I rent a skybox that derezzes when I'm not there

Domitiille

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I did not know that it exists but it does 

I rent a multiscene skybox to an agency and have found out that when people are inside, it rezzes but when people leave, it vanishes.

I did not know it would work that way : it's not explained in the informative notecards, nor by the owners.

I understand it's a great system for prims saving, but I payed for 4 weeks and am disappointed because for diverse reasons I loose completely the immersive feeling by knowing and seeing my home rezzing only when I land in there...

I have contacted the owners, but no response yet.

I would like to know if you knew about this system, what do you think about it and if you think it's possible to stop it.

Thank you ! 

The benefit of that system is that you can change the appearance of your home whenever you feel like doing so. Did I know about the system? Yes. My opinion? It's a good system for those who like that kind of convenience without paying a lot of money for homes and furnishings.

You've only paid for 4 weeks. When your rent is up, if it still bothers you that the home derezzes then move to another location.

3 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

The light in my fridge is off when I'm not looking - how dissapointing. :)

I guess that when you open the fridge, the content of the fridge is there whether the light is turned on or not.

Not like when you land back to your home and see everything turning and rezzing all around you, finally filling the void under your feet after 10-15 seconds.

Also I like to cam in others homes to enjoy and inspire their decors, as well as I like others people doing so with my home. Seeing only some of their furnitures/accessories suspended in the void because their homes are not rezzed is disappointing and ridiculous. I've checked some multiscenes on the ground too and that is so bad to see parcels around being empty or with just, here again, some furnitures/accessories suspended in the air. That ruins the immersion feeling. I'm on SL for immersion feeling, what about you ?

And finally, I also love, when I struggle in RL, to know that in my virtual world my little home is there, waiting for me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Domitiille said:

Also I like to cam in others homes to enjoy and inspire their decors, as well as I like others people doing so with my home. Seeing only some of their furnitures/accessories suspended in the void because their homes are not rezzed is disappointing and ridiculous. I've checked some multiscenes on the ground too and that is so bad to see parcels around being empty or with just, here again, some furnitures/accessories suspended in the air. That ruins the immersion feeling. I'm on SL for immersion feeling, what about you ?

Given a typical skybox rental parcel and how seldom multiple accounts might be online at the same time, I think it is a rather ingenious way to save on resources. 

Not everyone is in SL for the same reasons.  I seldom pay much attention to the areas around my home, other than derendering anything totally obnoxious, so it wouldn't bother me much to have something like this going on near my home.

1 hour ago, Domitiille said:

And finally, I also love, when I struggle in RL, to know that in my virtual world my little home is there, waiting for me.

Since you don't like that type of setup, you should definitely ask questions and investigate any new rentals that you consider when you are ready to move.

• Like 1

The skybox does not exist. It's some data on a server. If you look at it - your Viewer draws a model of the skybox. If you log out and nobody else looks - the skybox is again just a load of data on a server no less no more. It doesnt matter if that data is stored in the inworld sim memory or somewhere else.

If you see that differently you are renting the wrong type of home.

At the moment you share resources with others. If you rent your own space you will have to pay more. But since you feel that way - do it. You look for a permanent skybox (if they still exist) or a parcel of land. On a parcel you can build on the ground or put your own skybox.

This is quite unusual in SL. Most objects are there all the time. You should be getting a huge discount for a part time arrangement like that. The landlord is sharing prims amongst multiple tenants, hoping they don't all log in at the same time.

This has nothing to do with the skybox being changeable. There are changeable skyboxes that are always on. A group I'm in has one, and it's always there. Sounds like you have a changeable skybox where one of the options is "off", and the landlord is using that feature to cram more tenants onto the same land.

It's nice to feel that way. It's the way SL usually works. Your land has computer resources dedicated to it full time. That's why land in SL is expensive. You can have things happening on your land when you're not there.  Even if nobody is watching.

Try taking Lindall Kidd's class at Oxbridge Caledon on renting and buying land. You can probably get what you want inexpensively. Next class, Saturday at noon Second Life time, which is Pacific Standard Time.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

They do this to squeeze more people into the same number of prims (after all if the house isn't rezzed when you aren't there, those prims can be used to rez someone's house who is there). Contacting whoever you rent from is likely to be pointless as it is part of their business model to do this. They are extremely unlikely to make an exception for you so your house stays rezzed taking up prims 24x7 so you would be better off looking for a new place to rent.

I have rented there before I believe, or at least at a multi-scene places where homes did de-rezz when you weren't there. May be the same rental, may be another one doing this.

I was actually quite happy with the set up. The less amount of items/scripts rezzed that would go unused anyway because the renter isn't there, the less laggy things as a whole for those who ARE online and in their home.

Unlike those horrible rentals where they stack one box on top of another and its lag hell for everyone involved even though there's only 4-5 people in the sim.

Have you tried contacting the owner of the rental place and told them about your concerns?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

I have rented there before I believe, or at least at a multi-scene places where homes did de-rezz when you weren't there. May be the same rental, may be another one doing this.

I was actually quite happy with the set up. The less amount of items/scripts rezzed that would go unused anyway because the renter isn't there, the less laggy things as a whole for those who ARE online and in their home.

Unlike those horrible rentals where they stack one box on top of another and its lag hell for everyone involved even though there's only 4-5 people in the sim.

Have you tried contacting the owner of the rental place and told them about your concerns?

Instead, they have a bunch of scripted sensors to detect when people are in the area so everything can get rezzed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Instead, they have a bunch of scripted sensors to detect when people are in the area so everything can get rezzed.

From personal experience having rented parcels in both such places over the years...I would much rather deal with some scripted sensors than fully kitted out sky boxes stacked so close you see the bottom of the one above you with a 150 draw distance.

My pet peeve is a skybox that derezzes when I am there, the result of being rather carefreeless in the edit window, and apparently unable to remember there's a "lock" checkbox.

I think the only solution is to move. Even if the landowner allowed you to keep your skybox permanently rezzed, that doesn't address your desire to see others' homes.

During the years I spent non-negligible time in-world, I scripted quite a few objects to rezz only when I (or my partner) was within sensor range. I made a fire pit with flames that only lit when both of us were present. I thought it was a nice idea when I built it, but I underestimated the effect. It was lovely to see SL react to our presence.

The only reason I would want my skybox to persist after log-out is so that other people might use it in my absence.

8 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Yeah and the sensors probably cause more lag than a house rezzed out unless for some odd reason the house is full of running scripts (Unlikely)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.