creatures and it's fun to marvel at the imperfections.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.