What do you think about morphs?

ErikaKotov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Had a bit of a fight with someone in world for just defending why I like morphs. I think they look good there are some good morphs and some really bad morphs. I understand if you're going to sell a skin and use a morph as a vendor that's a bit misleading. I'm on the fence 50/50 on that. I know people pay up to 2K for a morph on flickr.

So I would like to know about everyone else's opinion on them?

34 minutes ago, ErikaKotov said:

Had a bit of a fight with someone in world for just defending why I like morphs. I think they look good there are some good morphs and some really bad morphs. I understand if you're going to sell a skin and use a morph as a vendor that's a bit misleading. I'm on the fence 50/50 on that. I know people pay up to 2K for a morph on flickr.

I refuse to purchase from a vendor that contains a morphed image on the ad. I want to see what that skin or hair looks like fully on a Second Life avatar, not what it looks like plastered - however skilfully - onto a real life model. Yes, I could pick up a demo and try for myself, but morphed ad images are misleading, since we don't only take in the actual item on sale when it comes to considering a purchase; we take in the surrounding areas of the image and how that affects us and makes us feel, too.

With regard to morphed vanity shots on, say, Flickr? It's a personal choice, and personally I don't like them. They feel lazy (regardless of how much work has gone into the actual morphing) because the person in the image has put their face on a real life image of 'perfection'. It's as if they feel the avatar isn't 'good enough'. But I guess that's no different from the morphing and photoshopping that goes on in beauty and fashion ads everywhere.

In short: not a fan, but that's just my preference.

• Like 10

I have some hairs whose seller used morphs on the ad images, at first I didn't notice, but since I already knew the hairs are good I wasn't bothered by it. I would say it's a bit weird in my opinion for people to use morphs to sell Second Life products though, I much prefer actual SL avis in the images just like Skell. 

• Like 2

Personal images, no problem with them. I have seen some I like, many I think look bad, but no need to be rude, yes?

Vendors is really not good. I remember a skin ad, the first I saw an ad morphed with a SL skin and Renderosity hair. The Flickr and skin group light up with questions where to buy that hair. It looked so much better than SL hair. Remember this was some years ago. I think the skin seller redid the vendor image to escape from all the questions.

I understand you mean RL images and not Renderosity, and there I feel it is laziness from the seller. If you choose a pretty RL image and use some blending around the face instead of bothering to make a nice avatar and pose him/her in SL, then I wonder what other shortcuts you take.

I choose to buy or not buy, I might take a demo. I am not impressed by morphs in ads, they make me skeptical.

Edited by Marianne Little
typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the point of using morphs to sell something, i agree that that is misleading the customer. With the current phototools available it is perfectly possible to make a very good looking and accurate shot of an avatar. As far as using morphs for personal vanity i have no issues with it. Not my cuppa tea but to each their own.

• Like 1

In adds, I find them to be misleading, because they show something that I simply will not get when purchasing the product. Especially if its body related, like skin for example. Thats one case, where I'm even going as far as assuming a malicious intend from the creator.

In terms of personal pictures: I feel like the majority is absolutly terrible and I sometimes get a really uncomfortable feeling looking that those mixes between SL and RL bodies.

• Like 1

If it's just for flickr pics ,have at it..If it's for selling skins and things like that and they have to lay on the blur over the details plus morphing to an RL pic..

It's deceptive and feels really sneaky to me..I don't care for them one bit..

With how well mesh avatars look nowadays I see no reason for it..Not only will I not buy from them that time..But more than likely, won't even bother to give a look at any other things afterwards..

I've seen some so badly blurred with the blur tool that the nostrils were about the only thing spared from blur..

I just click away,right away now..

2 hours ago, purrrkitten said:

Do you mean when creators use an outside program to show clothes in an ad instead of on an avi?

A popular clothing creator does that. The clothes still look good in SL, but it def looks better on the morph. I guess that's the point tho.

I mean the difference between these attached pics.  Both are great but the ad with 3 models is an SL avatar.  The other ad with 1 model is NOT a SL avatar but a model from a program like Blender or something similar.  Considering that we, as SL consumers, pay for these goods sold in SL, the creators/designers should also help others in the SL by using a viewer platform to take their pics, using a SL model or any other SL avatar (including themselves) in the pics and by using poses created by other SL creators.  It just more sense to me to keep the SL economy going by doing that.  Just my opinion (which sort of got off the morph topic - sorry).

