Server issues?

bigmoe Whitfield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, bigmoe Whitfield said:

So I've pulled our last version out,  took the new change back out, replacing it with the old change,  recompile and it works and throws no errors.   So something is not liking the next variable. 

It useta be, scripts wouldn’t compile if source was over a certain size (65535? # lines?)

Internal server compile error, it shows no script errors at all.   if it was a script error it would of told me where instead of saying at the bottom it was a server problem.

No. Compilers are not reliable source indicators. A un-runable script can compile.

Just now, steph Arnott said:

No. Compilers are not reliable source indicators. A un-runable script can compile.

I think you are missing the whole point,  it's not showing me where in the script the issue is, it's only telling me "Internal server compile error"  no indications WHERE it's broken, so I have no idea WHERE to fix it, if I knew what line out of the 32 was causing it, I would go in and fix it.  I had to back out 9 lines and put old code into it, to get it to recompile, but that's not what we want to do here,  our newest change needs to go into those 9 lines,  but if the server throws an error and we have no idea WHATS causing it,  then is it server or is it script.  right now it's saying server compiler error

I think you are missing the whole point,  it's not showing me where in the script the issue is, it's only telling me "Internal server compile error"  no indications WHERE it's broken, so I have no idea WHERE to fix it, if I knew what line out of the 32 was causing it, I would go in and fix it.  I had to back out 9 lines and put old code into it, to get it to recompile, but that's not what we want to do here,  our newest change needs to go into those 9 lines,  but if the server throws an error and we have no idea WHATS causing it,  then is it server or is it script.  right now it's saying server compiler error

Well an 'Internal server compile error' does not allow anyone to answer you question.

Just now, steph Arnott said:

Well an 'Internal server compile error' does not allow anyone to answer you question.

that's all it says, if it gave a syntax error as to where, I could pull that line of the script and paste it, but since no indications.  it seems the script it borked and nobody else in SL is having this issue.  I'll go ahead and get this topic closed. thanks.....

Before you close this thread, I have a couple long-shot ideas...

Firstly, have you tried moving to different simulators and attempting to compile there? Perhaps you're on a release candidate server and have encountered some strange new bug... You can check what server version you're on by going to Help > About Second Life > Info tab. I forget the exact wording , but if you see something like Magnum, LeTigre, or BlueSteel, then the sim you're in is running on RC code.

Secondly, does your code have any special unicode characters in it? Maybe some strange formatting getting copied from the repository? Under normal circumstances, I would think that the viewer's interface for writing scripts would be able to handle and scrub whatever is thrown at it, but doing a sanity check can't hurt. Something like copying+pasting the code to notepad and then copying+pasting that into the viewer. Again, I'd be surprised if this did anything, but it's better to be sure.

Lastly, definitely followup and write a jira as Whirly suggests. Internal Server errors generally sound like something out of the users' hands so the devs should take a look.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

File a JIRA issue in BUG & set the issue security to "triagers & reporter" so it's not public, then you can post the code.

Stop posting a JIRA for every excuse as to why a script fails. 99% is the script writters fault. That is NOT what the JIRA is for. All these knee jerk JIRAs push off priority listings of genuine bug etc issues.

Edited by steph Arnott
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

File a JIRA issue in BUG & set the issue security to "triagers & reporter" so it's not public, then you can post the code.

Also stop making random reactions which do not even match the comment. You have no idea how the script is constructed and your first and as often response it to clog the JIRA up.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, steph Arnott said:

Stop posting a JIRA for every excuse as to why a script fails. 99% is the script writters fault. That is NOT what the JIRA is for. All these knee jerk JIRAs push off priority listings of genuine bug etc issues.

Helpful as ever.
"Internal server compile error" is rather interesting & could be a bug.
Better to file a possible bug then not bother to file it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Helpful as ever.
"Internal server compile error" is rather interesting & could be a bug.
Better to file a possible bug then not bother to file it.

And where is your logic conclussion to that? We have not seen the script so you are just guessing. The JIRA is so back logged with garbage that LL do not even bother any more. This page and many groups in SL are set up to work out script issues. If the person thinks their thirty two line script is new they are in for a reality shock because a thousand before have written the same.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I wish I could post the script, but it's an internal dev version a group of us are working on, but each time I got to compile it, I am getting  "Internal server compile error" and no specific error on whats wrong in the script,  so is SL broken? 

Just to tell, you are not alone on that one - as Love Zhaoying says, a solution is to a make a new script and replace the not working one - sometimes you even have to replace the prime in which the script is found. Now this can be pain, if say prims depend on it, but only solution.

Occasionally I experience for example UUID sounds or a UUID texture does not work, no matter what I do, like reset script et. To me it looks like more some asset fault than server issues.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.