Why is Second Life so laggy now compared to the past?

Rohan Dockal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Digit Gears said:

And most wouldn't notice the difference if it had a slight more realistic style to the shape, It could still look better, made better, less taxing on the systems, and possibly even easier to make stuff for. Mostly just talking about the body, the head is certainly more toon style, but most human bodies don't come with heads.

Of course people would notice the difference, the vast majority come here for a social experience, they want as near to real as it gets they don't come here to pew pew

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Digit Gears said:

And most wouldn't notice the difference if it had a slight more realistic style to the shape, It could still look better, made better, less taxing on the systems, and possibly even easier to make stuff for. Mostly just talking about the body, the head is certainly more toon style, but most human bodies don't come with heads.

On top of which one of the biggest niches in SL are photographers and I am damn sure they don't want to photograph cartoons

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haselden said:

However I think Linden Labs could actually benefit alot if they only hired a few Video Game Designers.

They've had a position open for a Senior Graphics Engineer for sometime now. Although, it still seems to be open for grabs. 🤔 Whether that means they will have video game industry experience is another matter since the position doesn't specifically request it.

Cool bit of info - A past virtual world known as "Cloud Party" had former game designers. They managed to create a virtual world officially within the Chrome browser utilizing the AWS cloud (yeah they were using the cloud way before SL) and even add VR support (later on) back around in 2012-2013. They (the team, not so much the product) eventually got bought out by Yahoo and the world was closed.

Edited by Kurshie Muromachi
Added link to their VR game

20 minutes ago, Digit Gears said:

Also, to add on to stuff about how things can still look good if not better with optimized styles. If someone made a Male/Female body on SL like this, it could easily rival the current main ones in style and quality.

image.png.2f9dd5310bf321e569fed2b1d8f3023a.png

Heres a fun thought I will start a new thread shall I using this image and ask people to indicate  yes or no as to whether they would find this body style a suitable substitute for their mesh. I am pretty sure it would be a resounding hell no

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TiaShaw said:

IMO if you bought the best gaming pc. 3 years ago, for example  I7-7700k with 16gigs of ram DDR4 3200mhz and nvidia geforce gtx1080 8gig. You wont run ultra settings in 1080p with 128m draw distance and still maintain over 30fps without tinkering with reducing settings  draw on dropping to high and reducing draw from there. SL is a totally Different animal to build an optimal PC for .. I Obsessively am testing cpu/gpu combinations AMD Ryzen vs Intel cpu and graphics AMD Radeon vs Nvidia Geforce cards i have everything gtx from a gtx570, gtx960,4gb, gtx1050ti, gtx1060 6gb, gtx1080 8gb, and 2x  gtx1080ti 11gb, .. then on AMD rx580 8gb, vega 56, vega64, i have 5 different desktop platforms i7-3770  i7-7700k overclocked 4.8ghz not delidded, i9-9900k overclocked 5.1ghz 8cores/16 threads.. AMD Ryzen R5 2400g and AMD Ryzen R7 1800X . I have tested everything mixed and matched cpu/ gpu. Optimised ram timings ..overclocks coolers air and water, cinebench Etc Etc as well as streaming to Twitch while recording on OBS, everything tested at 1080p and 4k uhd in secondlife and sansar in VR oculus Rift and desktop... ext. there are so many variations but my conclusion (my opinion) gtx1060 6gb or Rx480 8gb minimum spec., 16 gigs of ram, not hdd storage,  bty (stop deleting your cache it’s there for a reason)., cpu- intel quad core i5 or i7 with 4 fast cores over 4ghz.,  secondlife doesnt use more than 2 cores . Every instance of firestorm you log into uses about 4.1gigs or ram. So 8x Alt accounts = 32gb ram needed.   if you are overwhelmed by lag . Check your task manager, click on performance.. you can see in realtime what is using your pc resources and see what can be upgraded... nvidia has new graphics drivers every 2weeks. Did you switch from a nvidia graphics card to amd? Or vise versa? U have to use a free program DDU (display driver uninstaller)  the drivers will conflict and lower performance. I have been typing this at work on my phone. Rambling. i hope I helped someone somehow if you have a question about upgrading or need help. email me tiashaw.sl@gmail.com.i help people for for free and i never sell anything. Fact. I gave away 2x gaming pc’s in the last year. To friends i made in sl . In oregon and in california.. my  RL certifications  CompTia A+ Plus (pre2000) also MCSE (microsoft certified solutions expert)

I am not even going to try to read what appears to be the longest run on sentence I've ever seen.

tl;dr WTH? where are the paragraphs?

