Sharing objects that use library textures

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have built a small object using a few prims "linked" to make one object and also using one of the textures in the "Library" part of my inventory.

To sell this item on the Marketplace do I need to copy that library texture into my Inventory (meaning not the Library part of the inventory) and then into the same folder as the object, and then package it all up with the texture included?

Or will the next owner 100% definitely have the same texture in their library and it will know to use that?

30 minutes ago, livb89 said:

Or will the next owner 100% definitely have the same texture in their library and it will know to use that?

They will 100% definitely have the same textures in their library. Whether they know how to use that is a different question though.

I get the impression you are talking about boxed lessons for beginner builders here and if that is the case, do not expect them to be able to figure it out.

Edited by ChinRey

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

They will 100% definitely have the same textures in their library. Whether they know how to use that is a different question though.

Thanks. I meant will their *viewer* automatically use that texture from the library of anyone who buys this item? i.e. without the user having to do anything.

Or do I need to make a copy and package that up?

Edited by livb89

Just now, livb89 said:

Thanks. I meant with their *viewer* automatically use that texture from the library of anyone who buys this item?

Oh, I see.

Yes, it will. It's never necessary to include the textures themselves unless it's for some sort of diy thingy.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, livb89 said:

So presumably...  if I had uploaded a custom texture I would have to include that one in my "package" ?

No.

And if you had used a purchased texture, you wouldn't even have been allowed to.

Textures displayed inworld are not fecthed from anybody's inventory, they come from a set of servers that store every single texture that exist in SL.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1

All it does is capture the UUID of the texture in order to fetch it when the object is rezzed, so  whether you're using a library texture or a custom one,you don't need to include the texture itself and the user of the product doesn;t need to own the texture as well. Even if you delete the texture from your inventory later, the UUID, and the image on the servers, will still exist.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.