My hair doesn't show, then doesn't remove.......

BelindaN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys, I'm in need of some idiot coaching...…….. *pulls face*

So first thing is that I'm told my hair isn't showing, even though it does to me...….not fancy hair, quite simple hair. I try to remove it but although it goes white in my outfit list it stays on.

If I change to another saved outfit it appears with the other hair from that outfit (to me).

I've tested this just now with my Alt...…..and I'm not keen on the bald look...……...

If I log off and relog it's OK until I tp, when sometimes the whole thing repeats.

I suspect you might tell me to clear the cache. I have no idea how to do that! Please be patient!!! I've searched the properties tabs and searched on the term but I'm no wiser.

So.......any advice is welcome.... 

It sounds like your hair got "ghosted" on teleport/region change.
This is a known bug & most often happens to attachments that share an attachment point with other attachments.

When this attachment "ghosting" happens, the attachment is still locally attached as far as the viewer is concerned, and you see the attachment on your own screen.
However the region thinks you are not wearing the attachment & so no observers can see it.
Because the attachment isn't worn as far as the region is concerned, scripts in the attachment will not function.

You cannot detach the ghosted attachment because when you tell the viewer to detach it, the viewer sends a detach request to the region.
The region comes back & says "Nope!  Can't detach that because it's not worn".

If you happen to use Firestorm viewer, going to the top menu bar: Avatar -> Avatar Health -> Refresh Attachments will fix the state of the ghosted attachment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

To fix it atleast temporarily, right click your item in inventory and select Add > pick a slot you never use, like.. right hind foot, if it's rigged, it doesn't matter the weights will position it correctly.

Once you use Add, then detach and wear it again, it'll remember the new slot/location.

This happens a lot with bodies and heads, because Heads and Hair all get lumped onto the Skull point by creators, heavy downloading head + hair on the same slot and this is bound to happen.

For bodies it's the same, AV Center and Pelvis is where they go as a rule by makers... but every wearable pet or toy goes on AV center, and pants and smalls go on Pelvis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2019 at 11:45 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

It sounds like your hair got "ghosted" on teleport/region change.
This is a known bug & most often happens to attachments that share an attachment point with other attachments.

When this attachment "ghosting" happens, the attachment is still locally attached as far as the viewer is concerned, and you see the attachment on your own screen.
However the region thinks you are not wearing the attachment & so no observers can see it.
Because the attachment isn't worn as far as the region is concerned, scripts in the attachment will not function.

You cannot detach the ghosted attachment because when you tell the viewer to detach it, the viewer sends a detach request to the region.
The region comes back & says "Nope!  Can't detach that because it's not worn".

If you happen to use Firestorm viewer, going to the top menu bar: Avatar -> Avatar Health -> Refresh Attachments will fix the state of the ghosted attachment.

Sooo, ghosting has not in fact stopped altogether; it still haunts (intended) the grid? I'm not at all sure I like this version. Instead of your entire avatar/persona being trapped in some region you forgot you even visited, now bits of you are. That's kinda creepy.

Edited by Dillon Levenque

On 2/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, Ipecac Burnham said:

To fix it atleast temporarily, right click your item in inventory and select Add > pick a slot you never use, like.. right hind foot, if it's rigged, it doesn't matter the weights will position it correctly.

Once you use Add, then detach and wear it again, it'll remember the new slot/location.

This happens a lot with bodies and heads, because Heads and Hair all get lumped onto the Skull point by creators, heavy downloading head + hair on the same slot and this is bound to happen.

For bodies it's the same, AV Center and Pelvis is where they go as a rule by makers... but every wearable pet or toy goes on AV center, and pants and smalls go on Pelvis.

Do this with a LAQ head, and you will have a little white box following you. 

Just now, Griss Alexandre said:

Do this with a LAQ head, and you will have a little white box following you.  

And this is why we alpha our roots...

I'd send said creators a polite notecard asking for one that doesn't have a prim perhaps, or.. try another spot like a pec or upper leg if it's not offset from <0.0,0.0,0.0>.

Failing that... buy yes mod hair, move that and alpha the root yourself, or unlink it!.

There's no reason I can see that a rigged mesh needs a visible linked prim root unless maybe masking creators yet I can't see bigger brands needing that either.

The joys of SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.