Can someone explain...

Janet Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh hii. :3

I'm the one that was asking about the arm. ❤️ Sorry if I goofed around.

I've seen numerous posts here about people looking for stuff so .. I naturally thought it had to be avatar-related?

But if I made a boo boo xcuse me :3 

Edited by ErukaVonD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ErukaVonD said:

I've seen numerous posts here about people looking for stuff so .. I naturally thought it had to be avatar-related?

I saw when you posted, and now I must go to "Wanted" and see what suggestions you got. I wouldn't have seen it unless it was here in Your Avatar first. ☺️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I think it is a bit silly, but so it is.

You’re right!

The reason I’m asking is because some posts get reported immediately. Some don’t get reported at all. A quarter of the posts on the first page are someone asking for suggestions on something.

Its inconsistent and it appears to be unfair. So I’m wondering what’s up with that?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you want a specific avatar, not a body part, can you post that here? Or can you only “talk about your avatar”?

On 8/29/2018 at 4:47 PM, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings!

Just a friendly reminder to be careful when creating new posts and threads.  

The Your Avatar section should be used for discussions about Second Life Avatars. 

If you are looking for a specific avatar, style, or item, please post to the Wanted section

If you are seeking someone who can help you make an Avatar, please post to the Inworld Employment section.

If you seek help with creating your own content, please post in one of the Creation sub-forums.

Thank you all!

54 minutes ago, ErukaVonD said:

it's not a sin, but the sticky posts are at top of a section for a reason  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

The Your Avatar section should be used for discussions about Second Life Avatars. 

Example proposed post: 

“I met this other avatar once, and they were really cool. He was like, you know, an avatar. Did anyone else ever meet any cool avatars?”

51 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Example proposed post: 

“I met this other avatar once, and they were really cool. He was like, you know, an avatar. Did anyone else ever meet any cool avatars?”

thats not what you said initially

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you want a specific avatar, not a body part, can you post that here? Or can you only “talk about your avatar”?

and i didn't say that, but Dakota did.

2 hours ago, janetosilio said:

You’re right!

The reason I’m asking is because some posts get reported immediately. Some don’t get reported at all. A quarter of the posts on the first page are someone asking for suggestions on something.

Its inconsistent and it appears to be unfair. So I’m wondering what’s up with that?

Yeah, sorry, but I think moving (and reporting it in the first place) was silly. The "Wanted" forum gets a fraction of the views that the posts here get: you're much more likely to get a useful response here. Also, we have a great community here that is, in large measure, all about helping each other find stuff for our avatars.

There's occasionally a kind of overly-fastidious (dare I say *****?) obsession here with categories and derails that really doesn't help making this place vibrant and useful.

(ETA: Apparently I dare not say *****, because it will be censored. Yeeeeesh.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Ok, people. Some words just mean what they mean. They're legitimate parts of the language. Get over it.
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Example proposed post: 

thats not what you said initially

I know that, I was proposing that my example would be a valid post under this topic.

17 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

presumably no-one reported the one for the catsuits? Neither is ok here, they both belong in the Wanted section.

Actually, I believe when looking for something specifically for your avatar that it would be just fine posting it here. The "wanted" section is for anything and everything. But if looking for a particular type of skin, hair, any other Avatar-specific augmentation then I would intentionally post it in this forum.

18 hours ago, janetosilio said:

Why asking for catsuit recommendations is ok to be here, but asking for Android arm recommendations is not?

Just curious.

Because some people tend to take "goose-stepping" attitudes toward things meant as a general guideline and apply their meanings to the most restrictive definition of meaning as possible. It doesn't mean they're wrong, but it doesn't mean they're right, either.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, sorry, but I think moving (and reporting it in the first place) was silly. The "Wanted" forum gets a fraction of the views that the posts here get: you're much more likely to get a useful response here. Also, we have a great community here that is, in large measure, all about helping each other find stuff for our avatars.

There's occasionally a kind of overly-fastidious (dare I say *****?) obsession here with categories and derails that really doesn't help making this place vibrant and useful.

(ETA: Apparently I dare not say *****, because it will be censored. Yeeeeesh.)

Yeah, something has to happen because at a glance you see a section titled “Avatar” some people are going to think anything avatar related goes. The sticky helps, but the sticky is poorly worded, as seen by the responses in the sticky thread itself, which means a lot of people aren’t going to read it at all.

As for the thread policing, I’ll keep my opinion to myself. I will say if it’s not consistently done, it doesn’t look good.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

As for the thread policing, I’ll keep my opinion to myself. I will say if it’s not consistently done, it doesn’t look good.

I was thinking, wouldn’t asking mods to move a post to the proper place be better than asking them to re-post it there?

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking, wouldn’t asking mods to move a post to the proper place be better than asking them to re-post it there?

What’s the difference between those two things? Someone reports a post as not being in the appropriate place it gets moved to the appropriate place. That’s not hard to understand.

Thats not what I started this thread for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

What are you asking?

I was not asking anything, I was explaining my statement earlier, to which you replied with a question, as follows:

9 minutes ago, janetosilio said:
17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What’s the difference between those two things?

Unless you meant, “What do I (Love) do when I report a post for being in the wrong forum?” The answer is, I don’t report posts for that.

40 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That’s a question and you quoted me. I asked you what the difference between the two is, because either one of those things could have happened. That’s really not important. In fact both of those things happened.

Someone posted a question about a robot arm or something. The first response was instead of responding to the question, a copypasta of the rules. Someone obviously reported it because it got moved.

The issue here is there are posts that clearly don’t belong, right now on the first page. So reporting some of them isn’t a good choice nor is selectively copy pasting a “reminder” of the rules. They’re equally bad choices. The issue is the lack of consistency and the arbitrary nature of choosing what stays and what should be moved.

Edited by janetosilio
Clarity
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, janetosilio said:

The issue here is there are posts that clearly don’t belong, right now on the first page. So reporting some of them isn’t a good choice nor is selectively copy pasting a “reminder” of the rules. They’re equally bad choices. The issue is the lack of consistency and the arbitrary nature of choosing what stays and what should be moved.

THIS.

I see it this way: quietly reporting a post to have it moved is the *polite* way of doing things. Responding to a post with rules or a statement to "go post at that other place" is a rude, ... [Moderator Edit: Inflammatory language removed]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

Greetings all!

Technically, this question should have been asked in the Forum Feedback section, since the question is about the forums themselves and where some types of posts should go, and how that process is moderated.  :)

As others have pointed out, sometimes a moderator will see a post and move it automatically, other times, someone will report a post and it will be moved from the report. 

Some times a post  (or necro post)  wont be seen by a moderator or reported, and will remain in the section where it was originally posted.  

Most of the sections of the forums are for discussions.  The Your Avatar area is for discussing avatars, both yours and others. 

If a user is looking for something specific it really should go into the Wanted forum, since it is something that is wanted, and not just something being discussed. 

There certainly can be, and sometimes are, differences between the two.  If someone is asking what others think is the "best" hair, shoes, clothing, body, etc., we would view that more as a discussion about what everyone's favorites are.  If someone posts saying they are looking for red mesh hair that is just below the shoulders,  (or as mentioned, a cyber arm) then we would consider that a post that should be in the Wanted section since the user is actually looking for something specific. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.