6 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

People who insist on holding onto ancient computers and saying SL should run fine on them are doing exactly that though, they dont want upgrading to be their problem so they want the experience to be degraded so they don't have to. Which reduces the experience for those of us that have more recent computers (ie the last 5 years). They very much want it to be not their problem and become others problem

Gentle reminder that some of us simply can't afford to upgrade or buy a new pc (or hardware) every 2-3 years to keep up with the software demands. I know you are not one of the people who believe the poor and/or disabled/ill/elderly should not be allowed to have any enjoyment out of life. Sometimes we hold on to the old out of necessity, not stubbornness. Because we can't afford to replace.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Digit Gears said:

Most people would notice the difference, I come to SL for photography mainly focussing on realism. To avoid so much lag you could click on preferences and reduce the graphics, for example if the choice is on quality the lag is huge, if you reduced it to high or medium SL will run better. You can reduce shadows even or restrict the avatar complexity. All of these choices will make SL run smoother. 

angel1_003.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Because there would be no degradation if it was done properly to begin with. Most content I inspect can easily be slashed in half if not to a third and you will be unable to tell the difference.

And before you reply: I'm not calling you blind, it's just that badly optimized.

Except the creators would know the difference and that can be a problem for some. Knowing it is of lesser quality than originally made can weigh far more heavily on a creator. I know it would bother the hell out of me.

For me personally, optimization is a good thing but it can be taken too far. You seem to be taking it too far and that is why people are being resistant. No one wants lesser quality products even if they can't visually tell the difference. They know it and that can be a turnoff.

On the other hand there are still those of us who are so prim conscience, due to having been in SL so long, that we still use fewer items to achieve the  same results. Not something that is easily done. Especially when the variety of items you have to work with are slim to none. Sure you can get similar results with less but the person who did the work knows it could have been better and is left feeling... disappointed. That disappointment builds after a while to a point where the creator just says eff it and quits creating. 

So do we want fewer or more creators. Note that is a statement and not a question that requires an answer.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Here's a better example then that's closer to SL's range of realisim

[Source https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8b3KO ]

image.png.d34f2f0d44779b4752107130da727113.png

image.thumb.png.88e01c65d28894d25b252fc3725fc31f.png

image.png.bc3ed6b675c09ed34b7b56330a3e8d92.png

You are just pulling my leg now aren't you. Sorry you score 0 for effort there. If I wanted that low level of realism I would be playing some crappy mmo

1 minute ago, Digit Gears said:

So what.. was what I posted too realistic this time? v:

No it still fell short, learn to read maybe

I said

"If I wanted that low level of realism I would be playing some crappy mmo"

note the bolded word please

Low....this means less than

So I ran the benchmark on my tater that rarely has any trouble running SL at just below Ultra just for grins n giggles.

image.thumb.png.80936becfde022852129ecaa6d19d2fc.png

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19205705

I told you it is a tater. And the only time I get any stuttering is when I've been logged in for hours without relogging or rebooting. Rarely do I need to reboot to stop the stuttering. Relogging usually takes care of it.

Oh and while the benchmark was running I had my browser open and was doing a couple of other things. My pc slowed a little but not enough to be frustrating.

ETA: Oh neat... after scrolling down a bit I found this:

UserBenchmarks: Game 30%, Desk 36%, Work 29%
CPU: AMD FX-8300 - 41.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 - 35.3%
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 97.5%
USB: WD My Book 1230 2TB - 58.5%
RAM: Samsung M378B1G73DB0-CK0 24GB - 43.8%
MBD: Asus M51BC

The My Book is my external drive.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

For the tech savvyy people, here are the official system requirements. How realistic are those minimums? Linden Lab is misleading people and they fail to adress in a timely manner the issues that would have to be fixed if SL was to become what they try to sell it as. That is not good no matter how you look at it.

It's a mess of nonsense. The minimum requirements won't even load SL properly under Windows 10, much less run it. The Intel GMA 945 won't run it under 8 either. The Radeon 9000 series won't run it on anything later than Vista.

