Inspiration for Line of Taylor Swift Fashion NEED HELP

NerDee79

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lord, I don't even know where to start. I've been inspired by the style of Taylor Swift, both on stage and street style. So I looked into learning how to create clothing. Lord I have a long way to go to learn that. I was wondering if there is someone out there that would like to start a line of fashion inspired by Tay Tay. I dunno how involved I'd be. I'd be fine with just sparking the idea in someone who knows how to make quality mesh clothing, or if they would want help with research of the fashion or even learning how to do things myself. I'm really ok with any level of involvement if someone would give me the clothes I'm DYING for! LOL HMU in world if you'd like to chat more about it.

Sorry but I really don't think I  would be of much help to you..  As a designer I know I cannot afford to cater to any one celebrity style, or any one style at all for that matter.   I feel I need to produce styles that would attract more than one tiny section of the population,  and produce a wide range of different looks and styles.. But then I cannot speak for others, so that is just my opinion.

A problem might be copyrights. If you copy her style exactly, you will copy someone else their fashion designs. Im not an expert on her style, but if this is accurate, then I think you will have better luck looking around current fashion designers and pick up bits and parts everywhere and put them together as outfits, because those styles are found spread all over the designers in game already. Check out events like C88, Uber, Cosmo etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

A problem might be copyrights. If you copy her style exactly, you will copy someone else their fashion designs. Im not an expert on her style, but if this is accurate, then I think you will have better luck looking around current fashion designers and pick up bits and parts everywhere and put them together as outfits, because those styles are found spread all over the designers in game already. Check out events like C88, Uber, Cosmo etc.

I second this.

You can not copy a celebrities look, style, or appearance. It violates copyright law. 

• Like 1

quoted from: https://www.newmediarights.org/business_models/artist/can_you_copyright_clothing_designs

Can you copyright clothing designs?

Yes, sometimes, but in most cases, no. As with every legal question, there’s always general rule and then a mountain of exceptions to that rule. The extent that clothing can be copyrighted is one of those questions that lawyers and judges are still testing the limits of even today.

It might be a fashion faux-pas to copy someone’s style, but it may be a surprise to learn that making a direct or substantially similar copy of clothing, in many circumstances is legal, because clothing designs are rarely protected by copyright law specifically.

I'm pretty much unfamiliar with Taylor Swift Style. Looking at her blog she doesn't seem to be the designer of the fashions she wears. If that is the case, then her style for sure is not protected. Depending on whose clothing she is wearing the individual garments might have some protection but that would take research to figure out. Honestly, from what I've seen her style will not translate well into what mesh can do in SL. How mesh responds to avatar movement and the limitations of rigging make some styles just a no go here. 

I totally understand where you're coming from though. I know when I first started making clothing for the system body all those years ago it was because I couldn't find what I wanted to wear. I tend to like more modest, classic looking clothing and those were few and far between way back in the day (still is). So my solution was to learn how to make clothing. I think your best bet is to take on the challenge yourself. I doubt seriously you're going to find any creator willing to take on that battle for you. I use Gimp and Blender for all my work. I do own Marvelous Designer but I don't use it for SL. Gimp and Blender are freeware so the price is right. There are lots and lots of tutorials available in YouTube for both programs. I personally love Chic Aeon's Blender tutorials. They are a great place to start your journey into Blender. 

Tazzie. thanks for your response. Just to clarify I didn't expect anyone to ONLY do this. I expect it would just be a series.

As for everyone else talking about copyright, the clothes she wears aren't HER design, they are other people's clothes she puts together. I'm not looking to copy DESIGN, but STYLE. They are two different things and I would never expect to do anything exactly down to the detail. That's what talking more about it would have been for anyone interested. But thanks for all the information, ladies. 

However, I have started to try to put together some similar looks inspired by her. If you'd like to check it out (i only have a few posts so far) my blog is https://oxymoronsl.wordpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I totally feel you NarDee79, I don't know if you can accomplish this.. (if you ever do IM me so I ca get the looks..).. ❤️
I think the best way would be to find pieces that look similar and re-create a certain style.. there has been taylor swift's looks on the mp before.. I remember the versace grammy dress recreate it by miss chelsea.. I Couldn't find it anymore nor I remember the name.. I could find this photo from a blogger back in 2016

40145316281_6c4aca08a8_k.jpgWildest Dreams by JoJo Kamm, en Flickr

But you can still find some pieces that work.. for the REP era for example.. the rainbow dress... Cotton has a pretty similar one is not the same.. but it has the essence

47279672282_d1fe490956_k.jpgRainbow Girl by Carolina Schön, en Flickr

with the right styling you can maybe recreate some iconic looks.. If your up to it maybe we could do a special collab recreating some TS fashion ❤️

xoxo

C. 

3 minutes ago, CarolinaSchoen said:

I totally feel you NarDee79, I don't know if you can accomplish this.. (if you ever do IM me so I ca get the looks..).. ❤️
I think the best way would be to find pieces that look similar and re-create a certain style.. there has been taylor swift's looks on the mp before.. I remember the versace grammy dress recreate it by miss chelsea.. I Couldn't find it anymore nor I remember the name.. I could find this photo from a blogger back in 2016

40145316281_6c4aca08a8_k.jpgWildest Dreams by JoJo Kamm, en Flickr

But you can still find some pieces that work.. for the REP era for example.. the rainbow dress... Cotton has a pretty similar one is not the same.. but it has the essence

47279672282_d1fe490956_k.jpgRainbow Girl by Carolina Schön, en Flickr

with the right styling you can maybe recreate some iconic looks.. If your up to it maybe we could do a special collab recreating some TS fashion ❤️

xoxo

C. 

Nevermind, I see you already do this.. nice blog ❤️

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 1:20 PM, animats said:

You're really trying to copy Joseph Cassell, her stylist.

She wears a ton of clothes from lots of other designers too, I own a lot of them for real and I just buy what I like. If you're a fan of her, she likes specific types of things like anyone else. It's pretty easy to recreate her more casual looks and a couple of her other event looks from Jan-March of this year.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.