AZ.PNG

EB.PNG

39 minutes ago, Linda Reddevil said:

I mean the difference between these attached pics.  Both are great but the ad with 3 models is an SL avatar.  The other ad with 1 model is NOT a SL avatar but a model from a program like Blender or something similar.  Considering that we, as SL consumers, pay for these goods sold in SL, the creators/designers should also help others in the SL by using a viewer platform to take their pics, using a SL model or any other SL avatar (including themselves) in the pics and by using poses created by other SL creators.  It just more sense to me to keep the SL economy going by doing that.  Just my opinion (which sort of got off the morph topic - sorry).

You can always FLAG a Market Place listing when the advertising image is not that same as the product being sold. Meaning that if the image is showing a Blender Ray-Traced image - it is a flaggable offense unless an in-world SL picture is also included. From what I've seen, they can be pretty strict about that.

As for the second "SL" example: This is why all *smart* shoppers practice the "Demo or no sale" rule, because MP images like that are an intentional misdirection of the actual quality of the product.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ErikaKotov said:

It's false advertising, which is illegal in the US. The difficulty lies in proving false advertising, which is why advertisers get away with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Personal images, no problem with them. I have seen some I like, many I think look bad, but no need to be rude, yes?

Vendors is really not good. I remember a skin ad, the first I saw an ad morphed with a SL skin and Renderosity hair. The Flickr and skin group light up with questions where to buy that hair. It looked so much better than SL hair. Remember this was some years ago. I think the skin seller redid the vendor image to escape from all the questions.

I understand you mean RL images and not Renderosity, and there I feel it is laziness from the seller. If you choose a pretty RL image and use some blending around the face instead of bothering to make a nice avatar and pose him/her in SL, then I wonder what other shortcuts you take.

I choose to buy or not buy, I might take a demo. I am not impressed by morphs in ads, they make me skeptical.

My sentiments exactly.

For fun to practice your PS or just because you like it, go for it. For ads, no for all the reasons mentioned and the economy one the most, it is great to show you support other content and vice versa, I have seen a store wear another store and then the other store see they did and go shopping in their store etc and so on, it is a nice compliment to creators when other creators wear their items to feature their own, it means they hold that item in as high regard as they do themselves. 

18 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I remember a skin ad, the first I saw an ad morphed with a SL skin and Renderosity hair. The Flickr and skin group light up with questions where to buy that hair. It looked so much better than SL hair. Remember this was some years ago. I think the skin seller redid the vendor image to escape from all the questions.

I remember this being a thing for a bit, I remember one particular skinner doing it and people got really upset with what they saw as her saying sl hair was not good enough, it was not her intent, it was just because she found these fun hairstyles already made to add to her pics and she was having fun, sometimes that is all it is, but she understood the need to return to wearing SL content instead. Not sure if the same person, but everyone likes playing with new toys :)

For individuals, their personal use-profile pics, just for fun, etc.. whatever tickles your pickle, I say. They're not MY thing, but, hey, knock yourself out!

For advertisement use..no, just no, and there is no other answer, for me, besides no. If you're selling me something for sl, I want to know what it looks like in sl. If you're selling me a wearable for an sl av, I want to see what it looks like on an sl av. I don't give a rat's left nut if the end product is done amazingly well, if you're not going to show me what it really looks like, in sl, or on an sl av, I'm not buying. (so those renders people use, can kick rocks, imo) But I also feel the same about product ads that I think are over processed, too. I really like seeing how things look in their natural state, with little to no, enhancement I suppose is the word I should use. I already have difficulty seeing a great deal of things, so it chaps my hide to no end when people make that worse for me-even if they don't know they're making it worse. I am really spiteful (not sure that's really the best term), but I will forever hold it against someone when they screw something up, for me, by over processing the ad/photo(s) of the item. I doubt many others feel nearly as strongly as I do about the processing part, which might be attributed to the fact that they, themselves, can probably see it way better and very well may be able to get the item to look VERY similar-if not identical-to the ad. I don't have that luxury....so, please, show me what it really looks like, especially on the MP where it literally costs you nothing to add a pic to the listing. Hell use your over processed pic too, I *might* still consider buying, if you also include a REAL pic without that extra frufru-ness. I know so many amazingly talented creators that sell themselves way short just because of how they make their ads, and subsequently their products, look. 

I loathe shopping anyway, though, so, take my opinion with a grain of salt on that, I am beyond picky about some of the weirdest things. Clothes are actually the least of my concerns, I only buy new ones a couple times a year, if even. I mostly buy building supplies, decor, vehicles, my animals, things like that, lol.  I can only imagine how nitpicky I'd be if I bought clothes more often, lmao. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.