The Mac requirements are gibberish that amount to systems that never existed. I think someone just changed "G3" on the original SL requirements to "1.5 GHz Intel" then called it a day

1 minute ago, Digit Gears said:

@KanryDrago

Well, I'm afraid our standards for "realisim' are at odds then, cause to me,  your fellow looks much toonier than the gal I posted v:

Well I guess we will have to disagree your pics were an angular mess where the straight lines were blatantly obvious to anyone who hasnt poked themselves in both eyes. If that was the level of avi I suspect sl would have half its current user base by now. I certainly wouldn't have bothered with it. As I said if I want that low fidelity of an avi I will go play eso, tera or some gta

• Like 1

How bout this guy then, surely this can't be less realistic than ye olde gruff vampire SL man.

Model quality is pretty much the same as the gal I posted above with a maybe stronger lean to realisim in the overall style.

[I'd link the source, but it seems to be a dead end, all I could get was the image link to open]

image.png.e3830d4a6a7698c63a3935c70f6085dc.png

Edited by Digit Gears

4 minutes ago, Digit Gears said:

How bout this guy then, surely this can't be less realistic than ye olde gruff vampire SL man.

Model quality is pretty much the same as the gal I posted above with a maybe stronger lean to realisim in the overall style.

closer but still banana and you are forgetting static pictures dont tell the whole story. Lack of polygons is important in animations and its when you get the linear nature showing. Probably doesnt matter to you because you obviously dont care about realism that much judging by the first avi you suggested

you keep posting avis from games....lets make it clear if I didnt care about realism i would be playing those games not sl. I play sl because it gives me a level of realism for social interactions I cannot get on games and yes I have played a hell of a lot of mmo's

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Like 1

image.png.f9d3937087de6544b604df7a63c7044a.png

image.png.0f394069995b6869303407ee821c0da2.png

wat.gif.f1de060450c0f0e4cdcb05b46bb1fe68.gif

In case you didnt notice that pic isnt a screenshot its a photo that has been altered

I assumed you would realise that without me spelling it out. Still remains 3 people have rejected your initial avi suggestion none have spoken for it except you.

Yes a better Avi, but can you say that this would be less taxing on the lag.. the beauty of sl is that you can add to your avi.. clothing, tattoos, facial features that move and hands that move by themselves.. its not just a static avatar in sl. If all of that was added to this it would still be taxing on the pc, and create lag.

8 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

In case you didnt notice that pic isnt a screenshot its a photo that has been altered

I assumed you would realise that without me spelling it out. Still remains 3 people have rejected your initial avi suggestion none have spoken for it except you.

That's cause you two focused on the toony nature of that inital one, hence why I tried to find a pair that were closer to a realisim style which you somehow seem to think still aren't good enough compared to your toony macho vampire werewolf man look.

The third person from that other thread was missing context that to the initial post and only focused on the fact that character model was already fulled fused to clothing v:

Also, are you saying your own screenshot was altered, or talkin bout the last guy I posted, if so, what's altered about it?

Though I can see one spot you might think looks altered, the facial hair, but I can easily also show that it's part of the model

image.png.6895927431fea0b0545ac44eabc45896.png

All those tiny squares scattered around the jawline, the hair isn't much different from a lot of other existing hairdos on SL, sadly, hair's just kind of one of those parts of a model that tend to take up a lot of polys to capture the wild organic nature of it.

Edited by Digit Gears

That's cause you two focused on the toony nature of that inital one, hence why I tried to find a pair that were closer to a realisim style which you somehow seem to think still aren't good enough compared to your toony macho vampire werewolf man look.

The third person from that other thread was missing context that to the initial post and only focused on the fact that character model was already fulled fused to clothing v:

Also, are you saying your own screenshot was altered, or talkin bout the last guy I posted, if so, what's altered about it?

It doesnt matter which of the avatars. You are confusing avatars built to work with maybe 50 animations and 6 or 7 hairstyles etc where it can all be tested and modified before hand to make sure it looks right with avatars that have to work with 1000's of animations 1000's of hair styles etc. You are comparing apples with oranges. Your avatars go rip the mesh for them and then try them in sl and I would bet they fail big time in many situations. 

The point about the photo is because it wasnt a direct screen shot and had been softened and filtered. It was a profile pic that was taken and then put through gimp. In world I will still take my avi over any of those you posted. I also pointed out it was an older body and not one of the newer bento ones which have only become more realistic.

You maybe happy with cartoons. Most people arent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.